corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » help me with my wage appraisal form..

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author help me with my wage appraisal form..
Bart

User status: Offline
24th Nov 05 at 08:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im currently still an apprentice with an electrical company, but i also fulfil the role of the I.T manager. currently on 14k a year managing email server, 25 PCs and all hardware/software, tech support within the company internal/external websites (x2).
heres what i have written, if anyone feels they can add to it, please do..

quote:

8 – Are there any issues you wish to bring up at your appraisal?
Yes – Salary is a key issue for me.
I feel my current salary is not the appropriate remuneration for the IT related responsibilities I have and value that I provide for the company. An I.T support manager (who manages and maintains a number of PC’s, network equipment, internal technical support, data management, on/off site backup management etc would be on minimum 25k starting package, this individual alone would not be responsible for other I.T related tasks such as website management and inputs on company literature,
I think I currently fill this role but, this is made more efficient for the company as I also fulfil other roles including; electrical/mechanical drawings, internal/external website design and management, operation & maintenance manuals etc.
I feel my college reports has demonstrated ability and commitment to the company, that commitment will only grow and flourish if I deem my salary reward for my responsibility and commitment is set at an appropriate level.
Over the last year I have completed more and more work outside of office hours, usually favours towards M.B. I am also currently designing a new website out of hours for AICA.
I feel that a salary of 20k is appropriate for my current responsibilities. A salary of anything less than this would not represent my current value to the company. If a lesser salary is all that is offered to me, I would expect the majority of the responsibilities towards the IT to be dropped in order for me to concentrate on electrical drawings.
I have no issues with the work involved in my role, but the salary must be representative of the responsibilities and the cost of alternative IT support either by a dedicated manager or an outside contractor.
I’m unaware of what Eric charges for his IT support but I’m confident it’s 2-3 times my cost to the company.
I have plans to buy a house and get married over the next few years.
I hope to do this in my current job as I enjoy working for this company and I feel I have a lot to offer the company and that over the coming years I will also represent good value to the company. However this will only be possible if I am appropriately rewarded for the responsible role that has developed for me in the company

i was thinking of perhaps printing out sheet from job center of companies looking for a type of I.T support person to compare their wage to mine.

[Edited on 24-11-2005 by Bart]

Ally

24th Nov 05 at 08:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

IMO you shouldnt tell them what you want, tell them you feel you are a valid member of the team and blah blah but dont make demands (you're not exactly demanding more, but could be seen that way)
Bart

24th Nov 05 at 08:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hmm... ive been told that im almost being taken advantage of, and i should atleast be on 25k, so i have gone for 20k
Sam
Premium Member

24th Nov 05 at 08:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bart
i was thinking of perhaps printing out sheet from job center of companies looking for a type of I.T support person to compare their wage to mine.

You could do, but you have to think about whether they are an OK company to work for who will agree to increase your salary, or whether they will say "if other places pay more then go work for them instead".

They might tell you to GTF to be honest, seeing as you are on £14k and are asking for a £6k salary increase...
Ally

24th Nov 05 at 08:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But if you find other jobs similar to yours and the salarys are all around the 25k mark, put them all forward. You never know, you may get more
Ally

24th Nov 05 at 08:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i didnt realise you were on 14k

Bit of a jump Bart, ask for a rise but dont expect too much
Bart

24th Nov 05 at 08:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

14k for everything i do .. surely 20k is the minimum i should be paid.
Absolutly anything I.T related goes through myself, i manage and maintain alot of PCs/Software on a daily basis all in between the job ive been taken on for... trainee electrical designer
Sam
Premium Member

24th Nov 05 at 08:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bart I agree your salary sucks big time, but what I'm trying to say is they more than likely might not be prepared to pay you what you are worth, if you see what I mean...

[Edited on 24-11-2005 by Sam]
Bart

24th Nov 05 at 08:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.sp7.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/Internet/GetDetails.details?jobref=BNS/16789

i fooking do that every day of the week and twice on sundays!

CCA

24th Nov 05 at 08:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It seems highly unlikely that you will get the minimum 6k pay rise that you would like but i wouldnt go demanding that as you could be running the risk of them telling you they will give you a few k pay rise or telling you to stick it
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

24th Nov 05 at 08:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they wont see it as you getting paid your worth, what they will be thinking is "WTF, this guy wants a 40%? (or whatever it is) pay rise?"

I think you should just highlight how much IT shit you are doing which is totally out of your job description/roles, tell them you are basically doing someone elses job along the lines of an IT Admin.

Ask them how much they think you are worth to the company, and let them make an offer regarding your pay. THey might pay you more then expected, they might you less
Bart

24th Nov 05 at 08:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

a couple of months ago one of the mangers was shocked when i told him what i was on, i asked him to guess and he said 20k.

sod them, im gonna go for it
Bart

24th Nov 05 at 08:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
Ask them how much they think you are worth to the company, and let them make an offer regarding your pay. THey might pay you more then expected, they might you less

lmao, i wonder which.

Willay, do you not think my above statement outlines enough of my job role then

willay
Premium Member

24th Nov 05 at 08:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

key points:

Dont demand

Dont make yourself out to be the latest greatest thing to come to IT (I dont think you are anyway).

