corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Boxers/Weight trainers - Diet?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Boxers/Weight trainers - Diet?
Wrighty

User status: Offline
7th Mar 08 at 15:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whats do you guys eat like on a day to day basis?

Ta
Carl

7th Mar 08 at 16:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Boxers and weight lifters dont eat the same all year around, depends on where they are in their training, when the next event is all sorts. Plus the spectrum of boxers is big, so i'm sure a light weight wont be eating what a heavy weight is. What you actually wanting to know? the intakes or the actual type of foods they consume at what times etc?
smack

7th Mar 08 at 20:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

boxers dont do weight training so not to sure what you want to know?
i do boixing, eat a load of pasta/tuna, and rice food.
weightliftings quit a bit stricter and more intense i belive on what they eat
radicalry00

7th Mar 08 at 22:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Of course boxers do weight training. At high levels of competitve boxing, most boxers do weights.

However, their training's not geared towards size, it's geared towards sheer power and explosiveness. Do you think all the heavy weights are that strong from punching a bag 5 hours a day?
smack

8th Mar 08 at 01:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol do u know anything at all about boxing? no boxers press or do weights, it slows down the boxer, and takes out the explosive punchining power.
serisley (sp) if you havent a clue about it, dont chat shit

bigdan

8th Mar 08 at 02:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i thought boxers trained like rocky did in his movies ?
Laney

8th Mar 08 at 10:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tbh, I eat as much as I can during the day I'm training and make sure I have something like porridge an hour or so before I start. Then when I get in I have a meal and a shake before bed.

Shake for breakfast the next day and make sure I eat enough.

The days I'm not training I just make sure I'm not hungry and get the right amount in me.

Not sure if thats right, but its what I do
Carl

8th Mar 08 at 10:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by smack
lol do u know anything at all about boxing? no boxers press or do weights, it slows down the boxer, and takes out the explosive punchining power.
serisley (sp) if you havent a clue about it, dont chat shit

Just because a lot don't, doesn't mean they shouldn't, this guy obviously knows his stuff( see link or below)

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/hale7.htm

Recently athletes from all sports have begun to realize the importance of weight training. Athletes in all sports have the potential to enhance performance by supplementing their programs with weight training. So, why have boxers been reluctant to realize the importance of resistance training? Maybe it's because they will get too big, and slow or lose all of their flexibility. Let me share a few secrets with you. Functional muscle will make you faster.

Every movement you make is the result of a muscular contraction. Increasing the size of the functional unit of muscle tissue (myofibril hypertrophy) will result in faster more powerful movements. As far as getting big is concerned; this is not a simple task. People that become large from weight training put a great deal of effort in attaining maximum muscle mass. This requires large amounts of food and proper training and does not happen by accident. If getting big was as simple as just lifting weights everyone who spent endless hours in the gym would look like bodybuilders. On top of the dedication and hard work proper genetics must also be present to display high levels of muscularity and mass.

The proper training program for boxers emphasizes neural training and myofibril hypertrophy. This does not cause significant gains in muscle mass. (Boxers are not bodybuilders; therefore they should not train like bodybuilders). Weight training that involves full range movements has been shown to increase flexibility. Yes , there are people who weight train that are inflexible, but there are also people who have never seen a weight that are inflexible. Incorporate a proper stretching program with your weight training and your flexibility will probably increase. Boxers, don't get to carried away with being flexible. Boxing does not require a great deal of flexibility. Boxing does require adequate flexibility. Excessive flexibility is detrimental to force production (we will discuss this further in Part 2 of the article).

High reps and light weights are the chosen weight training method for most boxers. This is the complete opposite of what the weight training regimen should look like. High reps and light weight do little to improve absolute strength and speed-strength (we will discuss these motor qualities in detail in a moment). This too often used method of weight training is a form of muscular endurance training. Done on occasion this regimen would be fine.

When you hit heavy bags, run, jump rope, etc. you are performing muscular endurance work. When you step in the weight room it's time to switch modes. Boxing is a sport that requires the development of multiple motor qualities. Speed, strength, and endurance are all motor qualities that must be developed in boxers.

As we said earlier traditional boxing training develops muscular endurance, as well as coordination, and skill. The goal in the weight room is to increase absolute strength through the use of heavy weights, and to increase speed-strength by moving moderate weights at rapid speeds. The top priority in training to increase absolute strength, and speed-strength is the stimulation of fast-twitch muscle fibers. This is done through the methods we discussed earlier. Keep in mind high rep, light weight work does not recruit fast twitch fibers. This type of training recruits slow twitch fibers.

