corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » First Pics on my new 350D

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author First Pics on my new 350D
James

User status: Offline
3rd Sep 06 at 15:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just had a quick go bearing in mind this is on auto with no settings changed etc, just point and click really.

I know they arent that good and I need a lens with better zoom but give me your opinions.........

http://www.jttweb.co.uk/photos/ockham/

[Edited on 03-09-2006 by James]
James

3rd Sep 06 at 15:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also, a lot of the quality is lost due to them having to be shrunk a lot so I could upload them
John

3rd Sep 06 at 17:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Should have put it in av or tv mode and made sure you had a much faster shutter.
On occasions like this when you don't want to go out of auto pick the sports mode at least.
The camera will have to do much less guessing.
Steve
Premium Member

3rd Sep 06 at 22:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they need some processing in PS, its rare youl get a perfect pics straight off the camera
John

3rd Sep 06 at 22:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Photos should be properly composed and exposed out of camera though.
SetH

4th Sep 06 at 13:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by vibrio

tell him to use a fast shutter speed for capturing sports like football. tell him to set camera to AV and use it wide open. use adjust iso to keep shutter speed high 1/250s at least. use the middle focus point rather than letting the camera choose. lastly tell him to read his instruction booklet

[Edited on 04-09-2006 by SetH]
James

4th Sep 06 at 13:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Melville

4th Sep 06 at 13:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gotta love Vibrio
James

4th Sep 06 at 13:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well I did expect those kinda reactions because I literally picked up the camera and took the pictures.
Mav 3000

11th Sep 06 at 22:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get a tripod.

Also, practise taking pictures of the same thing using different apetures and ISO levels so you know what they do - this will mean you won't miss key photo's in the future.

Ignore the comment on Photoshopping them - if you learn the camera correctly you'll be taking perfect shots that PS won't improve on.

you can't polish a turd - poo in = poo out - so don't think PS can 'magic' something out of an 'average' photo.

Get practising - then practise some more, then but a zoom lense after reading about 10 reviews from different places.

Pixmania has loads of lenses, and googling them will yeirld loads of revews.

Good luck!
John

12th Sep 06 at 00:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You are wrong about the photoshop comment.
Although the picture should be as good as possible out of the camera photoshop can make an ok picture stand out from the crowd.

Dark room film developers have always been doing simple editing and digital photos need the same.

Especially on RAW images the image comes out normally needing sharpening and maybe some saturation adjustment.
Steve
Premium Member

12th Sep 06 at 11:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
You are wrong about the photoshop comment.

yes, fool
Ian
Site Administrator

13th Sep 06 at 17:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why the hell are we talking about Photoshop in this thread, those pics need longer focal length, faster shutter, wider aperture, higher ISO, manual exposure and centre single point focus.

You can't shop your lens longer
Ian
Site Administrator

13th Sep 06 at 17:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also looking at 025 - need less sky and more feet - you need to point at the crotch, but you'll get used to that.

[Edited on 13-09-2006 by Ian]
James

13th Sep 06 at 20:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A couple of them were after I had put the camera down and then spotted some action so took a quick snap without thinking about composition etc......

All tips taken on board chaps, im purchasing a new lens in the next few weeks

[Edited on 13-09-2006 by James]
Steve
Premium Member

14th Sep 06 at 08:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Why the hell are we talking about Photoshop in this thread, those pics need longer focal length, faster shutter, wider aperture, higher ISO, manual exposure and centre single point focus.

You can't shop your lens longer

i agree but any pics can be improved in photoshop, exposure can be fixed, pictured can be sharpened, noise reduced etc etc, although too much can make it look overprocessed, which Vibrio knows all about
Ian
Site Administrator

14th Sep 06 at 21:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There's nothing inherently wrong with the exposure of those pics and therefore no reason to fix exposure in PS. My point about exposure was to do with the amount of time it takes the camera to think about exposing the photograph, and therefore the benefits of manual metering.

Sharpening - not to that degree of going from 60th to 500th. You might tidy up the odd bit of camera shake on a long one but you can't PS out motion blur and expect to see a pic anywhere near the same as if it were taken at the right speed.

The one thing you might want is NR with the high ISO but its a modern body so even that is not a problem. Its not artwork, we're not about to print it so colour balance isn't critical, but the composition needs work on the day, not afterwards back home when the opportunities have been missed.

Should have saved 89 minutes and just taken a few pics in the first minute, you could have shopped the players about a bit and made up the rest of the game

Put the software down and get the shot worth improving.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » First Pics on my new 350D 23 database queries in 0.0129249 seconds