Remember, if you fuck them off they can get rid of you and bring in some other guy with experience, knowledge, and possbily for less money (well less then 20k)
willay
Premium Member

24th Nov 05 at 08:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bart
quote:

lmao, i wonder which.

Willay, do you not think my above statement outlines enough of my job role then

Dont know about you but I think the form is far too bloated, you should say you would like to bring up an issue with the current roles you are doing for the company. Possibly not mention pay because this is normally a given on appraisals.

Keep it short and sweet, then talk business when you're in the meeting room
willay
Premium Member

24th Nov 05 at 08:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also regarding pay, if you need to take a stab at it then I would say something along the lines of £18k, also have your role changed to IT Administrator or IT Manager. You dont sound like a apprentice for a leccy's
Bart

24th Nov 05 at 09:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

even tho im the only I.T literate person within the company?
quote:

. If a lesser salary is all that is offered to me, I would expect the majority of the responsibilities towards the IT to be dropped in order for me to concentrate on electrical drawings.
it wouldnt be the worst thing in the world if i had nothing to do wit I.T anymore.
Bart

24th Nov 05 at 09:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

chatting to my future father in law, he pays his secetry (a year or two younger than me) 15k just for answering the phone, she is slightly I.T literate, but they have only just networked their 5 PCs together.
willay
Premium Member

24th Nov 05 at 09:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

different compnies mate, I work in a consultancy for serveral trading outfits, in the city of london, I work my arse off, theres only two of us in this company, I setup alot of shit, my boss is the one who knows alot about routers+switches ( though i learn more and more of that) and I earn under 20k.

I turned 20 in March too.
Bart

24th Nov 05 at 09:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im 22, the majority of what ive learnt is self taught (and from CS ). when i first joined the company 3 years ago, i was here 3 months then they sacked the I.T chap here.
He was a project manager and looked after I.T, they sacked him cos of all his fuck ups with jobs (relating to the work not I.T).
All emails/antivirus/backups is all centrally managed by myself. and it does take a % of my day up.
Bart

24th Nov 05 at 09:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my 'appraiser' is my direct boss, the chap who got me a job to begin with, a close friend out of work. so he will probably tell me to fuck off
trouble is he's very quick on the mark.. where as im not
willay
Premium Member

24th Nov 05 at 09:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

then make a decision, either quit IT or quit whatever you do when you arent doing IT.
Ally

24th Nov 05 at 09:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Or perhaps go to another company where they will pay you more.....
Bart

24th Nov 05 at 09:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Remember, if you fuck them off they can get rid of you and bring in some other guy with experience, knowledge, and possbily for less money (well less then 20k)

quite unlikely i'd say.
If this is done they will need to bring in two people, one for the I.T and one for electrical drawings. I would anticipate the two cad designers to be on more than 20k.
CAD design is something the company is struggling to get hold of, its taken them nearly a year to find someone relevant who can just come straight in.

quote:
Originally posted by Ally
Or perhaps go to another company where they will pay you more.....

I dont want to do that. i like the way things are at the moment, having control over the I.T is good, i enjoy the change of senery when a PC goes tits up etc. plus they are a good bunch of people, the only issue i have is the pay.
Bart

24th Nov 05 at 14:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right, ive passed on everything what ive written to a manager (as a friend to proof read it) and hes made a couple of changes, and also advised me to not mention the sum of 20k, but to also imply aiming for a higher figure. so with that in mind:

quote:

8 – Are there any issues you wish to bring up at your appraisal?
Yes – Salary is a key issue for me.
I feel my current salary is not the appropriate remuneration for the IT related responsibilities I have and value that I provide for the company. An I.T support manager (who manages and maintains a number of PC’s, maintenance and management of network equipment, internal technical support, data management, on/off site backup management etc) would be on minimum 25k starting package, this individual alone would not be responsible for any other I.T related tasks such as website management, producing documentation and inputs on company literature,
I think I currently fill this role but, this is made more efficient for the company as I also fulfil other roles including; electrical/mechanical drawings, internal/external website design and management, operation & maintenance manuals, all media and artwork within the company etc.
I have reviewed jobs online which I feel I am eligible to qualify for given my extensive experience and knowledge. Each of these jobs offer a competitive rate of 25k (average), see attached documents.
I feel that a salary of 24k-25k is an appropriate amount to any individual who has responsibilities and tasks similar to those of myself. A salary anything less than this would not fully represent my current value and input in to the company.
Over the last year I have completed more and more work outside of office hours, usually favours towards M.B. I am also currently designing a new website out of hours for AICA.
I have no issues with the work involved in my role, but I am of a high opinion that the salary must be representative of the responsibilities, and the cost of alternative IT support either by a dedicated manager or an outside contractor, e.g. a competitive rate offered.
I’m unaware of what Eric charges for his IT support but I’m confident it’s 2-3 times my cost to the company.
I have plans to buy a house and get married over the next few years.
I hope to do this in my current job as I enjoy working for this company and I feel I have a lot to offer the company and that over the coming years I will also represent good value to the company. However this will only be possible if I am appropriately rewarded for the responsible role that has gradually developed for me in the company.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » help me with my wage appraisal form.. 22 database queries in 0.0203240 seconds