corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » what turbo can replace the standard LET item?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author what turbo can replace the standard LET item?
FizzyRascel

User status: Offline
4th Feb 05 at 11:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bought the LET engine i saw last week, its totally standard and i want to know what are the best ways to gain more power.

can the turbo be replaced with another? what other bits should be done?
SetH

4th Feb 05 at 11:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

forged pistons would be a good start.
Ditch

4th Feb 05 at 11:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

smart engine, how much you pay?
get much history with it? Seen it run etc.?

The turbo can be replaced, but as I understand it the standard item will run more boost anyway, and with correct mods it will be reliable too.
timrud_

4th Feb 05 at 11:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can replace it with any turbo you want.

Just change the manifold and exhaust housing to match, then get it mapped in. So you will be looking at some more management then too. And probably some more injectors.

If I was going for a turbo it would be a GT28.
Nismo

4th Feb 05 at 11:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

get a TO4 you will fly then
FizzyRascel

4th Feb 05 at 11:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the engine is from a N-reg Calibra with rear end damage and only has 29,500 miles on it, got a bargin as i have a friend that works in scrappy in essex

got the whole car for £500, so a bargin, need to move complete car from scrappy though

where can i look at these turbo's, who supplys em?
not gonna bother doing any exterior work anymore, just got to choose some rims.

attempting to remove engines from both cars over weekend and check the corsa shell for any bad areas, should it be stitch welded
Adam_B

4th Feb 05 at 11:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£500

FizzyRascel

4th Feb 05 at 11:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but i need to move the whole thing as part of the deal, he wants it gone over the weekend.

AK

4th Feb 05 at 11:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

T51kai

[Edited on 04-02-2005 by Adam Kindness]
bradfincham

still a good deal,
just stick some arp rod bolts.
FMIC and eds/wallace performance chip,
1,2,3,4 your choice but id go for 1 or 2 to start with as can keep same engine internals and turbo.

v tuning is the place to go for this.
also have a look for a hybrid kkk turbo on ebay as will help if you want phase 3,3.5
AK

and you'll have zero lag my chuff!!!
Stu

4th Feb 05 at 12:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get it breathing correctly first.
1) Full exhaust (turbo back)
2) Larger intercooler
3) Possibly induction kit if you can stop heatsoak.

The above should release another 1-2psi boost. That should net you at least 20bhp and are a good ground for further mods.

Dont just increase boost straight off, not sure what standard boost is on one of them but the standard tubby should be good for another 5 psi! Bear in mind that if the car is set up correctly 1 PSI can create 10-11 bhp.
Mattb

4th Feb 05 at 13:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Top purchase

agree with all the comments made so far..

a GOOD, and i stress good, standard kkk16 turbo can supply enough boost to take the lump to 350bhp (with other mods obviously).
other options are the various hybrids out there for example regals 'race spec' which i think is basically a kkk26. or you can replace it with anything you want, but youd need a new manifold and custom map.

a fron mounted intercooler is a must on a corsa conversion but dont bother with teh regal/eds item, its not worth the money, get a universal forge one.

dont be so hasty to scrap the standard turbo
Teddy

4th Feb 05 at 13:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If your on the look out for a "better" turbo you have a couple of Choices.

The main difference between the Vauxhall Turbo engines and say the Cosworth is this....

The Cosworth's Turbo sits on the SIDE of the manifold so a bigger turbo is used.

The Vauxhall C20LET Turbo is housed inside the manifold - the disadvantage (if it is) is the fact the Turbo is alot smaller.......BUT because its housed in the manifold the exhuast gases drive it very quickly as they are closer. Hence less lag - the stock turbo runs out of puff at around 5.500 rpm but the major advantage is that you come on boost (known as spooling) very very quickly and at low revs.

If you have been in a BIG power Cossie you will notice nothing happens below 3k then bang all hell brakes loose.

With the Vauxhall it spools up really low down - this is particulary good for driveability.

anyhow your options to changing the turbo are as follows.

The major tuners such as Wallace and V-Tuning (my favourites lol) offer "hybrids" of these turbo's Bigger thurst bearings, bigger oil seals means you can run more boost for harder and longer BUT it comes at a price.

The KKK26 Turbo is nearly £1700 but is simply awesome, the best middle of the road is the S144 which is reconmended for the phase 3+ kits.

The other alternative is to convert the manifold to the Cosworth operation. Courtenay sell a direct replacement manifold which means you can bolt on any garrett you like........ But you will need management and so on - and could prove as expensive.

A Corsa Turbo is very quick in standard Trim. The engines are so so tuneable but you will seriously have to consider how to get the power down. Whats the point in spending lots of money running silly boost to only have it spin up in every gear?
Might look good but your not making the most of it.

I hope this little essay helps anyhow!

Teddy

4th Feb 05 at 13:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Stu
Dont just increase boost straight off, not sure what standard boost is on one of them but the standard tubby should be good for another 5 psi! Bear in mind that if the car is set up correctly 1 PSI can create 10-11 bhp.

You cant just increase the pressure anyway - the Management and the amal value will shut it off and bring up an engine management fault as....

"Boost out of range"

Its the engines fail safe.
Teddy

4th Feb 05 at 13:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mattb

a GOOD, and i stress good, standard kkk16 turbo can supply enough boost to take the lump to 350bhp (with other mods obviously).
other options are the various hybrids out there for example regals 'race spec' which i think is basically a kkk26. or you can replace it with anything you want, but youd need a new manifold and custom map.

350bhp on a KKK16 - not likely. It might just about handle 300bhp but it will never spin up as quick to make the most of the power - the turbo wont take that for long.
timrud_

4th Feb 05 at 14:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Teddy, its an urban myth they spin up in any gear with some decent power!

Nice dry day, bit of good driving and traction is not a real issue.....

If your building a car properly for mega silly power, you should not cut corners, so a new manifold/management should be part of the plan!
Teddy

4th Feb 05 at 14:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by timrud_
Teddy, its an urban myth they spin up in any gear with some decent power!

Your experience may have been different to mine - but a phase one Corsa Turbo i drove was horrific. Span in the first 3 gears without even trying.

If your trying to put down over 250bhp though the front wheels im sorry its not an urban myth - its the laws of mother earth.

With a decent tranmission set up you can approch the problem but it will still be a git running "BIG" power.
AK

4th Feb 05 at 14:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

are there after market diff's (plate or ATB) avail for F28's?

Or just get a fuckoff quaife box made up, straight cut/sequential (6k or so later )

quite fancy building a c20let stripped out bucket
bradfincham

4th Feb 05 at 15:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you will without a doubt need a LSD, but a good driver with lots of experience can get the power down.

Id say stick with phase 2, forge intercooler, and some arp rods and different injectors.
This is the way i will be going when i get the LET sorted.
V tuning as mentioned will be able to supply fit and help anythign you need, henrik and dave's knowledge is 2nd to none
3CorsaMeal

4th Feb 05 at 15:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What scrap yard is this you speak of?

Teddy

4th Feb 05 at 15:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was running the VMAX phase 2 job and even with that i was thankful for 4wd because running 18psi you could physically feel the car stuggling to put it down but it did grip.
CorsAsh

4th Feb 05 at 16:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

One like that should be big enough
AK

4th Feb 05 at 16:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this was a decent topic

I wish i was an admin and could edit this thread
Paul_J

4th Feb 05 at 16:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If I was an admin kushti would be banned. As I don't know what he's ever actually brought to this site of any value.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » what turbo can replace the standard LET item? 22 database queries in 0.0103989 seconds