corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Networking help.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Networking help.
Mistamist

User status: Offline
29th Nov 04 at 22:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right i have 2 computers and a laptop and a belkin ADSL router, my bedroom pc is connected to the router via CAT5, the laptop and downstairs pc is connected wirelessly.

i want to be able to access any file from any pc/laptop, i can connect all of them to the internet, but i cant get them to connect to each other. they are using DHCP from the router.

they are all running XP.

where do i start?
Joff

29th Nov 04 at 22:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Once all my clients were on the same subnet, they all popped up within Local Network in Windows.
Mistamist

29th Nov 04 at 22:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

subnet meaning 255.255.255.0 ?
Nismo

29th Nov 04 at 22:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

run the Home Networking Wizard and select these machines are connected to a network that doesnt have an internet connection - once rebooted they will all find the internet connection as its DHCP / NAT.
Mistamist

29th Nov 04 at 22:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u2u sent
Dom

29th Nov 04 at 23:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

set up static ips between all of the computers to the router, then make sure those static ips are in the allow port section of your firewall on your pc/lappys and then make sure all of the subnet masks are the same (IE: 255.255.255.0 etc).

The go start > Run > type cmd, then type Ping "static ip of one of the systems" and see if you can connect to it
Joff

29th Nov 04 at 23:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by M15T XE

Well more along the lines of the differences between 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.1.1

My router and modem's on x.x.0.x where the PCs, Xbox's, etc are on x.x.1.x took me ages to get one of my Xbox's on the network because it's going through the NIC in my PC and had an IP on the 0 subnet.

Sorted it now, somehow... just got to make sure I don't change the settings!
Dom

29th Nov 04 at 23:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Joff
quote:
Originally posted by M15T XE

Well more along the lines of the differences between 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.1.1

My router and modem's on x.x.0.x where the PCs, Xbox's, etc are on x.x.1.x took me ages to get one of my Xbox's on the network because it's going through the NIC in my PC and had an IP on the 0 subnet.

Sorted it now, somehow... just got to make sure I don't change the settings!

aye, different ip ranges will also cause the systems to not see you, although they are being dished out one by the DHCP server....but eitherway, get static ips on the system...because it makes it alot easier to hunt down problems etc
net_freak

29th Nov 04 at 23:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its simple, share what ever folder you want, also put all the computers in the same work group
drunkenfool

30th Nov 04 at 01:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah make sure they are all in the same workgroup. Only go to static IPs as a last resort, as your router should be automatically assigning the right ones anyway. Can you ping the other computers on your network?
Ian
Site Administrator

30th Nov 04 at 01:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The router is assigning IP via DHCP anyway, so no worries there, aside from checking they get the sames ones when they reboot. They usually do, the leases are quite long.

Joff, you want 255.255.0.0 for that probem with the Xbox.

If you're confident, go static but its not necessary, right click My Computer, Properties, Network Identification tab or whatever its called in your version of windows, make sure the workgroup name is consistent across both machines then give the computers names also.

Then go to one and do a Start -> Run and type in the name of the other preceeded by two slashes, ie. if you're sitting at apple, type '\\orange'

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Networking help. 22 database queries in 0.0132651 seconds