corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » motor vehicle mechanics!

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author motor vehicle mechanics!
JayT

User status: Offline
18th Jan 07 at 20:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im at college at the moment doin joinery but i dont think its for me, across from our workshop in the motor vehicle garages and i keep thinking id prefer to be doing that any day! i think id enjoy a job in the motor trade id love to be able to work on cars and even my own, i just love cars in general! i know theres not much money in it well thats what i hear but surely if you can end up working for someone like audi or bentley there must be cash in that! anyway i know there are loads of mechanics on here so advice would be very much appreciated! cheers, Jamie.
bubble

18th Jan 07 at 20:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsa boy Jay T
im at college at the moment doin joinery but i dont think its for me, across from our workshop in the motor vehicle garages and i keep thinking id prefer to be doing that any day! i think id enjoy a job in the motor trade id love to be able to work on cars and even my own, i just love cars in general! i know theres not much money in it well thats what i hear but surely if you can end up working for someone like audi or bentley there must be cash in that! anyway i know there are loads of mechanics on here so advice would be very much appreciated! cheers, Jamie.

my advice dont do it.

i did it for 6 and a half years. no1 will ever appreciate anything u do.
R16AN H

18th Jan 07 at 20:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if your not really serious about it mate and are only looking at it for a stop gap, wouldnt bother. if you are serious then look into doing it properly,city and guilds or what ever it is now. find somewhere half decent to work(if possible) and listen to the people who have been doing it for years,dont think you can learn it all in a day! i spent six years doing it,but everything is changing and you are continuously learning. i got out of it purely for a change,but still make money out of it, as long as the job is done well.
Warren G

18th Jan 07 at 20:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you don't enjoy it - change

but, motor trade at the moment isnt great,

low levels of work in most places
crap pay for skilled job
unless you find a tuning place i wouldn't reconmend it
Dean B

18th Jan 07 at 20:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got an apprenticeship at Ford, quit after a few weeks to become a electrician. Never looked back tbh, bad trade to be in now a days, money is shocking for such a skilled trade.
Warren G

18th Jan 07 at 20:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dean B
I got an apprenticeship at Ford, quit after a few weeks to become a electrician. Never looked back tbh, bad trade to be in now a days, money is shocking for such a skilled trade.

i no a first year electricain, on more than me (third year mechanic)

not the trade to be in - electrician is the thing to be
Dean B

18th Jan 07 at 20:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by warren.g
quote:
Originally posted by Dean B

i no a first year electricain, on more than me (third year mechanic)

not the trade to be in - electrician is the thing to be

In my first year, through JTL i was on 160, at Ford i earned 105.

I'm in my final year i now earn about 400 a week. At ford i would have come out with about 250 qualified.
Jake

18th Jan 07 at 20:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i thought exactly the same as you, worked in a garage for 5 weeks and though it was utter wank. I only enjoy working on my own car, not other peoples.
Dean B

18th Jan 07 at 20:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I only enjoy working on my own car, not other peoples.

Yup . Didn't want to take a hobbie, and turn it into a living.

[Edited on 18-01-2007 by Dean B]
Anthony

18th Jan 07 at 20:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

joinery is a much better trade to be in, ..im currently doing drylining, and suspended ceilings, and at 17 earning 200 notes a week,, but now im on price work, it will be going up aslong as i keep my arse in gear....
Graeme
Premium Member

18th Jan 07 at 20:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i am currently doing my painting/refinishing apprenticeship and even though the wage is crap and i get all the shit jobs i do love my job, i get to drive some amazing cars but that is down to where i work, i also know quite a few apprentice mechanics and some of them love it some of them hate it but u really need to want to do it to get through the first 3 years or so with the apprenticeship and then the money gets better and there are always the good old PJ`s.

Also once your qualified or whilst doing it you can ask about doing a MOT testers course which will earn u more money.

You really need to want to do it to do it or you will just end up droping out and becoming bored, but if u want to do it go for it and good luck!

