corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » The Death of Football?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author The Death of Football?
Danny P

User status: Offline
6th Dec 06 at 18:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0tkwqhXTc4

Take note Chelsea/Man Utd/Liverpool/any other team that has been "bought out" by the new found "football men" of today

[Edited on 06-12-2006 by Danny P]
Cosmo

6th Dec 06 at 18:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What a load of rubbish (regardless of this takeover of LFC)

The world moves on, technology moves on, football moved on.

What would you prefer, the return of dangerous all standing grounds, few games on tele? Cows parading round the pitch with adverts on?!
Hammer

6th Dec 06 at 18:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Agreed, playing a few pics of lower league teams over a sad song doesn't signify the death of football.

I'd much rather sit in a safe stand than an unsafe and now illegal terrace.

I've been in quite a few all seater bowls that were far from devoid of atmosphere as well.
Cosmo

6th Dec 06 at 18:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Hammer
I've been in quite a few all seater bowls that were far from devoid of atmosphere as well.

Couldnt agree more. The Ataturk stadium in Istanbul was a bowl type stadium with an athletics track around...that atmosphere was amazing. Its what the supporters make of it IMO.
Cavey

6th Dec 06 at 18:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If that video was true, how come nearly all premiership games are full? There's rarely any seats vacant from the games i've seen on TV.

"Real supporters" will find a way to be able to get a season ticket, or to see every game they can, regardless of cost.

I personally preferred the standing parts at Gresty Road, but obviously having a couple of thousand in a stand in Crewe was a little different to 20,000 in one stand at a major club. Things needed to change, and Sky provided the revenue for it to happen.
Cosmo

6th Dec 06 at 18:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I hate that term...'Real Supporters'...I go to games, but wouldnt call myself anymore of a fan than someone who only watches the games on tele at home. A fan is a fan IMO unless your just a glory supporter.

I went to a few games in the Old Kop at Anfield when it was standing....and 100% prefer sitting. Mainly as I was a younger kid so couldnt see at the best of times, but if you were anywhere near the front you would get squashed if the fans pushed forward when you scored...and that isnt too safe!
Cavey

6th Dec 06 at 18:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's kinda what i mean, at Crewe when i was a kid, the atmosphere was such that i could turn up 2 mins before kick off, everyone would let you right to the front so you could see, and the fact that the stand was relatively small, i never got crushed, always had my dad standing behind me if people pushed forward anyway. Much preferred that to sitting down.

After they changed that stand to seating i went across the ground into the paddock, which was a small standing bit infront of the main stand (about 6 people back) used to stand as close to the half way line as possible, and near a gap, so if people did push forward i just stepped onto the pitch.

That's my experiences anyway, which like i say are proably a lot different to the bigger teams and bigger grounds (that "bee hive end" or whatever it was at Burnely looked mental!)

I also don't like the fact that you're supposed to be seated for the entire game, it got to a point where fans were being ejected for standing up during the game.
Rob_Quads

6th Dec 06 at 18:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Agree 100%. I have been an fan for 20 years. Only last month did I make it to my first game (Arsenal vs Hamburg Match)

I still have old scrap books with cuttings of complete seasons from late 80's etc

Does only attending 1 match make me less of a supporter?
Nath

6th Dec 06 at 18:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Haven't viewed the video but I definately prefer terraces to seating. Seating sucks. Half the grounds i've visited (lower leagues) have/had terracing and it's much more intense. Peterboroughs away end is still terraced and its awesome.

3,300 people in that stand behind the goal. If you don't like terracing then there's nearly always a family enclosure with seats.

[Edited on 06-12-2006 by Nath]
Cosmo

6th Dec 06 at 18:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Quads
Does only attending 1 match make me less of a supporter?

Yes, your no fan

Nah, totally agree, some people just cant get to matches, makes no difference IMO!
Cosmo

6th Dec 06 at 19:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The Kop at Anfield used to hold around 24,000 standing
Nath

6th Dec 06 at 19:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo

Cool.
Cosmo

6th Dec 06 at 19:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nath
quote:

Cool.

I didnt have a clue it was that much, was searching for an old pic but couldnt find one..that bit of info popped up though!
Danny P

6th Dec 06 at 20:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No I wouldnt like to see "dangerous terracing" put in grounds. I would however like to see some form of terracing put back into Stadiums. They could put it in Stadiums and restrict capacities and still keep it safe with ease. Personal opinion but id much rather stand than be in a seated area and being told to sit down every 5 seconds by some jumped up steward in a orange jacket

The the video is trying to make is that over the years the influence of money coming onto the game has taken a part of it away from the working class people, the people that made football such a big success in this country. Gone are the days when a Dad and his lad can down the game and not have to worry about it costing a weeks wages. £40+ is the average price at football in the Premiership these days, you only hav to look at the attendences back in the 80's/early 90's to see that these prices are driving people away.

