corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Starting a scrapyard

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Starting a scrapyard
stubs

User status: Offline
8th Feb 08 at 01:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have been thinking about a career change lately, and was thinking how much I would love to own my own scrapyard... what do you think would be involved in setting up from scratch? And what sort of capital would I need behind me?
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
8th Feb 08 at 02:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think there is a lot of regulation these days not least health and safety but also environmental. A few places by me have closed as they were on soft ground and this is no good because fluids leak in to it.

Plus you have a general downturn in home mechanics, modern vehicles usually have warranties etc.

Definitely cool though. Perhaps nicer if you could get some special cars in there although most breakers who have more interesting stuff are usually more expensive. Not sure how the figures of buying high end models stacks up.

[Edited on 08-02-2008 by Ian]
Kurt

8th Feb 08 at 02:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its not as simple as everyone thinks! my family has been doing it for 4 generations...
stubs

8th Feb 08 at 02:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well I was thinking more along the lines of an indoor breakers, with all the parts available "off the shelf"

There used to be a place in Bury that did this, and they ran the place from a counter... kinda took the fun out of it for me, but I suppose it makes better sense for the buyer, and for the fact that they don't waste good bonnets, looms, etc... the kinda stuff that gets wrecked by people only interested in what they are getting & not concerned about standing all over the other cars. They used to strip a car down as soon as it arrived in the yard, and stored all the parts in the warehouse.

Like you say, I would prefer to deal with the special stuff.. from what I've noticed with my regular visits to the yards, the old places arent really that interested in the special stuff, they just prefer the regular income of run of the mill.

I see where you're coming from with the downturn of home mechanics, but I believe a majority of the regulars would be mail order, and local "back street" garages. Surely the scrap trade will always be around?
stubs

8th Feb 08 at 02:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kurt
its not as simple as everyone thinks! my family has been doing it for 4 generations...

I dont think its a simple thing to do, which is why I'm asking about it.
What advice would you have to offer, as someone who is in the know?
Jakey
Premium Member

8th Feb 08 at 07:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Which scrappy Andy?
willhouse

8th Feb 08 at 08:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

probably better getting in to the scrap metals industry to be honest- easier to make money from what i gather.
Kurt

8th Feb 08 at 09:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jakey
quote:

Which scrappy Andy?

George Poole's. Clough Street, Hanley..
Kurt

8th Feb 08 at 10:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by stubs
quote:

I dont think its a simple thing to do, which is why I'm asking about it.
What advice would you have to offer, as someone who is in the know?

well tbh ive stayed away from due to things id rather no go into but i have worked for my dad in the past..

you seem to want to be a breakers and not a scrap yard though..

as a breakers you need a license for vehicle dismantling.. cant quite remember what it is but its to do with oils and plastics and glass..

my dad takes the odd car but mainly shells with no engine due to not having the license as he doesnt get enough to justify having it... its also man time.. you have to have someone removing the parts

i cant really advise on a breakers as he deals mainly with heavy scrap and non ferrous metals

[Edited on 08-02-2008 by Kurt]
Jenko_Sport

8th Feb 08 at 10:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Never noticed a scrappy on clough street
Kurt

8th Feb 08 at 11:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jenko_Sport
Never noticed a scrappy on clough street

its next to greenhous vauxhall.. inbetween there main showroom and other lot
Fro

8th Feb 08 at 11:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My Dad runs his own small Recovery/vehicle collection and removal company in east london. And rents a small yard.

He'll pick up unwanted cars from people and then either fix them if they are smashed / broken into, if they are allowed back on the road or break them and scrap them if they will be too time consuming to put back on the road.

He saves things like petrol, any alloys and Catalytic converters. As petrol is always handy to have (i use quite a bit ) And the alloys and cats can fetch quite a lot of money when saved up for a while and all cashed in at once.

He also recovers vehicles for insurance companies and will charge them storage for how ever long he has to keep them, and sometimes the company will cut there loses if they have alaready paid out and offer him the vehicle cheap to buy.

He is also signed up to a traders site for accident damaged vehicles, and if business is slow he'll have a look and buy something if he thinks money can be made on it (like my golf which was flood damged, ended up saving a few KKKK)

From what i can see it is a very good earner, i'e he stored a moped for 3 months and got over 2K for it and its not like a moped takes up alot of space

All depends what way you want to get into it.

Shite pic but you get the idea, we'd moved a lot of cars out though its usuall rammed.

All Torque

8th Feb 08 at 11:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I like the idea of 'tidy indoor' scrapyards

When I went to A5 salvage for a new fan it was like ASDA "aisle 2, next to the wing mirrors"
All Torque

8th Feb 08 at 11:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

*related pic*

A scapped KA with NO body damage, and the engine is intact, but ts only 3 years old
Jay

8th Feb 08 at 12:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The scrappy/breakers in Blackburn looks good, been past it on the Motorway.
Graham88

8th Feb 08 at 14:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There is a breakers in Rochester that is an indoor breakers. They break the cars and have everything on the shelf. It's a good idea really as most cars in your normal scrappies don't have any real useful parts left.

www.vauxhallpartsandspares.com

There website, you can see some pictures of the way they do it.
loo_goblin

8th Feb 08 at 14:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My dads mates had a fire at his scrap yard the other day, just to rebuild it all etc going to cost 1.5 million
Jay

8th Feb 08 at 14:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by loo_goblin
My dads mates had a fire at his scrap yard the other day, just to rebuild it all etc going to cost 1.5 million

I remember the one in Bootle (for the members in the know) went on fire, they had to block the road off and had 4 fire engines at the scene and still couldn't put it out.
stubs

8th Feb 08 at 21:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Appologies Kurt, I used the term "scrap" incorrectly.. I have always generalised breakers yards & salvage yards as "scrap yards" simply because people tend to say "the car has been scrapped"

When I think about it now, all the places that I look at for inspiration are called *** Salvage; *** Breakers or *** Dismantlers.

So to establish & run a vehicle dismantlers, what would be involved?
stubs

8th Feb 08 at 21:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Graham88
There is a breakers in Rochester that is an indoor breakers. They break the cars and have everything on the shelf. It's a good idea really as most cars in your normal scrappies don't have any real useful parts left.

www.vauxhallpartsandspares.com

There website, you can see some pictures of the way they do it.

Cheers for that dude! Thay place looks kinda like what I would be interested in.
sand-eel

8th Feb 08 at 22:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the hard bit is getting the land and permission, me thinks

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Starting a scrapyard 22 database queries in 0.0087700 seconds