corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Corsa B steering rack

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Corsa B steering rack
Robbbbb

User status: Offline
18th Feb 07 at 18:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi, couple of questions, ive managed to snap the steering arm on my 1993 corsa B, passenger side pretty close to the track rod end, have a used one on order that i managed to get hold of very very cheap, as far as I am aware the only problem with my current rack is the snap in the one arm, the rest of the rack works fine, the other wheel turns no problems etc, does the steering arm come out of the rack so i can just replace that bit without mucking about getting the whole thing out or if i do need to change the whole thing how much of a pain is this, and can anyone give me any pointers as i'll be doing it next weekend, the car has had a redtop conversion also (if this makes things any harder). Cheers.

Rob
andyc1234

19th Feb 07 at 00:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the arm is pinned onto the steering rack its a bastard to get off i tried when i snapped one of mine ended up changing the whole rack not much chance of getting the rack out either without dropping the engine a bit. its not a esy job to do
Robbbbb

19th Feb 07 at 12:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah crap, well time isn't an issue and i've got a couple of mates there to help me as well so it will get done eventually, was just hoping it was going to be easier than that hehe, nevermind i'll get to it on saturday and see what im letting myself in for! cheers anyway.

Rob
Stu_22

19th Feb 07 at 14:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not sure what sort of rack you have but when my track rod ends were well and truly rusted on I replace the arm it just screw onto the central bit of the rack on a normal bog astandard 1.2 no PAS
Robbbbb

19th Feb 07 at 14:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh, thats interested me a bit more! the shell i believe from the factory was a 1.4 bog standard corsa, it has no PAS, as i say the only difference in it is the 2.0 redtop conversion but im just assuming that its still got the same rack in it, dont see why the rack would need to be changed with the conversion, was just querying the tight space in the bay, as i know this jobs a pain even with a standard engine which obviously fills up a lot less engine bay space. Back to the point though if its just a case of taking off the broken steering arm and putting one on from my new rack that would be brilliant, will have to see i suppose! any more pointers/tips and advise on this would be great. Cheers,

Rob
valverguy

19th Feb 07 at 17:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i snapped mine in the same place. on a 1.2 8v with no PAS in the end i had to fit a whole new rack. believe me when i say its a fucker of a job with the engine in. Its do able though. just expect a full day or 2 on it with mates aswell. Oh and get new track rod ends there only a couple of quid but make it so much easier to track up.

New Poll