corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Corsa vs. nova gearbox ratio problems...help

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Corsa vs. nova gearbox ratio problems...help
Poot

User status: Offline
   2nd Mar 05 at 18:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hi pple,

right, I went out in my corsa last night and one of me mates has a 1.2 nova. His car would do 30mph easily in 1st gear, and will do 70 in 4th (5 speed box) gear not really screaming. I.E veeery long gears

Now the problem; My corsa (1.2 8v merit) seems a lot lower geared, can only just manage 83 mph (and the engine is screaming fairish in 5th gear.

What gives? My mate claims his nova has been fitted with a gearbox out of a 1.4 nova/corsa??

Are the ratio's really that much different? I want one of these boxes in my car as 83mph is nothing to be bragging about
Poot

2nd Mar 05 at 18:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Something that might be of significance...my boss's son had a look and i was told there was a fair bit of slack in the throttle cable...?
Ian
Site Administrator

2nd Mar 05 at 18:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Longer ratios means a better top end but slower acceleration. Leave it as is.

You also can't up your top speed with gearing alone. Wind resistance beats engine power at the same speed however its geared.
Poot

2nd Mar 05 at 18:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers Ian..have just read the 4 speed g/box thread..so am guessing i have a 5 speed f10 g/box.

Funny though, I would have thought going downhill raggin it I would have nailed 90mph

New Poll