corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Anyone ever gone to a game only for no game to be on that day?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Anyone ever gone to a game only for no game to be on that day?
Nath

User status: Offline
9th Oct 06 at 22:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not me, but this guy on one of our message boards did.

To Hull and Back

Without wanting to take the limelight away from Only Fools and Horses' title, I must describe my trip to the country's Easterly and some what grubby outpost. Namely, Hull in Humberside.
Rising early and in plenty of time (at 9am for a 10am departure) was as wise as we got today, oblivious to the fact we were about to go 180 miles or so up the country for a match that didn't kick off for another 10 days.

After stopping for petrol on the way to J11, we were off on the big wide road which has been the start of so many away day adventures. If only we'd have been "windows", we'd have known there was no Hull v Luton match today, but never mind.

Stopping off at the services of the M18 which are in the middle of some lovely northern fields, the chat switched to whether Brko should start. The resounding answer was no, despite being a hero last week, there was no place for the ageing man in the team regularly, but still, respect to you for letting us go mental last week Ahmet.

The hockey match outside of the KC reminded me of my match in Leighton Buzzard on Wednesday, although the pitches up there I have to admit were of a much higher standard. The Cedars pitch is sandy, metally rubbish.

Anyway, back to the match (or not!) and we arrived at the KC just short of 1.30pm. Having been to Hull four times, and the KC now three times (whether this one counts I will leave the anoraks of you out there), we knew that alcohol was available under the stand, so we discussed where to eat and decided on a Wetherspoons.

It was at this time we realised, having watched some of the hockey match, that no coaches had arrived. "Town On Tour normally get here early 'cossa the ridiculous leaving time" joked Nanny. Before we realised the Bobbers had followed suit in not arriving and having got closer to the entry gate, realised, no joking by this time, that there were no cars in the stadium and just litter from the rugby before. I could not believe there were no stewards

"Time?"
"1:39 we're f**ked" I responded. The penny had dropped and so had our hearts. A long journey home faced us, back down from Hull.

We stayed in the grubby city for a while, just so we could relax for a while. Read some of the Guardian before heading south.

We stopped off near Nottingham, having been down from Yorkshire and Derbyshire. After the 20 minute stop, eating some lovely crisps from M&S Simply Food, we went back from Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire, Northamptonshire, Buckinghamshire and into sacred Bedfordshire.

It was 6:39pm as we pulled in. After listening to the woeful away match with a woeful signal, it had been a bad day on the road. No late goal from Old Trafford cheered us, and then the realisation we had spent eight and a half hours mostly on Britain's motorways for nothing. Except for some Pearce commentary and a chance to reflect.

L T F C ...always. No matter if we're playing or not

Needless to say he got a fucking roasting on the MB for that

He went up on the 7th, but the game is on the 17th
GREG 1

9th Oct 06 at 22:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

LMAO!

I travelled to Stoke City many moons ago for the game to get called off at 2:55.

YES we was in the stadium aswell
Danny P

10th Oct 06 at 18:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My Sh!tford fan mate once thought they were playing at home when they were playing away, he went down to the ground at about 2:30 and nobody was about, phoned one of my other mates to ask where he was and why nobody was about, he got the reply "were in Middlesbourgh you tit, were playing away today"

Thing is he had a match ticket and a coach ticket to get there. Guess thats Bradford fans for you
JonnyJ

10th Oct 06 at 22:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I remember once we were having a protest march before York v Lincoln. Marched all the way to the ground from York Minster chanting and singing only to arrive at the ground and find out it had been called off
nik

11th Oct 06 at 15:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been to a few games where it's been called off. Upto Burnley twice where it's been called off at nearly 3pm - over 500 mile round trip

Edit to say the worse ever was when I was playing for Egham Town and we had a Southern league fixture away on a Tuesday night in Paulton (Somerset)

Drove 1 hour from home to the ground in Egham, 5 hour coach trip to Paulton only to be told while we were warming up a section of the pitch was frozen so that game had to be called off, 6 hour trip home. To make matters better the chairman didn't pay us because he didn't get a rebait on the £800 coach bill

[Edited on 11-10-2006 by nik]
Lukemax

11th Oct 06 at 19:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been to Burnley and Portsmouth only to be told when we got there that the game was off and been in the ground at Watford and Norwich when they told us it was off!

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Anyone ever gone to a game only for no game to be on that day? 23 database queries in 0.0086958 seconds