corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » CALLING OUT ALL PEOPLE WITH COILOVERS!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author CALLING OUT ALL PEOPLE WITH COILOVERS!
mike_southside

User status: Offline
   13th Jul 05 at 19:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi chaps,

i have just had fk coilover fitted on my corsa. it was a bit of a nitemare getting them on, we had to use the orginal top mounts for the corsa suspension to make them fit. i have got 17s, with a 45 offset. i can not have it lowered that 40mm ish because the toyo tyre is rubbing on the coilover ring. i have just spacing the wheel out by 6mm and i still can not get it to sit on its arse with out it rubbing. its pissing me off. have you guys had the same problems?

any feedback wud be great.

cheers
mike
mike_southside

13th Jul 05 at 19:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

plz help boys and girls!
craig8
Premium Member

13th Jul 05 at 20:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

by putting a spacer in you have now made the wheel an ET 39 offset

for the corsa it should be 49 but you would get away with the 45 if you have a 215/40 tyre i would think

E36 328
AdamF
Premium Member

13th Jul 05 at 21:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

making the wheel a 49mm offset would make it worse than it already is as would wider tyres
Ant

13th Jul 05 at 21:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My advice to you would be to call BAT Motersport on 0151 709 8585 and order small 'helper springs'

[Edited on 13-07-2005 by aritchie]
mike_southside

13th Jul 05 at 21:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cool, what would they do?
Ant

13th Jul 05 at 21:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as you can see from the pic above it gives you about 40mm more ride height adjustment before the tyre makes contact with the spring platform
Siberia

13th Jul 05 at 22:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

artchie i'd say when the damper has the wieght of the car on it your suspension is sitting on the blue ring in between your helper spring and yourmain coil spring as that helper spring is way to light and is not serving any purpose...

mike_southside: first thing i'd look at is have you had the camber aligned with a 4 wheel laser machine? if the answer is no there i suggest you get this done first...

haven said that i cant see it making much of a difference.. when i had my 16@ wheels on the car i nearly had it a stock hieght... maybe -20-30mm cos the tyre was hitting the spring platform... the guy in fk said i must use spacers... this is stupid though i'd end up having wheel sticking out miles..

i used fk own brand light helper spring... this alowed me to lower the car another 10mm but still this is crap...

IMO i really dont think the highsports should be sold for the corsa b as they just dont fit end of.....

i have 14@ wheels on my car now and i can deck the car due to them not being wide.... but i'm still getting a set of koni yellows as soon as i get some funds as i'm p1ssed off trying to get a config tht works with the fks...

all of that is my opinion doesnt mean you have to take it as gospel..

TOMAS

14th Jul 05 at 07:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just remove the helper springs all together, dont really need them (only for MOT) and thats only if the springs unseat. I've ran without helpers on my coilovers for nearly 2 years now without a prob but I dont have FK coilovers...
GED2.0CORSA

14th Jul 05 at 09:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have 16" speedlines on my corsa with fk highsports fitted and runnin fine it.

only thing is the camber but it as has to be set up properly as the hub has a oval hole at the top to allow for caber adjustment as far as i can understand it.

hope that makes sense.
Siberia

14th Jul 05 at 09:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by TOMAS
Just remove the helper springs all together, dont really need them (only for MOT) and thats only if the springs unseat. I've ran without helpers on my coilovers for nearly 2 years now without a prob but I dont have FK coilovers...

i ran without them to... you'd really need some higher poundage main spring as the helper puts an degree of stiffness on the setup...

also the guy i spoke to at fk said under no circumstances should i run without a helper spring installed... i ignorred his advise

ged how wide are you speedlines...?
mike_southside

14th Jul 05 at 11:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the main problem the the toyo tyre, be they lip out so much, i mean they still rub with 6mm spacers. yer it could have some thing to do with the camber but i cant see how that will make two much of a difference!! i havent got help springs, i can see how that could work, because it will bring down the coilover gold ring, thats what is rubbing.

cheers for ur help guys
Fear

14th Jul 05 at 11:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i use the same yellow helper springs as pictured above!

i ran without helper springs but the amount you had to winde it up to take up enough slack for it to be safe meant there was no difference in the height!

I dont see why you are having so many problems alot of people on here are running 17s with highsports with no problems!
mike_southside

14th Jul 05 at 11:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yer i mite have to try the help springs.

yer this is what i cant understand, everything is rite, just dont see why it is rubbing. i heared good things about fk thats why i bougth them, my mate, adamf, with the white car parked next to ur a max is fitting dem and he cant work it out either!
Ant

14th Jul 05 at 14:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

all the helper springs do is stop the spring unseating itself when the wheels are off the ground, -- The yellow ones on mine (pic above) do exactly that.

Siberia I had the blue double adapter milled doen so no weight sits on it.

So as Fear says there is no problem with running high sports.

As for amber adjustment yes it is a bit of a pain but only other way of adjusting them i know of is adjustable top mounts so if you that bothered stick them on with the fk's. Mine as never been aligned (just did it myself by eye) and although handling is not 100% (xe onboard!) tyre wear is fine

[Edited on 14-07-2005 by aritchie]
MoNkEy MaGiC

15th Jul 05 at 00:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i fitted this same FK suspension to a Corsa B two weeks ago, with standard vaux 14" ET49 rims, and the top inner of the tyre is quite close to the height adjuster!!!
its a straight and good fit but... i would not really recommend this kit to any one who wants to lower their corsa more than 30-40mm with 17" alloys!!! however it may be possible to get it lower by ET40, maximum size 17x7, to let the tyre clear the adjuster nut/ring but it will still be very close and you may also need to do a little arch work as the trye will stick out a bit more!

the helper spring is fully commpressed anyway when the car is lowered so a smaller helper spring wont make much of a difference, maybe Max 10mm with the camber and tracking adjusted properly!! but after spending this much money on the kit its really a disopointment to have to go out and buy bits to make it fit better!!

spacers will mess up the offset of the alloys which leeds to poor handling!!

i think the only BEST way to get around the problem is to use smaller alloys

but get the tracking/camber done properly first and then see
mike_southside

15th Jul 05 at 19:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its a sham because i heard alot of good things about fk coilovers, i could get it down to about 60 with 6mm spacers. but i bet it will rub like a bitch. i got the kid of ebay, it was only 225 notes so can complain really. nah i deffo dont what smaller alloys, my 17s where another ebay bargian. cheers chaps

New Poll