corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Does anyone think I'm crazy...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Does anyone think I'm crazy...
Dave1682

User status: Offline
25th Apr 05 at 18:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

...for considering paying £250 a month for a brand new Corsa 1.8 SRi with full leather interior and electronic climate control???

Bearing in mind the car will do 0-60 in 8secs and reach a top speed of about 125mph. And that it also comes with cruise control and 16inch alloys.

And bear in mind that I'm part ex'ing my current car in the deal (T-reg Corsa 1.2 Sxi, 60k miles, with £1,800 outstanding finance on it)

What do you think? Overall, the new corsa comes to £13ish and i'll be paying back around 15K???
mazdaspeed

25th Apr 05 at 18:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dont like debt so dont consider finance an option. I pay everything up front cash. Saves money in the long run - interest, deposit etc all come out of your pocket end of the day.
RCoughtrie

25th Apr 05 at 18:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mazdaspeed
I dont like debt so dont consider finance an option. I pay everything up front cash. Saves money in the long run - interest, deposit etc all come out of your pocket end of the day.

well said
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

25th Apr 05 at 18:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hes corsa crazy
Dave1682

25th Apr 05 at 18:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I unfortunately can't pay-up the full amount upfront just yet although I would like to.

It's just 13k is a lot of money for a corsa, even if it is the top-of-the range model, let alone 15k. But i so want a new car, and the performance is quite good for a gr9 insurance vehicle.
Luke1.4

25th Apr 05 at 18:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not everyone can afford 13k up front. finance is not such a bad thing on a car if you can afford the payments it and are in control of it. Personally though i would not pay 13k for a corsa
CorsAsh

25th Apr 05 at 19:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
hes corsa crazy

Number one for Corsa Discussion?
Dave1682

25th Apr 05 at 19:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For the people with loans or have got finance - what car do you drive and how much do you pay a month?
Rob H

25th Apr 05 at 19:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its your choice at the end of the day. If you dont mind spending £250 for 5 years (im guessing), then go ahead. If you still owe £1800 on it then you'll be getting nothing for it when part exchanging it!.

Personally unless the car you have at the moment is buggered, then I wouldnt do it. I'd pay my outstanding debt off on that, then proberbly look for a good deal on a second hand SRi thats 2/3 years old with about 20k. That'll set you back about 8k today, so if you can pay the debt off in 12 months, your looking at 7.5k for a similar car in 12 months as the new model will be out.

At the end of the day though, i dont think i'd spend anything over 8k for a corsa, be it new and top of the range or not, they simply dont hold their value in any shape or form! .
Dave1682

25th Apr 05 at 19:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I still owe £1800 on my current car, but Vauxhall will take the car off my hands and clear the finance on it, and give me the SRi for £250 per month.

Rob H as you own a SRi, what are your views on it?
Rob H

25th Apr 05 at 19:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats the thing tho, you end up with a car thats worthless, as they wont give you anything towards your new car. Seems stupid to me when you could pay your loan off for the current car in 7 months if you started paying that back at £250 a month, then save whatever else you can in the meantime towards the SRi.

I'm pleased with my car . Had to have a couple of bits done under warranty, but its just been the usuall steering rack and gear linkage trouble. Apparently the new stuff they put on is a modified version, so it should be fine on a brand new one.

It goes well enough for a 1.4, handles pretty well for standard, looks nice for a pretty much standard car, and by spending a few quid you can make it look ace .

The thing that pisses me off is its very noisey on motorways, as the 5th gear is way too short. 4krpm @ 80mph isnt funn when driving 200+ miles . Keep going to change to 6th, but it hasnt got one . Sadly the 1.8 is the same tho, so you'll have the same problem. May not bother you, but just thought i'd mention it .

Only other thing i'd say is that 15k can buy you alot of car, maybe not brand new, but 1 or 2 years old, and 15k buys you alot for your money.... .

[Edited on 25-04-2005 by Rob H]
1600power

25th Apr 05 at 19:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

buy a second hand one with low miles and save yourself an easy £5k?

You can still get finance on something like that aswell as that sort of saving can be had at a second hand car dealership!
Rob H

25th Apr 05 at 19:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 1600power

You can still get finance on something like that aswell as that sort of saving can be had at a second hand car dealership!

Exactly. Unless you get a very good deal, then it seems silly buying a brand new car, when you can save loads on one thats an ex-demo, or juat been used for 12months old. Vauxhalls are some of the worst cars for depreciation too. Take my car for instance. Some poor bastard lost £3.5k in 12 months and 9k miles. Mine still had the newcar smell though, and was unmarked .
AK

25th Apr 05 at 19:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

taking a loan of 15k for a car that wont hold its value worth a shit is not a good idea
Ian
Site Administrator

25th Apr 05 at 20:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How the hell do you have outstanding finance of £1800 on a T reg car?

I'd be getting rid of that before financing more. The car depreciates fast enough as it is, without an extra £2k worth of interest!!
AK

25th Apr 05 at 20:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

t is 99? so 5/6 years.... SXi's were about 8 tops?

say 6k over 6 years = 83quid a month

man..... thats one hell of a loan

Colin

25th Apr 05 at 21:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Stuff that ive said it so many times before....why get in debt over a car thats only going to lose you money!! Ive paid cash for every car I own and only thing i have on tick is my mortgage....my house however will go up in value unlike anything else!!

If you want a new car then work for it and never spend outwith your means! On other hand if £250 a month is pocket change to you then go for it....i very much doubt this tho
JJ

25th Apr 05 at 21:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob H
quote:
Originally posted by 1600power

Exactly. Unless you get a very good deal, then it seems silly buying a brand new car, when you can save loads on one thats an ex-demo, or juat been used for 12months old. Vauxhalls are some of the worst cars for depreciation too. Take my car for instance. Some poor bastard lost £3.5k in 12 months and 9k miles. Mine still had the newcar smell though, and was unmarked .

Also try gettin a quote from www.lombarddirect.com too, they have a very good internet rate 6.4% apr i think, prob better than gmac (fcukhall finance) typical 9.9%

or

Defered personal loans from your bank These work same way as a lease purchase sheme that vauxhall do.
dave17

25th Apr 05 at 21:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

settle your finance on the sxi. keep it for 2 years, putting away the £250 a month you would have been paying for the SRI, that leaves you with £6k. sell your sxi for whatever its worth, gota be atleast £2k ish. thats £8K youve got, go buy the SRI you were going to in the first place, but with no debt

[Edited on 25-04-2005 by dave17]

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Does anyone think I'm crazy... 22 database queries in 0.0179369 seconds