corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » It's not looking good GREG

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author It's not looking good GREG
Nath

User status: Offline
9th Oct 06 at 19:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tilson pings a big, curve ball down Norwich's throat as City try to pick their way through the minefield
Mon 9 Oct 06

Shrimpers boss Steve Tilson threw a large curve ball Norwich's way this weekend as he revealed that Southend chairman Ron Martin had refused the Canaries permission speak to him.

Intriguingly, however, he refused to rule himself wholly out of the running.

"I haven't ruled myself out," he told Radio Norfolk. "I'm just not in a position to put myself in it at the moment."

Squaring that particular circle is just one of the many potential headaches facing both the Canary board and chief executive Neil Doncaster this week as they look to pick their way through the managerial appoinment minefield and emerge, limbs intact, with a successor to Nigel Worthington.

That - particularly with targets that are curently in work and under contract elsewhere - is far easier said than done.

They have, for example, to persuade people like Shrimpers chairman Ron Martin at Roots Hall to change their mind; to let them officially speak to his highly-regarded manager. Martin sticks to his guns and should City pursue their interest and find themselves face-to-face with Tilson in a formal interview and all manner of tapping up charges could follow - it would, in every likelihood, leave them over the proverbial barrel when it came to any compensation claim.

Sources in the Midlands claimed that the West Brom chairman Jeremy Peace had been quoted a figure of £250,000 in terms of a compensation package for Tilson - that and more is likely to apply to bookies favourite Mark Bowen at Blackburn Rovers with Mark Hughes' No2 having only recently agreed a new, three-year deal at Ewood Park.

In fairness to Tilson, he was well aware of the situation he finds himself in - though he at least confirmed that the Canaries had made a formal approach to Martin with a view to adding the 40-year-old to their final short-list.

"My chairman spoke to me and said that Norwich had phoned to get permission to speak to me and it got turned down," Tilson told Radio Norfolk.

"So I've got to be very careful - it's a difficult one for me. With the chairman saying that - that he won't even speak to them - my hands are tied.

"I could turn round and say: 'Yeh, I'd love the job, the club are big...' but with the chairman saying that, it's difficult for me to say that.'

Tilson - apparently out of the running at The Hawthorns as West Bromwich Albion draw up a three-man short-list reported to feature Alex McLeish, Tony Mowbray and Cardiff's Dave Jones - has long been linked to the City vacancy.

With good reason. Back-to-back promotions - first via a 2-0 Play-off Final success against Lincoln City and then last year's League One title triumph - ensures that the 40-year-old is one of the Football League's hottest managerial properties.

Like free agent and double promotion winner Dave Penney, he has medals on his cv; likewise, he has that young, hungry and ambitious feel to him - qualities that are understood to figure high on Norwich's wish-list as they shy away from hiring one of the 'older' hands that have been doing the rounds. Bryan Robson, for example.

The downside to Tilson - and it is hardly his fault - is that he remains in a job. Like Bowen at Blackburn, Crook at Sydney United and, potentially, Peter Grant at West Ham United, actually deciding that Tilson is City's man might be the easy bit - someone then has to sort out an exit deal with Southend, Rovers or whoever.

Tilson
Jules

9th Oct 06 at 20:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd rather manage Southend than Naaaarwich tbh, but I'd sooner manage a team consisting of hardened convicted aids infested gay jail inmates than Norwich...............
Nath

9th Oct 06 at 21:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Would you rather manage Norwich, or a team full of Sam Parkin's?
GREG 1

9th Oct 06 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This isn't good for Southend, the problem is Stevie Tilson has done ALOT in a short space of time, same goes for Eastwood.

With that in mind everytime a decent club needs a new manager "Tilson is in the running" then everytime a decent club needs a striker "Eastwood is in the running"

Southend are a team going places but we are struggling and could do without this, we have a new stadium thats looking to be built, moved a long way in a short time, have a quality manager and some quality players.

IF we can stay up then I think he will stay, if we don't then it will be a different story!
GREG 1

9th Oct 06 at 21:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also I forgot to mention, Tilson is Southend through and through, he loves the club more than anyone and IF he left id be shocked and gutted.
Nath

9th Oct 06 at 21:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by GREG 1
Also I forgot to mention, Tilson is Southend through and through, he loves the club more than anyone and IF he left id be shocked and gutted.

Nobody is that loyal anymore Greg.
GREG 1

9th Oct 06 at 21:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nath
quote:

I know what you mean BUT i'd like to think he is and he wouldn't want to leave Southend 1/2 finished.
GREG 1

9th Oct 06 at 21:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im alot more worried about loosing Tilson than Eastwood.

With Eastwood we already have his replacement in a guy called Hooper!
GREG 1

9th Oct 06 at 21:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If we go down and Colchester stay up I will be close to suicide!

C................/´¯/
O............../¯ /
L............./..../
C....../´¯/`...`/´¯¯`·¸
H..../`/.../..../......./¨¯\
E...(`(...(...(.... ¯~/`..`)
S....\.................`...../
T.....\`...\...\.........·´
E.......\................/
R.........\............/
Ojc

9th Oct 06 at 21:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Are you starting to come around to mine, Jules & Luigi's thinking that he is actually a complete donkey?
Nath

9th Oct 06 at 21:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
quote:

Are you starting to come around to mine, Jules & Luigi's thinking that he is actually a complete donkey?

Hell no, i'm not joining the doubters camp

[Edited on 09-10-2006 by Nath]
Ojc

9th Oct 06 at 22:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh dear, your in for much disapointment.
Nath

9th Oct 06 at 22:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not really, he's looking good, as are we.
Jules

9th Oct 06 at 23:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

I cannot answer that question, sorry
Nath

9th Oct 06 at 23:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jules
quote:

I cannot answer that question, sorry

Marc

10th Oct 06 at 08:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

I'd like to think Man United players were loyal, I think a lot of players in the squad prove this.
gianluigi

10th Oct 06 at 08:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

stop deluding yourself. the bloke is a lanky piece of shit, who can not win a ball in the air if his life depended on it

all comments made on experiece of his performances last season in the blue of ITFC
Nath

10th Oct 06 at 12:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by gianluigi
quote:

stop deluding yourself. the bloke is a lanky piece of shit, who can not win a ball in the air if his life depended on it

all comments made on experiece of his performances last season in the blue of ITFC

Well my experiences are from THIS season, i.e. now, not when he was at Ipswich.

Slightly more valid too seeing as i've seen him with my own two eyes THIS season.

Not my fault he was shit for you but not us, it happens, get over it.
Nath

10th Oct 06 at 12:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ipswich vs Luton later this month, if he scores the winner........ well...... I'd certainly smile thats for sure.
gianluigi

10th Oct 06 at 12:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Slightly more valid too seeing as i've seen him with my own two eyes THIS season.

we shall see if this is your attitude come the end of the season
GREG 1

10th Oct 06 at 15:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Ipswich vs Luton later this month, if he scores the winner........ well...... I'd certainly smile thats for sure.

If he did, id laugh my head off!
nik

11th Oct 06 at 15:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Southend going places? Back to league 1 I say
Nath

11th Oct 06 at 18:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

If he did, id laugh my head off!

I dont think he needs motivating for that game. Definately got a point to prove to the Ipswich lot.
Robbo

11th Oct 06 at 19:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by gianluigi
quote:

Sound sliek that Seol bloke that Russ was glad to leave Wolves, been havign an absolute stromer in the prem so far!!
Nath

11th Oct 06 at 19:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Exactly Robbo. At least you understand, I was beginning to think it was just me that could grasp that.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » It's not looking good GREG 23 database queries in 0.0113771 seconds