Force Production By Muscles

1) IntraMuscular Coordination.

Motor unit recruitment. All muscle fibers are grouped together as motor units. A motor unit is a nerve and all the muscle fibers innervated by the nerve. All the muscle fibers in a motor unit are the same type. If the fibers are slow twitch in a motor unit the unit is considered a low threshold unit. This unit requires light tension for recruitment. When the fibers are fast within the unit it is considered a high threshold unit. Heavy tension is required for the recruitment of high threshold Mu's. When a motor unit is sufficiently activated the entire pool of fibers contract. If the message from the nerve is too weak nothing happens. This is called the all or none principle. Increasing the number of units recruited greatly increases strength. Beginners usually have little success in recruiting numerous motor units. Advanced athletes have the capabilities of recruiting multiple Mu's, which increases force production.

2) Intramuscular Coordination.

Rate coding. The firing rate of motor units usually increases with training. This is called rate coding. When a muscle fiber is stimulated it twitches. With increasing nervous system stimulation the twitches begin to overlap. When this happens rate coding is in action, which causes increased force production. When intensity levels are between 50-80% of 1RM increased motor unit recruitment is the main contributor to strength increase. When the intensity level reaches between 80-100% of 1RM in a given movement, the main contributor to increasing force production is the increased firing rate of motor units. Calculater your 1RM, click here!

3) Intermuscular Coordination.

This refers to the bodies ability to maximize the synergist effects that varying muscles display in order to perform a movement.

Absolute Strength

The maximum amount of muscoskeletal force that can be generated for one effort (1 RM). According to Tudor Bompa (Romanian strength coach) no visible increase in power takes place without a substantial gain in absolute strength. Absolute strength forms the foundation for increasing speed-strength.

Speed Strength

Strength divided by time, or force x distance divided by time . In Charles Staley's book The Science of Martial Arts Training he lists 3 parts to speed-strength .

1) Starting Strength. The ability to turn on as many muscle fibers as possible at the beginning of a movement. (Examples: coming off the line in sprinting, the javelin throw , throwing a quick knockout punch).

2) Explosive Strength. The ability to leave on the muscle fibers once they are stimulated . Referred to as rate of force development (examples: 100m sprint, shot-put ).

3) Reactive Strength Or Reversible Strength. Refers to the bodies ability to store potential kinetic energy in the eccentric phase, and convert it to actual kinetic energy in the concentric phase. (Example: bending down at the knees and immediately jumping upwards , powermetric drills).

When developing programs for boxers, keep in mind each person is their own individual. Many strength coaches fail to appreciate this. The same program will not be appropriate for every boxer. The law of individuality should be recognized to maximize training results. Apply the priority principle (giving special attention to weak areas) when designing programs. In the second part of this article we will look at programs my boxers are currently using. Part 2 will be published next week .
smack

8th Mar 08 at 10:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im not reading all that, its from a body building bloke who proberbly knows nothing but textbooks.
boxers avoid weightilfting - it makes them heavyer,slower,you burn out a hell of a lot quiker,become stiffer,limits your movement just some of the reasons.
i really couldent care less what a bodybuilder has to say on the matter
Carl

8th Mar 08 at 10:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
im not reading all that, its from a body building bloke who proberbly knows nothing but textbooks.
boxers avoid weightilfting - it makes them heavyer,slower,you burn out a hell of a lot quiker,become stiffer,limits your movement just some of the reasons.
i really couldent care less what a bodybuilder has to say on the matter

So you are rejecting science totally. Here is a different source, in regards to MYTHS, Nobody is saying they pump massive amounts of iron, just that there are benefits to introducing some weight training into their training program. If you are a proffesional you take every step to optimise training surely.

Different source;

Myth 1: Weight training decreases flexibility.

It has been assumed that weight training results in athletes being "muscle bound" and less flexible. However, muscle hypertrophy (enlargement) does not compromise the ability of muscle fiber to stretch . Hypertrophy is independent of flexibility, and large muscles are physiologically as flexible as small muscles.

While most boxing coaches are concerned about decreased flexibility and limited range of motion (ROM), it is highly unlikely that boxers will achieve muscle hypertrophy to the point of altering the pennation angle and decreasing the ROM. Weight training exercises done with proper form, through full ROM, do not decrease flexibility.

