corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Job Application Help

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Job Application Help
Phil321

User status: Offline
9th Jan 05 at 17:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I am currently thinking of applying for a job.

Its a Graduate position with one of the country's top management consultancy firms and is super, mega competitive.

Now, I have all the academic requirements, relevant internship experience, technical skills etc and know that if I can get a first round interview I can impress. Trouble is that its not always enough and theres a section of the form which I am struggling with!

Thats where you helpful bunch come in!

The section is an extra cirricular section. I need to come up with some activities which I have taken part in during the last three years (i.e. Uni).

I need to describe the activity, detail my role/responsibility and explain the outcome.

Any ideas for stuff that I could have feasibly done which would look impressive and which I could link to relevant skills??

So far I have come up with stuff like helped organize Uni football league, which is true. Shows teamwork, motivation etc etc.

I was also a member of the Economics Society but never did anything with it so was thinking of maybe exagerrating and saying I was Secretary/Orgnaizer or something!

If anyone can help, just make a suggestion, I will be most grateful!

Cheers
Joff

9th Jan 05 at 17:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just being part of uni societies and sports teams will give you a good few brownie points.

CORSA NUT

9th Jan 05 at 17:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just don't kiss arse in the interview.Be confident and know that they have to hire you otherwise they will be missing out.

Nothing worse than people yes sir no siring in interviews!

On the Application thing i can't help sorry Being a black belt etc helps! Dedication Go get one asap.
Phil321

9th Jan 05 at 17:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Joff
Just being part of uni societies and sports teams will give you a good few brownie points.

Hoping so but I fear it will not be enough. Need to make the whole form word perfect and this section is letting me down. Need something to make it stand out.

Currently training for the marathon so I will try and work that in but its still pretty weak.
corsa5dr

9th Jan 05 at 17:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was a student representative for my course last (2nd) year. Its involved gathering information and opinions from students on my course and liasing with module and course heads regarding these issues.
Even if you were not involved with this kind of thing you can always blag it

I wanted to get into consultancy work but theres nothing around my area and I dont want to relocate. Also I dont like the idea of being constantly on the road, staying in hotels, living the lonely life etc
Good money in it though

Good luck.
corsa5dr

9th Jan 05 at 17:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh and definitely exagerrate the economics society area
Phil321

9th Jan 05 at 17:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Student rep sounds good. Might be able to pull that one off.

Really fancy the work but its just sooo competitive to even get an interview. Like you say though, the money is damn good

What you going into instead?
corsa5dr

9th Jan 05 at 18:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not sure yet to be honest, I've never had a real want to do one particular thing Ive applied for a few jobs, most are just general management graduate schemes at various company's in the South West.

I've got an interview at Lidl (Dont laugh )in a few weeks for a position as an area manager (in charge of 4-6 stores). If I get offered that job I make take it to gain some experience then re-evaluate my situation in a few years.
It pays well though (26k, plus car rising to 38k after training) and has good career prospects. Although I think I would be embarassed to say I work for Lidl's

There's loads of jobs in headhunting and recruitment consultancy around my area so Im tempted to apply for some positions in that area too.

I wish I knew exactly what I wanted to do though
Phil321

9th Jan 05 at 18:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can be good money in recruitment. I met a recruitment consultant in London who had a Ferrari 360. However, its just glorified sales and seems very unpredictable, no security etc.

Lidl sounds similar to the Aldi scheme, not bad money etc. Can always give it a go and if you hate it then just quit and try something else. You can get away with that while ya young!

[Edited on 09-01-2005 by Phil321]
corsa5dr

9th Jan 05 at 18:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mmmmm Ferrari 360

Yeah thats true, I might even have a go at management consultancy if I hate it, as I wont mind relocating in a few years time. Unfortunately I've got commitments around this area at the moment.

Im sooo fed up on job searching and uni work in general at the moment though, quite looking forward to leaving.
Phil321

9th Jan 05 at 18:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Uni is the best experience of your life. I miss it like crazy and would give anything to start it all over again.

Which Uni are you at?
corsa5dr

9th Jan 05 at 18:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

UWE, Bristol. Doing Business Studies.

I love uni and have had a wicked time but I've had so much coursework etc to do recently and over the next few months its just getting stressful!
Phil321

9th Jan 05 at 18:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Final year can be a bit like that but its worth it in the end, if only for the end of year/graduation parties. Don't think I was sober for several weeks after my finals

Anyone any suggestions on the application form?
Mikorsa16v

9th Jan 05 at 18:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

one helpful bit of advice is know your company inside out, the history and show them you know this
Phil321

9th Jan 05 at 18:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea, thats definately something I have worked on. I have read everything I can and tried to build this into my answers so far.

I was hoping to do the same for the extra cirricular section so just need a few inspirational ideas that I can expand on!
corsa5dr

9th Jan 05 at 18:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What about saying that you helped organise the graduation ball etc. At UWE its a small student team that arranges the ball, that would show that you have good co-ordination and organisational skills and managed to undertake a project whilst in the most demanding time of your course.

Phil321

9th Jan 05 at 18:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes! Thats the sort of thing I'm after matey! I never even thought about the orgnaisation of a social event.

Nice one, much appreciated

Any more for any more???
corsa5dr

9th Jan 05 at 19:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Glad to help
Je11ybubb1es

9th Jan 05 at 20:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh btw dont say you're in a group/do an activity that you know nothing about. they will question you about it and you can guarantee if you've said you enjoy white water rafting you will end up being interviewed by someone who competed in it at the olympics, then you look stupid and they know you've lied
Phil321

9th Jan 05 at 20:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea, that did worry me. I just intend to embellish my real activities rather than fabricate stuff!

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Job Application Help 22 database queries in 0.0132880 seconds