corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Placement Year

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Placement Year
NovaGTE

User status: Offline
8th Dec 04 at 13:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dunno whether to bother taking my placement year as a Sandwich year is optional in my degree, has any thoughts on placement years

The money will only be around £14K and it means another year until i graduate
_Allan_

8th Dec 04 at 14:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Making cheese butties for a year, sod that!!!
Rob H

8th Dec 04 at 14:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im doing one next year hopefully. What i've been finding with my course in particular is that there really is no replacement for Work Experience. The way many companies see it is that you can get a First in your degree, but that doesnt mean you can do the job they want you to do. Completeing a placement successfully shows what your actually capable of in a work environment.
Rob C

8th Dec 04 at 14:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

get a decent placement and its worth more than the degree
Rob H

8th Dec 04 at 14:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by _Allan_

Im pretty sure if your being payed £14k you'll be doing more than making tea and sandwiches .
CorsAsh

8th Dec 04 at 14:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob H
quote:
Originally posted by _Allan_

Im pretty sure if your being payed £14k you'll be doing more than making tea and sandwiches .

Think he meant as in "sandwich year"

I'm doin mine atm, is worth it IMO, professional enhancement qualification makes you more employable as you have real world experience.
Rob H

8th Dec 04 at 14:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Doh, missed that . I know alot of people do have the opinion you'll just be tea boy for a year though .
NovaGTE

8th Dec 04 at 14:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah thats what i am thinking, i have got some good experience working for the IT section of the NHS, im also worried that i will lose the momentum for learing and forget what i have learnt in my first 2 years

[Edited on 08-12-2004 by NovaGTE]
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

8th Dec 04 at 14:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

whats the degree in?
broster
Premium Member

8th Dec 04 at 14:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im on one now, well worth it, experence counts a hell of a lot more that people think!
NovaGTE

8th Dec 04 at 14:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im doin Computing & Information Systems, i have some experience in IT as ive been in my job for about 4 years now and have gained good experience and will get a glowing reference from
Rob H

8th Dec 04 at 15:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, but surely the job your in now isnt the same as the job you want to be doing at the end of the course? The whole point of a sandwich course is doing the job you expect to be doing when you finish the course .
bradfincham

8th Dec 04 at 15:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I will be on mine the year after next, cant wait, most of the lads on there 3rd year here went to either f1 teams, btcc teams, lotus cosworth etc!
I think experience counts hello of a lot more, plus you may be offered a job there when you complete degree and will have a good reference which employers want!
broster
Premium Member

8th Dec 04 at 15:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

brad, wont be going to cosworth for a while mate, they have cancelled the student intake for a while, people i know were ment to be there this year
liamC

8th Dec 04 at 15:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by NovaGTE
I dunno whether to bother taking my placement year as a Sandwich year is optional in my degree, has any thoughts on placement years

My placement year is in Dubai.

Cant wait

Id say go for it mate wherever you go, as it gives you an advantage over everyone else who hasnt gone, as you have a years experience on your CV.
vibrio
Banned

8th Dec 04 at 15:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by NovaGTE

do it
bradfincham

8th Dec 04 at 15:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeh i heard this as well!
Decider i have is:
formula one team i wont have much respnsibility,
touring cars will be better,
small f3/old race team i used to work at i will have quite a bit and could be noticed by larger teams!
Or
Go to australia for a year and work for holden racing team (thats pretty much a confirmed choice as i know the team principal)
where you working broster
broster
Premium Member

8th Dec 04 at 15:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

we were told that the bigger companies gave you less to do and it was more boreing wit them, as they couldnt afford the mistakes and they have people to do it etc, smaller companies need you to actually work and take on real jobs.....im at a smallish company now and its true compared to other bigger ones
broster
Premium Member

8th Dec 04 at 15:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i work for a small engineering firm at the moment, but in 3months i will be going to cummins engines
bradfincham

8th Dec 04 at 15:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sounds good mate!!
broster
Premium Member

8th Dec 04 at 15:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes i have learnt more in this last 3months than i have in 2 years at uni
bradfincham

8th Dec 04 at 16:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeh thats what everyone says!
A good mate at uni races formula ford and im going to be helping him a lot next year, basically for free helping at race days, his mechanic designed the front wing on the new mclaren f1 car, so i should learnt hell of a lot!
Rob H

8th Dec 04 at 16:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by broster
we were told that the bigger companies gave you less to do and it was more boreing wit them, as they couldnt afford the mistakes and they have people to do it etc, smaller companies need you to actually work and take on real jobs.....im at a smallish company now and its true compared to other bigger ones

that can be true, but then again its company dependadnt. I know of a lad who did a year out with Ford and One of his projects was working on the new Fiesta ST. I think if you show your good enough and keep pushing throughout the year they'll let you do better stuff.

Other thing to consider is Sponsership and A job at the end of your studies. If you can get both and you enjoy the work you did, then its all good .

Deffinatly not worth ruling it our though. Apply to loads of different places and see what they have to offer. If nothing appeals, dont bother and decline their offers. You've nothing to loose .
bradfincham

8th Dec 04 at 16:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my mate is sponsored by the raf, doing aerospace engineering!
he gets 8 weeks flying lessons in the summer free, but he has to commit to 5 years service after uni, but his course is paid for and he gets 2k a year for accomadation!
Comes out of uni a qualified pilot earnign about 30k going upto 50k odd when he leaves the raf after the 5 years!
I couldnt think of nayhting more fun, shame my eyesight let me down!!
Bram

8th Dec 04 at 18:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do it, Im on mine at the mo. It'll give you the advantage over 'the other guy' who has come straight from a degree.

Employers look very highly upon it, in a lot of cases, more so than your degree score.

Also makes you appreciate Student life more, although Im enjoying my placement I cant wait to get back to uni

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Placement Year 22 database queries in 0.0099671 seconds