corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Hmm.. anyone know why...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Hmm.. anyone know why...
Paul_J

User status: Offline
20th Feb 08 at 00:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Basically, I'm accessing my uni network, and working on a computer in one of the labs (while at my uni home, using my laptop) ... Basically I need to use the computer in the lab, as I'm running some distributed software I've written across a cluster of computers.

Now, I was enjoying this working in comfort, (rather than having to trek onto campus) - and even was watching a film (lock stock) at the same time

But after about 5-10 mins, my pc suddenly (not gradually) grinds to a halt, messages come up saying 'out of memory' etc etc...

I'm using SSL Explorer from my uni side, with a putty connection into the uni and it's giving me access to the terminals no prob... I notice this stuff if using java too.

Anyone know why I'm just getting a sudden load of memory use and thus crashing my pc? I was observing memory and it was fine, it's just after a while it locks up - like java's buffer overflowing or something.
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
20th Feb 08 at 00:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its not a Java problem if you only have mplayer and putty running. What else you got in the tray?
Richie

20th Feb 08 at 01:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds liek a memory leak
Paul_J

20th Feb 08 at 01:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ian SSL explorer agent which is how you have to connect to the uni...

Hmm...
Paul_J

20th Feb 08 at 01:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

brb need to reboot my laptop again...

even though nothing is currently running to do with it (I've shut it all down) java in the process list is still sitting at 50% cpu (I'm guessing hogging 1 full core, of the duo processor).
Paul_J

20th Feb 08 at 01:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

FFS I think I've locked myself out of the network now or something, probably through connecting too many times (connect, pc crash, reboot, try to reconnect)...

Now saying 'connection refused' when I try to log in pain in the ass....

New Poll