My team play in a lower league though so maybe I have different views on certain issues.
Cosmo

6th Dec 06 at 20:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Danny P
£40+ is the average price at football in the Premiership these days, you only hav to look at the attendences back in the 80's/early 90's to see that these prices are driving people away.

that isnt the case in the Prem. The only reason they have dropped since the late 80's/early 90's is because of the ban on standing terraces. As mentioned before the Kop used to hold 24k, now its only 10k..so thats an automatic 14k drop straight away.

And with regards to prices...Id like to see figures for ticket price increases with regards to inflation. As Im betting that ticket prices have risen a great deal over the rate of inflation...atleast not in my experience anyway.

A season ticket when I first started going the match 15yrs ago was around £450, its now only around £600. So about £10 a year increase on average is OK by me IMO.
nik

6th Dec 06 at 20:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Much prefer standing. I know the supporters at Burnley want to see some form of standing bought back to Turf Moor. The ground in it's old days with the longside and bee hole end was fucking awesome. Just lacks soul now.
Cosmo

6th Dec 06 at 21:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by nik
The ground in it's old days with the longside and bee hole end was fucking awesome. Just lacks soul now.

But is this not down to the fans, to create the soul and atmosphere? Even without the standing Kop at Anfield the atmosphere is great, and have been to many all seater grounds where it has been just as good as when it was standing.
Nath

6th Dec 06 at 21:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by nik
The ground in it's old days with the longside and bee hole end was fucking awesome. Just lacks soul now.

But is this not down to the fans, to create the soul and atmosphere? Even without the standing Kop at Anfield the atmosphere is great, and have been to many all seater grounds where it has been just as good as when it was standing.

Less fans, less atmosphere.
Cosmo

6th Dec 06 at 23:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Yeah, I kinda agree with this. 15k more fans means we'd have 60k at Anfield now which would obviously make things louder...but without that extra capacity it is still a great atmosphere.

Maybe it has more of an effect at smaller grounds now they cant fit so many in with it being all seated...but it is a hell of alot safer!
Mather.16v

6th Dec 06 at 23:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

for me i can see whats the videos getting at and i agree! but football as with everything, does chnage with the times

theres many reasons for this, ticket prices, all seater stadiums, late/early kick off times(to suit televison showing), more branding for the clubs ect ect imo this has taken alot out of the game and the atmosphere
Cosmo

6th Dec 06 at 23:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mather.16v
theres many reasons for this, ticket prices, all seater stadiums, late/early kick off times(to suit televison showing), more branding for the clubs ect ect imo this has taken alot out of the game and the atmosphere

but it has also added more to the game.

Larger fan base due to games being shown more on TV, shirts being available around the globe, fans who had previously never been able to get to the games now following most on them on TV/Online, etc.
Nath

6th Dec 06 at 23:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

Yeah, I kinda agree with this. 15k more fans means we'd have 60k at Anfield now which would obviously make things louder...but without that extra capacity it is still a great atmosphere.

Maybe it has more of an effect at smaller grounds now they cant fit so many in with it being all seated...but it is a hell of alot safer!

Its definately safer, but less exciting. Some of the best games i've been to were whilst standing in old terraces. For me it just can't be beaten, and i'd love to see controlled terracing brought back.
Cosmo

6th Dec 06 at 23:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Its definately safer, but less exciting. Some of the best games i've been to were whilst standing in old terraces. For me it just can't be beaten, and i'd love to see controlled terracing brought back.

As I mentioned before, I have been in the old Kop, and there is no way it could be controlled unless it was a similar size to it is now (maybe from 24k to around 14k) which would make little difference to the atmosphere.

Plus if you had seen the atmosphere at Anfield on a special night (Chelsea semi-final for Champions League being my best night at Anfield ever) then you wouldnt think twice about a all standing stand!
Cosmo

6th Dec 06 at 23:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

BTW- What I was trying to say there was that if you were going to have controlled standing terraces now they wuld have to be ALOT smaller than in the past...which defiets the idea of having them really!
Nath

6th Dec 06 at 23:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Definately harder to do at places the size of Anfield, but at the likes of Kenilworth Road and similar sized stadiums it'd be easy. It'd also raise a shit load more money.

FC Koln have it sussed

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » The Death of Football? 23 database queries in 0.0123229 seconds