corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Interesting point to note (footy)...

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Interesting point to note (footy)...
Robbo

User status: Offline
15th Jan 05 at 22:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

NOT an excuse at all and I have only just seen the result but this year is looking so similar to 2003 for Arsenal... 2 years ago constantly they were playing catch up to Man U... almost every wkend they seemed to be playing after Man U... was the same with Celtic that season... both lost their titles narrowly(ish)... same thing i shappening again... lately they r playing a lot of games after Chelsea... not an excuse for their poor perfoemances but the pressure surely cant help

Oh well... congratulations chelski on buying the premiership title dont think that theyll get too many plaudits IMO despite the fact that they r playing very well
Marc

15th Jan 05 at 22:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Jodi_the_g

15th Jan 05 at 22:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes but any team that has ever won the premiership has brought it.
Robbo

15th Jan 05 at 23:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not true... Arsenal never have 2nd time yeah they spent a bit but not much
Jodi_the_g

15th Jan 05 at 23:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah but its not what they spend its the wage bills as well, that everyone forgets, lesser teams can maybe afford one star but thats it.
Dave

15th Jan 05 at 23:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robbo
Not true... Arsenal never have 2nd time yeah they spent a bit but not much

Why is Campbell at Arsenal and not Tottenham? Because they could afford his wages.

While Arsenal might not have the huge transfer fees of Chelsea they do pay some of the highest wages (which admittedly are starting to come down), especially when compared to clubs outside the big 3 (4if you wanna count Liverpool)

Just face it, unless football brings in a Rugby League style salary cap the title will always be bought. Nobody outside the main three have any chance of winning the title in the next ten years unless they get a rich benefactor.
Robbo

15th Jan 05 at 23:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bullshit... Arsenal pay awful wages (bar Campbell) in comparison to the likes of Man U and even Liverpool... Newcastle has a bigger wage bill than Arsenal
Jodi_the_g

15th Jan 05 at 23:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

last session :: Manchester United spent the most on wages in 2002 (£69.9m) followed by Arsenal (£61.4m), Liverpool (£56.1m), Chelsea (£53.6m) and Leeds (£53.6m).
Dave

15th Jan 05 at 23:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

2003 was pretty similar except I can't find Chelsea's total wage bill.

Either way Man Utd and Arsenal were the two top spenders. Since Blackburn buying the title who has won the premiership?

Still think it's bullshit?
Pop

16th Jan 05 at 01:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

does it matter what the wage bill is? at the end of the day the mighty bolton wanderers just beat arsenal 1-0
Jodi_the_g

16th Jan 05 at 01:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Pop
does it matter what the wage bill is? at the end of the day the mighty bolton wanderers just beat arsenal 1-0

Yes but what we are saying is that all the top teams in fact buy the league as there wage bill is massive therefore they can have many top stars on the bench even unlike teams like bolton which have small squads with a couple fo stars, that once injury sets in, stuggle.
Skipz

16th Jan 05 at 01:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jodi_the_g
Yes but any team that has ever won the premiership has brought it.

any team that wins any championsship bought it...

no matter wether it's football or motorracing or basket ball every team buys wins...

Motor racing ferrari Spend millions more than anyone else to build the best race car... Stone Brothers racing, spent thousands maybe even millions making sure the reliabilty of there Ford would secure marcus Ambrose his second title! Citroen spent millions for their car to win the WRC Title..

Foot ball

English League - Man UTD Aresnal and Chelsea have spent mega money on players in the last 10 years

Scottish league - Both Rangers and Celtic have spent millions to Strengthen their squad!

Need i go on?? Nothing is free in this world you spend to recieve the goods..

Do you expect to by a Stock Corsa and win maxpower car of the year?? no you dont!
Dave

16th Jan 05 at 01:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Unless you have a workable salary cap.

In the late 80's early 90's Wigan won practicaly everything in Rugby League, they did this by buying up the best talent, this won them trophies which bought big gates and more money and as such the money to buy more big name players.

Since the Super League started however, all the clubs have a maximum they can spend on players wages, as such Wigan, Leeds, Bradford and St Helens have all won the title in recent years. They did this by assembling a good squad of players, developing a good youth system and promoting the team in the community to increase gates.

Obviously there is still a gap between the top 5 and the rest, as there is with all league structures, but this is becoming closer all the time.

