corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Project 1 - Corsa Sport + Cally T = ? (SA lights + ARB page 5)

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Project 1 - Corsa Sport + Cally T = ? (SA lights + ARB page 5)
C4RL0

User status: Offline
   31st Mar 07 at 19:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was going to keep this under wraps, and then show the car at PV this year, but . . . . it looks like I might not even be making it so i'll show you guys on here instead.

Unfortunately, you guys are only going to see half of my project, it's been an on going project for nearly a year now. Firstly, I cam across a rather sorry looking X-reg corsa, which just had a bit shabby paint work and needed a tidy up in general. So I got it fairly cheap.

But before anything else, I decided to whack a C16XE in there just for good measure. I wasn't happy with that, so then the mantzel box went on, it kept me happy for a while but I just wasn't happy with the way the car was looking. So it was time for a full respray. Here it is at the bodyshop.

semi smooth tail gate

all rust patches were taken back to bare metal and treated, basically, all little imperfections were taken care of

and it finished up ending like this

I was going to put throttle bodies on the 1600 and try and get as much power as possible, then my mate took me out in his Turbo Nova. 2 days later I was driving back from Nottingham with a mint Cally T on a trailer which I picked up for . . . . . . . £750!!!!! And when I say mint, it was immaculate! I actually did feel a slight bit of guilt knowing that I was going to break it, but who gives a fuck right!?

Just after I had got the ungine out of the Calibra, second gear went in my C16XE. Couldn't have chose a better time! That was it, engine was out that weekend and prep'd for the big turbo lump.

But then, I sort of got carried away and this is how it stands at the moment . . . . .

1 car with no engine

and 1 engine with no car (believe it or not, there is a full engine in that picture!:lol

I am making progress though, as you can see I totally stripped then engine which was not my intentions at all, but I got a little too carried away. And earlier this week I cleaned and painted the block with heat resistant satin black paint

Today I got my new waterpump (£28.14) and my uprated oil pump from regal with steel internals and nylon relief valve (£195). So I have just been plodding along with them today, and here's apic of my nice new parts

And that is how it stands at this very moment. So I don't think that I am going to be ready for PV

Anyways, what do you guys think? I'll be updating everytime I do something else so keep posted!

[Edited on 21-10-2007 by C4RL0]
Jonny P

31st Mar 07 at 19:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks great mate, keep it up and please make PVS
Matt L

31st Mar 07 at 19:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looking nice and sounds good. lets hope your ready for pvs.
C4RL0

31st Mar 07 at 19:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well if I do it's going to be tight. I've got no problem rebuilding the engine and getting it in, it's buying all the parts that I need. Unfortunately I don't have andless cash flow because I've decided everything I buy will either be a genuine Vaux part or from autovaux, or an uprated part.
EarlofBarnet

1st Apr 07 at 08:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looking good lad! Just get on with it and get it finished! I've finished mine now so you've no excuses
C4RL0

1st Apr 07 at 21:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well i'm getting there, slowly. Did you manage to get the bumpers and skirts finished as well then?
EarlofBarnet

2nd Apr 07 at 12:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nope, concentrating on the getting the car started first. Some wiring is wrong somewhere but don't know where, lol.
C4RL0

3rd Apr 07 at 20:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right, well I managed to get back from work a little early so thought I might as well get the bottom end all finished off. So I started off by cleaning and de-greasing the sump, inside and out.

I then gave it a couple of coats of silver spray to make it look nice and new with some wet and dry 1200 in between coats. I was going to give it a coat of clear laquer as well but when I offered it up to the engine I thought it looked better just with the silver finish.

I then put my new baffle plate and sump gasket on (£27). It was an uprated part from Chris Astley which I think is the same as the 8v baffle plate and gasket, and then the oil pick up pipe with a new o-ring.

Instead of re-fitting the sump and gasket with the original bolts I got hold of some stainless cap head style bolts. Which are less prone to rounding I think and look better because they are silver.

