corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Regional Groups & Events » North West and North Wales » fibreglass bonnet and tailgate

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author fibreglass bonnet and tailgate
GLSi GUY

User status: Offline
   12th Sep 04 at 09:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

here are some pics of my new bonnet and tailgate,

the tailgate now has a window in it. i used the origional hinges from an old bootlid, just used a grinder to chop them off, and bolted them to the new one. its held closed by two bonnet pins at the bottom.

http://www.byebyegti.com/uploadgarage/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=-181&pos=0

the bonnet also uses the origional hinges and is held closed by bonnet pins.

http://www.byebyegti.com/uploadgarage/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=-181&pos=1

there is a HUGE difference i weight between the standard and fibreglass components.

[Edited on 12-09-2004 by GLSi GUY]
Mo

12th Sep 04 at 14:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there'll be a huge difference when u crash as well
GLSi GUY

12th Sep 04 at 15:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

good thing i got bucket seats, harnesses and a roll cage then isnt it.
langey

12th Sep 04 at 16:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

some one could just walk over, lean on the boot and it will fall through
GLSi GUY

12th Sep 04 at 16:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

or they could just unclip the pins. would be easier

Mo

12th Sep 04 at 19:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by GLSi GUY
good thing i got bucket seats, harnesses and a roll cage then isnt it.

and what if some hits u from behind? the cars gonna end up ontop of your rollcage
GLSi GUY

12th Sep 04 at 19:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the bonnet and boot lid are not structual parts of the car. so whats your point?

BTW these parts are made for rally cars, and they are more likely to have crashes than a road car.

a TVR's body is fibreglass, so is a westfield, what happens if your in a convertable the driver rolls it? there are worse cars to be in, in a crash.

L33 LEG
Banned

13th Sep 04 at 08:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

good work i reckon. great weigh to loose weight cos that bonnet u had before weighed a feckin tonne

whens the engine going in?
Mo

13th Sep 04 at 10:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
the bonnet and boot lid are not structual parts of the car. so whats your point?

BTW these parts are made for rally cars, and they are more likely to have crashes than a road car.

a TVR's body is fibreglass, so is a westfield, what happens if your in a convertable the driver rolls it? there are worse cars to be in, in a crash.

a TVR's body stucture has been designed to have a fibre shell a corsa hasn't and how many convertables have u seen rolled???

BTW i hope no-one breaks into the car via the fibre glass boot lid

[Edited on 13-09-2004 by Mo]
dan_sri

13th Sep 04 at 11:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why oh why
Adam_B

13th Sep 04 at 14:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

think ur all missing the point here, the idea is purley to save weight. I dont think robs to bothered about someone breaking in as there isnt going to be anything to nick
boyracer2002

13th Sep 04 at 14:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how much was the tailgate mate coz im thinking of doing a full fibreglass one to save weight n stuff no sinking or cracking :Lol:
langey

13th Sep 04 at 16:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by boyracer2002
how much was the tailgate mate coz im thinking of doing a full fibreglass one to save weight n stuff no sinking or cracking :Lol:

wont the flaming kit fuck it up??

rob whats the point going to all that trouble to reduce weight, then put in a 1.4 engine??

why not save on that and just whack a red top in there??
GLSi GUY

13th Sep 04 at 17:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

leggy, just waiting for the engine at the moment, as corsa120 is getting a 2.0l conversion, and i gotta wait till he hets his old engine taken out (my new 1.4) should be a couple of weeks. its worth the wait tho, as its done just over 30k out of a 1999 corsa sport he wants £310 and it comes with a janspeed manifold too

adam is correct, as i aint bothered if anyone breaks into my car, as there is gonna be nothing inside it to steal.

mo, the corsa's body isnt fibreglass, just the boot and bonnet, and they arn't structual parts of the car.

boyracer, the boot was £125+VAT, and is very very light, even with the glass in, your welcome to come round and take a look at the quality of the parts.

langy, i cant afford insurance on a 2.0l as i am a student and i have 0 ncb. pluss i can enter sprints and hill climbs for modified road cars under 1400cc

just started my new college course, and been speaking to a guy who used to be a welder and fabricator, he has made stainless systems for his cars (currently has a 320 BMW), so i'm gonna see if he would make me a system for mine, with the back box (my new tuneable carbonfibre one) coming out of the boot lid, and maybee get him to make a stainless inboard fueltank.
langey

13th Sep 04 at 18:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sprints and hill climbs? what evere floats your boat

GLSi GUY

13th Sep 04 at 21:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just somthing interesting to do, rather than just the usual driving round and racing novas, lol
HeNdie

13th Sep 04 at 23:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
just somthing interesting to do, rather than just the usual driving round and racing novas, lol

wtf is it tho?
boyracer2002

14th Sep 04 at 10:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

langey i wouldnt have thought so if its made right,

yeah mate i might pop over and have a look sometime does it fit well and all the gaps ok? all strong enough for the boot lock n stuff n where the window sits in?
Mo

14th Sep 04 at 12:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just testing to see if u knew what u had done
GLSi GUY

14th Sep 04 at 17:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

aye, i know what i've done

the gaps are a tiny winy bit larger than the origionals, and the boot is quite strong, as its double skinned. i dont know if its possiable to put a standard type lock on it as there are no holes to gain access. i'll take a pic to show you what i mean.

GLSi GUY

14th Sep 04 at 17:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by HeNdie
quote:

wtf is it tho?

hill climbing is where there is a twistly road up a hill, and you get up it as fast as possiable. there is one car on the track, so you cant crash into any cars (just trees, people, barriers etc). who ever gets the fastest time wins. they have different classes of cars. eg, modified road cars (classes split into engine sizes), modified non-road cars, etc

sprints are either on a track, or marked out by cones. same kinda thing as a hill climbs, where there is one car on the track and you just get round it as fast as possiable.
GLSi GUY

14th Sep 04 at 17:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as you can see on this pic (click the link) http://www.byebyegti.com/uploadgarage/displayimage.php?pos=-1261

the the inner skin is one single molded peice. the bit that covers the locks and wiper motor etc on a standard boot (its a carboard type thing with carpet on it) doesnt exist but looks like a pannel has been riveted on, but it hasnt, its just part of the inner skin.

you could cut out that bit, and then attatch the locks etc to the boot, then cover the hole with the carboard type thing with carpet on it (off the standard boot). my oppinion is that it would be strong enough to take the standard locking mechanism.

on my bootlid, i just used bonnet pins, but cant lock it (unless i use a padlock or somthing.)

[Edited on 14-09-2004 by GLSi GUY]
HeNdie

14th Sep 04 at 22:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sounds good, i'd probably suck tho since i crashed on a corner are they local or do you travel round?
Mo

15th Sep 04 at 12:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

rob how much did u pick up the bonnet for? i'm thinking of getting one and badboying it
GLSi GUY

15th Sep 04 at 17:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the events are held all around the country. but there is a north england champoinship for hill climbing.

the bonnet was £100 +VAT should be easy to bad boy and will be nice and light

[Edited on 15-09-2004 by GLSi GUY]

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Regional Groups & Events » North West and North Wales » fibreglass bonnet and tailgate 23 database queries in 0.0167131 seconds