corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » List of problems with my Corsa… ideas welcome for solutions!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author List of problems with my Corsa… ideas welcome for solutions!
Stokie Dave

User status: Offline
   17th Oct 05 at 21:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right, picked my Corsa Flair (1993 L reg, 1.4 SPi) up this weekend and have now made a list of things that need sorting. If anyone has any ideas of what the problem might be, or solution if it’s a common problem, please post below – it’ll be gratefully received and hopefully help me get the beast running sweet then I may consider doing more performance mods on it! (BTW I’m pants @ mechanicing stuff hence probs be useless at sorting most of these things lol)

First of all, current mods incase it makes a difference: Lowered 35mm, Scorpion cat-back stainless steel exhaust, K&N air filter, 15” Astra Sport MK3 wheels with 195/55 tyres (bit big I know!).

Problems with Brakes:

1) Pedal keeps going low, have to pump pedal to stiffen it up, performance of brakes is adequate but not that good.
2) Handbrake light stays on, on the dashboard… and I think handbrake needs adjusting anyway.

Wheels:

Front offside wheel bearing, or something, is too tight and wheel doesn’t spin right… got very hot on 30 mile trip and squealing lightly and very high pitch but hardly audible… (started on this one, EVERYTHING including wheel nuts overtightened, stripping down inc brake discs to re-grease and see if it helps plus adjust bearing)

Interior:

Temperature thermometer on dash doesn’t work?

Engine:

Engine management light comes on and off… maybe linked to filter and zorst? Getting a fault code reader on it next weekend

Other:

1) Something rattling on front left side of car… not sure what it is yet, changes with resonation of the exhaust… gonna check asap. Anything usual work its way loose here?
2) Accelerator pedal very stiff… maybe needs cable greasing? Anything else it could be?

Any ideas or solutions to these gratefully recieved which may help me get them sorted quick and easy instead of spending ages scratching my head lol...

Cheers

[Edited on 17-10-2005 by Stokie Dave]
broster
Premium Member

17th Oct 05 at 21:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

brakes:
1)bleed brakes
2)check fluid level and pads, also check the switch on the handbrake lever

wheels, strip down, could be brakes binding too...

interior:
new sensor on the thermostat, is the one with just one wire going to it, may just need cleaning up a bit

engine:
read the fault codes off yourself http://www.topbuzz.co.uk (or .com)

other
1-not sure just check everything is tight
2-spray wd40 down the cable inner and check the throttle body end, see how stiff it is there

hope this is of some use to you.
Stokie Dave

17th Oct 05 at 22:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers dude gonna keep myself busy this weekend sorting this lot lol...

Appreciated I am wondering if brakes are leaking too.. but I am gonna start by chucking some 256mm discs and calipers on to be honest lol
broster
Premium Member

17th Oct 05 at 22:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you have the space behind your wheels, which you should do, try looking for a set of v6 brakes and getting braided lines....

....then again will it stay as a 1.2? if so no need
Stokie Dave

17th Oct 05 at 22:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's a 1.4... Although 1.6 8v might go in soon as a cheap and cheerful replacment. I dont wanna spend too much on this one, unless I get addicted

V6 brakes would be cool lol but I think 2.0 16v ones off Astra/Cav will suffice for the diddy engine
broster
Premium Member

17th Oct 05 at 22:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1.6 on twin 40's would be a nice choice lol
kitty_kitty

17th Oct 05 at 22:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dont give him any ideas just yet mark lol

bleeding the brakes should be fine if we do it this weekend
Ian
Site Administrator

17th Oct 05 at 23:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Temp display, you get --.- ?

Check thermometer behind lower bars in the front bumper.
VegasPhil
Premium Member

18th Oct 05 at 01:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Stokie Dave
Engine:

Engine management light comes on and off… maybe linked to filter and zorst? Getting a fault code reader on it next weekend

[Edited on 17-10-2005 by Stokie Dave]

Don't waste your money my mate. Do a paper clip test using the link Broster gave you

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
Stokie Dave

18th Oct 05 at 08:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye I might try that, but we have a code reader anyway used for a few other Vauxhalls within friends and family

Ian, yea thats what I get on the display. I will try clean it up this weekend see if it helps.

[Edited on 18-10-2005 by Stokie Dave]
broster
Premium Member

18th Oct 05 at 11:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dave, i thought you ment the water temp sensor, sorry, the sensor is behind the bumper as ian said.... get one from a scrappy

New Poll