Jake

18th Jan 07 at 20:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeh i done bricklaying at college for two years and recently started working with a builder doing conservatory bases. Only earning £205 a week but I'm only worth that at the moment. Also work weekends to keep up the cash flow. Building trade is a good one to be in especially with all the houses being built in England
Anthony

18th Jan 07 at 21:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

am currently dryling that new school opening up near kingston, called oakgroove shcool& lesiure... only annoying thing about site work,, is u get some really stricted site managers,gets on ya nerves abit.. but liveable with if your earning a good amount..
BeArDy

18th Jan 07 at 21:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Loving working on car soon will go away when your under them everyday mate.
The main reason why i keep it as a hobby.
K11 NNL

18th Jan 07 at 21:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I used to love working on cars doing it as a hobby helping out with the stockcars then a started my apprenticeship with fiat and after 4 years of that am now at merc and its all electrics and its no fun anymore.but a wouldnt say the pays that bad,depends where you work.
weerab

18th Jan 07 at 21:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im on 95 quid a week and im in my first year apprenticeship as a mechanic
jamesvalver

18th Jan 07 at 21:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im just coming towards the end of my apprenticeship and im still on minimum wage. im taking about £180 home a week. to be honest there isnt much money in the job unless your running your own business or doing your own private work. i started off working for vauxhall but i now work for mazda (lots nicer to work on)

i can agree to some extent what beardy says about being underneith cars all day. ive had a few petty little problems on my car which have been there for awhile now because when ive finished a week working on cars, sometimes i cant be bothered to work on my own car
JayT

18th Jan 07 at 22:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i can understand what a lot of you are saying but i think its realy important to enjoy your job at the end of the day, to be honest id prefer to be on average pay doing something id love rather than raking it in but having to work fukin hard constantly and not enjoy it! about enjoying your life at the end of the day! there is money in it if you get up the ladder surely! im suprised at how many of you say you dont like it and dont rate it!
Graeme
Premium Member

18th Jan 07 at 22:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

also if your young then why not give it a go!

you can always go back to what your doing!
TomSBD

18th Jan 07 at 22:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

been in the trade for the past for years, in my last year at college jst qualified to be an mot tester and for the first time i can say im on a good wage. if you are going to do it you really must hav to like cars and you will have to put up with crap wages as its taken me a while to get there but i have learnt a lot along the way and you will never stop learning. i enjoy my work, you jst never know what will come through the doors each day, well some times lol, there is always something different

JayT

18th Jan 07 at 22:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers tom, what i like to hear! i think i will enjoy it and im looking forward to changing! im at a realy good college to so will learn a fair bit! and as someone else just said im still young only 18 so can always change if i dont like it!
TomSBD

18th Jan 07 at 22:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i started at the age as i was doing a computing course and quid after a year due to me being board as fuk lol. never really looked back, best thing i ever did was starting mechanics. got into it jst doing a few days a week at a local garage then they offered me a full time job with training and went from there. all you need to do is find a good work place that your happy with and work up from there.
STEvieXE

18th Jan 07 at 22:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Graeme
i am currently doing my painting/refinishing apprenticeship and even though the wage is crap and i get all the shit jobs i do love my job, i get to drive some amazing cars but that is down to where i work, i also know quite a few apprentice mechanics and some of them love it some of them hate it but u really need to want to do it to get through the first 3 years or so with the apprenticeship and then the money gets better and there are always the good old PJ`s.

i used to be like you.. 7 years on and i can honestly say i am ready for a change.. also agree with james, cant be assed working on my own car after the usual 40 hours of other folks cars.

used to love it, now just have my good days and my bad days. i bring home 300 for 40hours and as much over time as i want at time and a half which works out at 13.69. moneys not bad but when u look at electricians etc an apprentice would be making as much as me with scope for shitloads more.

ill not get any more in this country just cost of living rises etc..

in fairness i still do like my job, the stress of working to very tight times gets me, always nice to get a handy job every once in a while to help lift the spirits but when ur stuck doing nitemare stuff for a while it can become depressing..

Also once your qualified or whilst doing it you can ask about doing a MOT testers course which will earn u more money.

You really need to want to do it to do it or you will just end up droping out and becoming bored, but if u want to do it go for it and good luck!

Joe

18th Jan 07 at 22:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only reason i'm in the trade is because my dad owns a garage and I get paid well for what I do and qualified to do. Would'nt do it otherwise, doubt ill be doing it all my life though so does'nt bother me.
Joe

18th Jan 07 at 22:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by bubblevaux
no1 will ever appreciate anything u do.

Also this sums it up for me. No appreciation whatsoever

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » motor vehicle mechanics! 22 database queries in 0.4289210 seconds