corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Wireless Networking...

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Wireless Networking...
Voyto

User status: Offline
30th Sep 04 at 07:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok, ive just invested in a wireless laptop (centrino)

what do i have to do now so that i can use the internet with no wires on it? Not too hot with this stuff so any help appreciated

Nobber

30th Sep 04 at 07:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

turn on the Wireless LAN card and find a place with wireless internet access!
James_DT

30th Sep 04 at 08:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Or, if you want it at home, you need a wireless router, or a wireless access point connected to your main computer.
Super_si

30th Sep 04 at 08:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just done this myself. Im using 802.11g standard. Picking up the router today then should have a pretty fast connection anywhere in the house

Si
Half Pint

30th Sep 04 at 08:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

me too just invested in a linksys wireless G access point and PCMIA wireless network card card for me laptop
Foz

30th Sep 04 at 08:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a 2 computer wireless network from linksys. you basically subscribe to broadband and then plug the router into a power socket and a phoneline. put a wireless network card into your rig and install the software, it will then detect the router and bingo.
go on www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk this is where i got all my stuff.
Super_si

30th Sep 04 at 08:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bet youve got the same as me half pint
Half Pint

30th Sep 04 at 08:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

James_DT

30th Sep 04 at 08:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine was done over 2 years ago so it's all 802.11b, but as it really only gets used for the internet it doesn't matter.
Gregor

30th Sep 04 at 15:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whats the cheapest you can buy something like this for , inc everything required?
Voyto

30th Sep 04 at 18:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok kinda understand the above :S

First, i dont have broadband, im only on dial up so can it all still be done and....

Preferably id like to be able to access the net without having to turn on the main computer and dial up every time. Can i dial straight from the laptop wirelessly?
Voyto

30th Sep 04 at 18:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its Midband Dial up if that makes any difference? Plugs into my PC via USB and not a normal phone line
Dom

30th Sep 04 at 18:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so its isdn??

you can get isdn routers, but it wouldnt be worth it tbh mate. Easiest way would be to install a wireless card in your main pc, install a proxy server (like >> HERE <<) and then do a direct connection to your main pc. Obviously would mean having your main pc on all of the time, but an isdn modem/router is quite expensive (more so than a BB one)
Voyto

30th Sep 04 at 18:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh i c. So best thing to do would be to move home and get BB? then get a normal router?
Dom

30th Sep 04 at 18:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VoYtO LeViCh
oh i c. So best thing to do would be to move home and get BB? then get a normal router?

well what connection have you currently got? sounds like isdn to me
is it a ISDN usb modem ie: you have a seperate box that plugs in the wall, then has a usb lead to your pc?

i have had a look around mate and you can buy a wireless bb router, that has a serial connection for an external ISDN modem. So you could do it that way, plus if you get a cable broadband (adsl would require a seperate modem) then you can use it on the router as well
Half Pint

30th Sep 04 at 18:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

having problems with the connection on mine got it all setup but as soon as i move rooms it disconnects

WELL FUCKED OFF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Super_si

30th Sep 04 at 18:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fuck me its a bastard getting this router to work, im not shabby with pcs but this is a fucking joke!
Voyto

30th Sep 04 at 18:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a Box on the wall which connects to the computer via USB

I know its digital and i have 2 lines. I can connect at 64k on one line or double it up and use both lines givin me 128k. But it uses up my online time limit quicker doing that. If i could get one that does both that would be good as im gonna be moving house in about a yr where i can get BB

Thanks for Helpin Dom
Half Pint

30th Sep 04 at 19:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got it all working, went up stairs to me room and cant get a connection unless im in the same room
Super_si

30th Sep 04 at 19:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think its the MAC address that needs registering for me
Dom

30th Sep 04 at 19:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VoYtO LeViCh
I have a Box on the wall which connects to the computer via USB

I know its digital and i have 2 lines. I can connect at 64k on one line or double it up and use both lines givin me 128k. But it uses up my online time limit quicker doing that. If i could get one that does both that would be good as im gonna be moving house in about a yr where i can get BB

Thanks for Helpin Dom

aye its isdn but i dont understand the box on the wall its obviously the modem, but usually its totally seperate any chance of taking a picture just for reference?

However, if you can get access to the isdn lines (looks similar to phone line plugs) then like i said you can buy a wireless broadband router (with serial connection), then buy a isdn serial terminal adaptor, plug that into the serial port on the wireless router...and BINGO! have wireless isdn connection

Quick search on google and i came up with a ZoomAir 4165 wireless cable router, which had the extra serial connection for an external isdn/56k modem to be attached - usually used for backup, but can be used as main connection

However, this is a very expensive way of doing mate 100 odd quid for the router, and a isdn serial terminal adaptor, which i have yet to find...but ta's seem to range from 50 quid to a few 1000 Therefore, i would really look into leaving your pc on all the time with a wireless pci card (set you back about 40 quid tops for a decent card with an external aerial for better reception) Plus all you need in your new place is to buy a wireless router and thats it
Dom

30th Sep 04 at 19:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Half Pint
I got it all working, went up stairs to me room and cant get a connection unless im in the same room

sounds like weak signal mate Mount your access point as high as possible in the room mate, then with your laptop open up the signal monitoring software that came with the driver disk etc (if it didnt include one, very unlikely, you can use NetStumbler). Start monitoring your signal strenth in the same room and the walk around your property/rooms and see what it is.

When it get to about 10% strenth, then thats about as low as it can get mate So that will tell you where you physical boarder is to get a connection. And tbh there isnt alot you can do mate If the aerial(s) on the access router can be unscrewed, then you might beable to fit bigger versions or an external aerial (but google it first mate).
Dom

30th Sep 04 at 19:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Super_si
i think its the MAC address that needs registering for me

if you have NTL connection, then you are allowed 2 mac address devices per hour. If its Telewest (blueyonder) then i think your allowed the same.
If its adsl, then its dependant on your provider

Eitherway, try powering down everything, and if you have a seperate modem to the router, then power that on first, leave it about 2 minutes, then power up the router

The boot up a pc, access the router's admin page and see if it as obtained an ip address from your modem/or internet provider
if not, then switch everything off and leave it overnight and try again in the morning If that fails, tele tech support of your ISP and see what they say
Sam
Premium Member

30th Sep 04 at 20:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I recently bought a new laptop from PC World and have broadband enabled on my phone line in my room, so as my laptop has this wireless networking stuff built in already I bought a Linksys wireless router which has a built in ADSL modem, was a bit of an arse to set up at first but works perfectly now, this is with virgin.net broadband (who in case anyone didn't know, is really NTL...).
Trucido

30th Sep 04 at 22:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got all D-link AirPlus stuff its good sh*t tbh...all i had to do really was put a cd in each computer that I put a wireless card into and the router was even easier lol and it copied the existing mac address

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Wireless Networking... 22 database queries in 0.4595599 seconds