corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » spraying wheels

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author spraying wheels
TheCam

User status: Offline
3rd Jun 07 at 09:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I managed to pick up a set of cavvy gsi wheels cheap. I want to spray them black. what exactly do i have to do? I understand the basics i.e prime sand then paint. but you have to prime a few times and sand with different grades of sanding disks is this correct? what paint do i use and will i have to laquer after paint?
can someone please do me a walkthrough?
theres a pint in it for the best walkthrough
abdus

3rd Jun 07 at 09:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

first you need to wash them to remove all dirt and grease

then sand them down with 240 (80 to correct any minor kerbing) moving on to finer grades up to 2000 if you can to make it well smooth

wash again and leave to dry completely.

first coat of primer, sand down again, wash again, then 2nd coat of primer and leave to dry. wet and dry (wet and soapy water) with 1500 or something near this and wash again, 3rd coat if you are not satisfied with primer coat.

Then move on to your paint colour, 1 coat, leave to dry, wet and dry with 1200 then 1500, wash, leave to dry, then repeat. Do not overspray in a specific area.

on your final coat, spray a mist of lacquer for it to blend with the paint. Leave to dry and 1-2 coats more lacquer and leave to dry for 3-4 days or more.

BTW, use thinner/prep wipes each time before painting to remove any small particles or grease left.

don't overdo the primer, it will chip easily

after lacquer is dry, rub with some cutting compund...and polish

on car:

after 4-5 months on car and never cleaned:

[Edited on 03-06-2007 by abdus]
TheCam

3rd Jun 07 at 13:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

abdus you are the man lol
when you say wet and dry i dont understand what you mean? do i clean it with soapy water then dry then sand or???
help appreciated
abdus

3rd Jun 07 at 13:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no 'wet and dry' sandpaper. Sandpaper you can use wet also...buy them from halfords
TheCam

3rd Jun 07 at 13:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ah see... thanx mate
corsa_gsi_16v

7th Jul 07 at 16:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

does this work the same to spray the wheels to white mate? or do i have to change something? also whats the best but cheaper paint to get and where? very thankfull if theres a answer back. ?

New Poll