corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » on a serious note

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author on a serious note
Nic Barnes

User status: Offline
28th Dec 06 at 23:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why didnt honda ever do a rally car?

forgetting all the bullshit vtec talk for atleast 3 replies, they make some good std handling cars, some good engines, the cars perform really well and are well enough built compared to other manufacturers that did enter.

maybe rallying isnt as big of a thing in japan?

i just think the older shape civic vti (170 odd bhp thing) is a good overall car and would have been an interesting choice in the late 90's to rally. toyota did the corolla i suppose, buy nothing i can think of from honda?
Ojc

28th Dec 06 at 23:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The V-tec might warp the soft ground beneath it.
Robin
Premium Member

28th Dec 06 at 23:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good question.

I think it's probably because they concentrated their efforts on Saloon/GT/F1 formulas?

Never really thought about it.
whitter45

28th Dec 06 at 23:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

IMO its not the right marketing for the company

Honda have always been involved in motorsport and racing and yes rally is a from of motorsport but their sucess in F1, Indycar, GT etc has meant no need to venture into this category

Its like Subaru - Rally have established them in the car industry and yes prodrive do involve themselves in other motorpsort but Rally is their primary target

Just feel its a Marketing issue - Toyota have had a simialr issues hence F1 and the money it has invested into F1 as a in house devloped car like Renualt and Ferrari as oppose it racing tems such as Maclearn (sp)

Nic Barnes

29th Dec 06 at 00:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by whitter45

Honda have always been involved in motorsport and racing and yes rally is a from of motorsport but their sucess in F1, Indycar, GT etc has meant no need to venture into this category

Its like Subaru - Rally have established them in the car industry and yes prodrive do involve themselves in other motorpsort but Rally is their primary target

Just feel its a Marketing issue - Toyota have had a simialr issues hence F1 and the money it has invested into F1 as a in house devloped car like Renualt and Ferrari as oppose it racing tems such as Maclearn (sp)

yeah, see what your saying actually. i guess from a marketing point of view honda wouldnt benefit anything from the rally world as such unlike as you say subaru who without it would still be selling their cars in tractor and farm related business. i guess most of what we see these days made and developed by honda for their road cars engines and both suspension, they will take more from the f1 and touring car side of things, which to be fair has more of a benefit for the type of road cars they sell, as in the integra type r and the civic type-r. makes a lot of sense of how they developed such a high revving and well handling cars, as the power delivery, although we slate them, most other car makers must be envious of.
sleeper 5 door

29th Dec 06 at 00:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

number 73
Nic Barnes

29th Dec 06 at 00:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sleeper 5 door
number 73

what you mean paul?
whitter45

29th Dec 06 at 00:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by muppetsport
quote:

yeah, see what your saying actually. i guess from a marketing point of view honda wouldnt benefit anything from the rally world as such unlike as you say subaru who without it would still be selling their cars in tractor and farm related business. i guess most of what we see these days made and developed by honda for their road cars engines and both suspension, they will take more from the f1 and touring car side of things, which to be fair has more of a benefit for the type of road cars they sell, as in the integra type r and the civic type-r. makes a lot of sense of how they developed such a high revving and well handling cars, as the power delivery, although we slate them, most other car makers must be envious of.

thats exactly what I'm saying - on a slightly different note my mate has just got an M3 BMW with 343 BHP

Right the CTR was slated in previous threads as it makes 197 bhp with only 145 lb/ft for Torque (so called shite for a 2.0 engine)

right the M3 with 3.2 makes 343 BHP (high out put) but with 269 lb./ft of torque similar to the 3.2 v6 of the VAG group - for the torque figure

So is that torque figure shite as its the same as other 3.2's I think not

People talk rubbish about the Vtec units yet they set the standard as most car makers have follwed Vtec with VVt in toyota and VVt in the VAG engines etc

[Edited on 29-12-2006 by whitter45]
The Fonz

29th Dec 06 at 13:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

thats exactly what I'm saying - on a slightly different note my mate has just got an M3 BMW with 343 BHP

