corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Replacing door glass Advice please

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Replacing door glass Advice please
jimi43

User status: Offline
22nd Jan 06 at 22:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have to replace the door glass on my wife's Corsa tomorrow and wonder if there are any tips/methods you guys may think useful

I got the clip winder rag tip....and I believe you should have the winder DOWN to replace glass....anything else?
ed

22nd Jan 06 at 22:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you have a Haynes manual then it tells you exactly how to do it... I don't have mone with me to quote from but as far as I know you remove all the rubbers and slot the glass in while the winder is in the fully down position, then slot the rubbers back in.
jimi43

22nd Jan 06 at 22:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks Ed!

I won't have transport tomorrow and I don't have a manual here so if there are any more tips then they would be gratefully received..

Cheers

Jim
jimi43

23rd Jan 06 at 15:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just spent the last 2 hrs replacing the window glass so I thought I would pass on tips to this board in case any poor soul dafter than me (there aren't that many!) wants to do it without too many F words!

1) Wind the window to the fully down position

2) Remove the circlip from the winder handle - this is not as difficult as made out. I tried the rag trick down the back of the handle to snag the clip and pull it out but that did not work so I just used fine tipped pliers and small screwdriver. The pliers gripped the clip and the screwdriver prised it out.

3) Remove winder handle.

4) Remove door mirror trim inside with large flatbladed screwdriver prising carefully so as not to break studs.

5) Remove outer trim of door handle (the bit with the small tweeter grille on it carefully again using large screwdriver.

6) Remove all the screws from the bottom plastic pocket door trim and prise out and off.

7) Remove all the screws from door card and again remove carefully.

8) Remove speaker screws and push to side.

9) Remove carefully top window door felts and rubbers (one should come off with the card)

10) Carefully peel back moisture barrier - care here and you should be able to stick old one back

11) Remove old metal runner from moving guides (would have been attached to old window).

12) Remove rubber from channel on lock side of door but NOT the hinge side rubber...which runs all the way up the door anyway.

13) Insert new glass carefully supporting by hand through large door hole.

14) Guide first plastic winder guide into channel and push glass firmly towards and into hinge rubber channel. The back guide can now be inserted into channel. Make sure the glass at the lock end is in the channel also (with the rubber still removed).

15) Wind up window mechanism supporting the glass with your hand until you reach the topmost position (window closed)

16) Insert the BOTTOM rubber into the channel inside the door nearest the lock.

17) SLOWLY guide the glass whilst winding window down guiding it into door channel rubber unil the window is fully open.

18) Test the window for ease of operation and grease slides in runners.

19) Replace all trim parts in reverse order to above.

20) One tip when FINALLY putting the winder handle back on it to put the circlip on FIRST and then holding the handle on the shaft...bang home with sharp tap of hand which SHOULD lock the circlip again on the shaft.

Hope this helps other unfortunates who have to do this for 2 bloody hours in the freezing cold in the street!!

Garage estimate for replacing window - £354 plus materials

My cost: £45 for glass and two hours relatively easy job - if you know how!

Cheers for help Ed - gave me the confidence to go ahead!

Jim
ed

23rd Jan 06 at 15:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cool, good to see you figured it out. I remembe reading about it because I need to take all the glass off of my car. Good work

New Poll