As such now in my opinion any 1 of 5 clubs could realisticaly win Super League this year, out of a league of 12. Contrast this with the Premiership which has 3 possibly winners out of 22 and you have to wonder why the rest are even bothering.

In recent times which clubs have risen to become realistic title challenges and which once proud clubs (Liverpool are a prime example) have fallen by the wayside and are now fighting for scraps of European places.

Until football curb the heavy spending ways smaller clubs will continue to plunge further and further into debt in a desperate attempt to keep up until something gives, a la Leeds, another championship winner of not too long ago now trying to avoid relegation from the second tier.
p

16th Jan 05 at 12:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

............and how much is henry worth ?
Nath

16th Jan 05 at 13:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I get pleasure from seeing Arsenal fail. Is that weird? Or am I normal?

Good day all round. Luton Town back in their rightful position (not that anyone cares as we aren't Prem )
vibrio
Banned

16th Jan 05 at 13:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robbo
NOT an excuse at all and I have only just seen the result but this year is looking so similar to 2003 for Arsenal... 2 years ago constantly they were playing catch up to Man U... almost every wkend they seemed to be playing after Man U... was the same with Celtic that season... both lost their titles narrowly(ish)... same thing i shappening again... lately they r playing a lot of games after Chelsea... not an excuse for their poor perfoemances but the pressure surely cant help

Oh well... congratulations chelski on buying the premiership title dont think that theyll get too many plaudits IMO despite the fact that they r playing very well

but thats what football is nowadays. you have to buy players
Nath

16th Jan 05 at 13:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

2004/5 is the era of Chelski. Arsenal and Man Utd had their time.
Jodi_the_g

16th Jan 05 at 13:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I hate
Man Utd more as 95% of the fans know nothing about the beatful game.

Chealsa - Which will last forever as i hate Ken Bates, and Glenn Hoddle (i wonder what he did a past life to be sure a cock) these have tanted Chealsa for me.

Liverpool - as they fans always seem to think becuase they where agreat club in the 80's they have a god given right to say they are a title conteding team.
Nath

16th Jan 05 at 13:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Liverpool - as they fans always seem to think becuase they where agreat club in the 80's they have a god given right to say they are a title conteding team.

Same can be said for Nottingham Forest fans.
vibrio
Banned

16th Jan 05 at 14:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nath
quote:

Same can be said for Nottingham Forest fans.

aberdeen too
Jodi_the_g

16th Jan 05 at 14:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

forgot how much i hate aderdeen fans as well.
vibrio
Banned

16th Jan 05 at 14:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
forgot how much i hate aderdeen fans as well.

poor Mav
bradfincham

16th Jan 05 at 14:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

in comparison to years ago youth hot shots are not coming through or bein noticed as the huge wages and transfer funds just buy the best european players.

Rooney is possibly the best english youth in the lst few years.

I would say that arsenal will finish 2nd this year, we did it all last year and we bit of more than we could chew this year!

but the new stadium opens next season so that will be somehting to look forward to!!!
Nath

16th Jan 05 at 14:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by bradfincham
in comparison to years ago youth hot shots are not coming through or bein noticed as the huge wages and transfer funds just buy the best european players.

Rooney is possibly the best english youth in the lst few years.

I would say that arsenal will finish 2nd this year, we did it all last year and we bit of more than we could chew this year!

but the new stadium opens next season so that will be somehting to look forward to!!!

Opens for 2006/2007 season IIRC. My cousin is a gooner season ticket holder, i'm sure thats what he told me.

Shaun Wright Phillips is an amazing talent. Stuart Downing is going to be amazing. Then there is Rooney of course. Then Robert Green in goal. Few lower league players that are going to be stars of the future.
dave17

16th Jan 05 at 16:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i find it amazing how chelsea were jus another 'above average' football team, then an billionaire takes interest, ploughs shitloadsa money into the club, and now their running away with the title atleast man utd *washin mouth with soap* arsenal liverpool all earn their money for transfers via cup winning/ champions league qualifying/sponsors to buy/pay their players. chelsea have jus been handed all this on a plate, and did fuk all to deserve it. thats wot pisses me off, so yes, the title has been bought

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Interesting point to note (footy)... 22 database queries in 0.0156341 seconds