Right the CTR was slated in previous threads as it makes 197 bhp with only 145 lb/ft for Torque (so called shite for a 2.0 engine)

right the M3 with 3.2 makes 343 BHP (high out put) but with 269 lb./ft of torque similar to the 3.2 v6 of the VAG group - for the torque figure

So is that torque figure shite as its the same as other 3.2's I think not

People talk rubbish about the Vtec units yet they set the standard as most car makers have follwed Vtec with VVt in toyota and VVt in the VAG engines etc

[Edited on 29-12-2006 by whitter45]

before the vtec slagging starts i'll just say, 145 lb ft shite? Whats a standard xe torque again? 160 lb ft or summet? not a huge difference but the power difference is 40-50 hp more from k20 to the xe. The honda engines are no better or worse than the xe's they just work in a different way, ( high reving power compared to low down torque). I think with the correct gearing a honda rally car would be good. Also will people stop saying vvt on toyota's and vag's is the same as v tec it's compleatly different!! drive all of them and you will see.
Baskey

29th Dec 06 at 13:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do any honda's have 4wd as standard ?
Steve
Premium Member

29th Dec 06 at 13:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

vtec is the same as VVTLI though
Marc

29th Dec 06 at 13:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't think so, other than CR-V/HR-V obviously. The lack of torque isn't as bad as some idiots on here would have you believe, especially as the high revving engine compensates for the lack of torque.
justrials2

29th Dec 06 at 13:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

honda seam to be more in with the f1 side of motor sport
Swiftay

29th Dec 06 at 13:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ClubRally National Championship..

think they may be independelty owned though.
Baskey

29th Dec 06 at 14:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yea found a few independants, honda civic vti in the irsh championship but nothing from honda them selfs
Marc

29th Dec 06 at 14:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There was some rallying featuring Hondas on Sky Sports 3 last week. Was in Australia.
Nismo

29th Dec 06 at 14:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As its been mentioned , they focus on F1 and GT , like Scoob and Mitsu focus on WRC.

And marcs comment sums everyone up on here, but heck what do i know...
Marc

29th Dec 06 at 14:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Indeed, you know nothing!
Nismo

29th Dec 06 at 14:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mk4_astra

29th Dec 06 at 14:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Baskey
do any honda's have 4wd as standard ?

the japanese accord type R, was around 250bhp iirc
Robin
Premium Member

29th Dec 06 at 14:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

JDM Accord Type R was FWD, like the UK one.

They did do some 4wd cars, but they were mostly crappy estate cars and stuff.

Whitter, the M3 makes 'crap' torque compared to the VAG V6 because V engines make more torque then straight engines of the same size.
whitter45

29th Dec 06 at 14:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robin
JDM Accord Type R was FWD, like the UK one.

They did do some 4wd cars, but they were mostly crappy estate cars and stuff.

Whitter, the M3 makes 'crap' torque compared to the VAG V6 because V engines make more torque then straight engines of the same size.

Your msising my point - I don't think the torque figure is bad it just looks bad compared to the power figure

The Honda engines are fantastic I was trying to show that the Torque figures that the M£ and CTR prodice are not bad compared to other engines of the same size but the extra they deliver is engineering at its best

Hope you see where I'm coming from
corsa5dr

29th Dec 06 at 14:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by muppetsport
quote:

Spot on IMO
The Fonz

29th Dec 06 at 14:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There is a honda crx b16 turbo 4x4 somewhere i've seen but out of the factory, just crv/hrv as mentioned.

Steve as metioned many times, no vtec and vvt not the same. vvt=oil pressure adjusted cam timing, vtec=oil pressure and ecu solinoid controlled timing duration and valve lift, (As in valves open more).
Steve
Premium Member

29th Dec 06 at 15:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what i mean is vvtli is the equivalent of vtec, it was even designed by the guy who designed vtec

note vvtLi not vvti

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » on a serious note 22 database queries in 0.1802258 seconds