corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » legal bods in here please(update)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author legal bods in here please(update)
gtitim

User status: Offline
13th Feb 05 at 15:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

in need of legal advice: bought a new car last week. within 4 days alarm has packed up. phoned garage who say not under warranty. main dealer wants £115 to fix it. do i have any rights under trading standards to get this fixed or do i have to cough up??

got this funny feelin the garage will be a right pain in the ar$e to deal with lol

thanks in advance
tim

[Edited on 15-02-2005 by gtitim]
Ian
Site Administrator

13th Feb 05 at 15:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Vauxhall dealer or an indepedent?

Stuff has to be fit for a purpose and they're not legally obliged to warrant anything other than suitability for a purpose for a reasonable time.

There is also the issue of whether the fault was apparent when you took delivery, as a trader they must ensure themselves that things work, its not up to you to check.

What age is the car?
gtitim

13th Feb 05 at 15:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

was from an independant mate. is a nissan almera gti 1998. the missus drives the corsa in our house. want a let corsa but too skint lol. was advertised with factory fitted alarm/ immobliser and both were working when it was sold.
gtitim

13th Feb 05 at 16:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

anyone ever had this sort of situation before??
James_DT

13th Feb 05 at 16:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's failed since you've taken delivery of the car. Did they give you a warranty or not?
gtitim

13th Feb 05 at 16:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the warranty is not by the garage themselves, but by some company called qudos. it seems to exclude everything literally bar engine seizure, inc the alarm.

however, for the alarm to fail after 4 DAYS is not on in my eyes my problem, i feel that the garage should meet the bill not me!!
Ian
Site Administrator

13th Feb 05 at 17:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is not a warrenty problem, this is a suitability for purpose problem.

Regardless of what the warrenty excludes, the car should still be fit for the purpose for which it was sold.
James_DT

13th Feb 05 at 17:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We had the immobiliser fail on our Laguna within a short while of buying it. It was sorted for free, and was either covered by the garage (Renault main dealer) or Qudos (It came with the Qudos warranty).
williams1.5

13th Feb 05 at 17:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

interesting m8,you would have had more to fall back on if it was a dealer and not private. however thats irrelevant,they are breaking your statutory rights.as a consumer you have a right to have it fixed as it obviously isnt of a reasonable persons expected standard and so they should fix the problem free of charge.
If they still refuse to co-operate,go see your local citizens advice and ask to be put in contact with someone regarding the sales of goods act and how your rights are being breached.
Thats why the act was passed, to protect consumers such as yourself
Hope ive helped

williams1.5 (HND LAW)
gtitim

13th Feb 05 at 17:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks for all your help guys. nice to find a forum where ppl are willing to offer their help and views without judging others etc. will be going to see the garage owner not the sales guy tomorrow and see what he says.

i have e-mailed my local trading standards and so hopefully they will back me up, but nice to know others think im in the right. will let you know what happens

tim
J100RSA

13th Feb 05 at 18:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you have a 28day warrenty if car is bought from any trader
gtitim

15th Feb 05 at 18:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just to let you know: the garage wont pay up. says not his problem as car still drives. been in touch with trading standards who say im in the right. have got to put complaint in writing to the garage so will be doing this tonite. also been in touch with the credit card company i paid with, who are going to investigate for me and will involve trading standards. however, still stuck with no alarm or immobiliser until all sorted out.

do i wait until its sorted or cough up, get it fixed and then try and reclaim the cash from the garage or from credit card??

me thinks its going to take forever to be sorted
Hagger

15th Feb 05 at 19:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

say to the garage that you'll take them to a tribruneral (sp?) if they dont pay , im sure all things u buy in the uk have a 28 days warranty? specially when its things that cost a bit of money like cars

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » legal bods in here please(update) 22 database queries in 0.0112741 seconds