And that's it for today. I should be getting my head back soon from the rebuild so I will have more pics and an update around then
DJMartin07

3rd Apr 07 at 20:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I hope your at PVS, it will be fun seeing that car blare down the strip.
C4RL0

3rd Apr 07 at 20:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well it will be close if I do make it to PV! If I do get there I'm hoping to run low 13's, I've never been on any 1/4 mile either, should be fun

Question for you guys - do corsa's use the oil level sender in the sump? If not i'm going to make a plate and blank it off. I know they don't in the nova's but I'm unsure about the corsa
DJMartin07

3rd Apr 07 at 20:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't think they do in the corsa, Do you know what a 1.4 SRi would do in a 1/4 mile.
C4RL0

3rd Apr 07 at 21:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ermmm 16 - 17

I don't have a clue TBH mate. My C16XE ran low 15's with just a Mantzel box on. Unfortunately it wasn't me driving it though
DJMartin07

3rd Apr 07 at 21:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh, right cheers mate for that mate.
C4RL0

4th Apr 07 at 19:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been down to Tommy's taoday and I should have my head back tomorrow looking like new. I haven't gone for anything interesting, just new valve stem oil seals, cam seals, re-seat the valves and re-face them. As well as an acid dip and de-coke.

But while I'm waiting for that, thought I might as well clean, de-grease and paint up some other parts . . . .

Dipstick tube and breather after cleaning

dipstick and breather after paint (bottom has been done silver and tubes satin black)

I started to clean the inlet manifold as well, but was going to take too long and I just can't be bothered today
DJMartin07

5th Apr 07 at 09:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That looks pretty sweet.
C4RL0

5th Apr 07 at 22:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well it's the nice little touches that make all the difference

Another update coming soon
C4RL0

5th Apr 07 at 22:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Finally, Easter's here so I get 4 days off. But I'm skint at the mo so won't be doing much. I did get a phone call today though, saying my head was ready to be picked up

It's just been for an overhaul - refaced and seated the valves, with new valve stem oil seals and cam seals, along with an acid dip and decoke so looking like new now. Couple of pics below, and hopefully I should be fitting this tomorrow along with my multi-layered steel head gasket

DJMartin07

6th Apr 07 at 09:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice
EarlofBarnet

6th Apr 07 at 10:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Progress! Well done lad, head looks clean
C4RL0

6th Apr 07 at 19:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well I hope so, it's just been re-built!
C4RL0

6th Apr 07 at 19:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hopefully it should be on tomorrow, and all tightened down. Then I'm just waiting for some verniers off Beardy, to go with my XE inlet cam
C4RL0

10th Apr 07 at 19:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Back to work today, but at least I did get 4 days off, so i did manage to get some bits done. First of all, I got my head back on the Thursday, so thought I would fit it over the weekend.

Instead of using the standard headgasket, I went for the multi-layered steel headgasket from the Z20LET, and some new headbolts. I thought the steel headgasket would go straight on, but when i trial fitted it, it looked like I needed to drill out 2 of the rivets holding the layers together. For anyone doing it, it is the 2 rivets on the exhaust side iirc. Then obviously gave the block to head surface a good clean.

Went on no bother. Then tightened it down 18.5flb with 3x90degrees on each bolt. Still need to tighten it down another 40degrees after running the engine and getting it warm.

My underdrive pulley managed to make it's way to mine on the saturday as well. You can see how much smaller it is than the standard item, and it is also so much lighter. It's supposed to release wasted horse power from the altenator and power steering by slowing them down and putting less strain on the engine. Whether it works or not but looks nice anyways

It doesn't come with the cambelt drive though, so I spent the best part of 3hours trying to seperate my old one from the standard pulley. What a pain in the arse nearly all the bolts were rounded and there just wasn't enough hammer and chisels in the world to do it. But eventually persitance did pay off. The more of them I got out the easier it became. This is the part I was after on the right.

Which then fits like so

But this won't be fitted together until I get the timing done.

I then finally got my QED pullies from Beardy, needed them for the XE inlet cam setup.

But how the fook do you get the original pullies off? You can see the inlet cam hasn't got a pulley, because thats how I got it. But how do I get the pulley off my standard exhaust cam? I know I don't have to but I might as well put both my vernier pullies on. And do they need new bolts after taking out the old ones?

I then started to clean up my inlet manifold ready for spraying and my fuel rail ready for polishing. Didn't get very far with them, is there an easier way of doing it? Can I not get the shot blasted?

Any help and comments much appreciated guys

[Edited on 10-04-2007 by C4RL0]
DJMartin07

10th Apr 07 at 19:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks mate, i'm starting to get bits for my car mate, just brought some GSi skirts and arches off fro, collect them on Sunday at Northants meet.
C4RL0

10th Apr 07 at 20:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thought that was your pic in the avatar?
DJMartin07

10th Apr 07 at 20:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No, I got it off google images.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Project 1 - Corsa Sport + Cally T = ? (SA lights + ARB page 5) 23 database queries in 0.0164042 seconds