Myth 2: Weight training leads to weight gain.

Weight training can affect overall weight, but more important, it has a desirable effect on body composition by decreasing fat and increasing muscle. Though muscle weighs more than fat, dietary changes can compensate for any small gain in weight.

In addition to the positive effect on body composition, the benefits of strength training and other methods of conditioning include substantial neural adaptations. These occur without any major increase in muscle fiber size and most likely do not result in weight gain.

Myth 3: Weight training slows you down.

Since boxers desire speed, they often avoid weight training, unaware of the research showing that such training improves the speed of the boxing punch Studies have shown increased velocity of punches following a 6-month period of weight training exercise. The results of these studies suggest that appropriate training increase the speed boxing punch.

Myth 4: If boxers weight train, they should train with low loads, high reps, and short rest intervals.

This myth stems from the belief that strength training with high loads and few repetitions will make you muscle bound, you'll gain weight, and that boxing is an aerobic sport requiring short rest intervals. Actually, boxers should train with high loads and low repetitions.

High load training promotes significant gains in strength and power due to its recruitment of Type 2-B muscle fiber and forceful contractions. Although the contraction is slower, it offers a better training stimulus due to the rate and frequency of neural activity firing). In addition, high load training does no compromise; it may enhance the athlete's local muscular endurance.

As for the myth about the short rest intervals, a work-to-rest ration of 1:1 stresses the aerobic energy system. So, 30 to 60 seconds rest with 8 to 12 reps represents approximately a 1:1 work to rest ratio. For athletes interested in hypertrophy, local muscular endurance, and aerobic endurance, this type of training is useful.

Myth 5: Most of the power from the boxing punch comes from the chest and arms.

The most visible aspect of boxing is the punch. Its mechanism of action includes the obvious movements of the upper extremity as well as the not so obvious movements of the trunk and lower extremity. In fact, these less obvious movements of the trunk and lower extremity as well as the not so obvious movements contribute greatly to power production in the boxing punch.
smack

8th Mar 08 at 11:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

myths or no myths, look at jeff lacy, he can barley move, hence why he got outboxed 12 rounds when he fighted calzaghe, i wasent trying to say they dont lift weights full stop.
its just that bodybuilders/weight trainers couldent be more far apart from boxing training.
so as far as the diets as posted in original question is gonna be 2 complete differnt answers.
A1EX

8th Mar 08 at 14:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont pretend to know much about boxers training routines etc but im pretty sure they would do weights?? Obviously not big heavy low reps etc but high rep low weight? Explosive power comes from certain types of weight training and i do know this from training quite a lot in muay thai which also involves boxing
bigdan

8th Mar 08 at 14:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

look at mayweather compared to hatton

mayweather has to do weights or he would be hattons size
smack

8th Mar 08 at 14:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that makes no sense at all?
you can build up musels from bag work easyly, plus all the circuit training you do
bigdan

8th Mar 08 at 18:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
that makes no sense at all?
you can build up musels from bag work easyly, plus all the circuit training you do

ok then sorry i retract my statement
mithdons

8th Mar 08 at 22:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What do you wangt to achieve physically? Diets adn training and rest are the 3 majors
Wrighty

9th Mar 08 at 14:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im doing a bit of boxing and a bit of weight training, trying to build myself up a for sparring with my cousin, but i need to get the diet right

wanting to know what you eat on a day to day basis thats high protein/good for you.
Wrighty

9th Mar 08 at 14:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mithdons
What do you wangt to achieve physically? Diets adn training and rest are the 3 majors

the 3 majors?
smack

9th Mar 08 at 15:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do you actully go to a boxing club? if so just ask your trainer what you want to be doing
Wrighty

9th Mar 08 at 16:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont thats why im asking around here as there seems to be a few that know a bit...thats all

just starting out at the min...
smack

9th Mar 08 at 16:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

best bet is just to get donw ur local club mate, you wont learn no real boxing just sparing with a mate.
eating a load of fish/tuna is what i do along with a load of pasta. just generally eating healthy food, and only drinking water is the best thing to do if ur boxing.
if you did want to bulk up a load, u should look at protine shakes etc befor workouts but i dont really know much about that sort of stuff.
corsa_godfather

9th Mar 08 at 23:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well here goes,

How much calories do you want to intake daily?

To bulk up you should be looking at 3000-4000 calories and consume at least 1g of protein for every pound of body weight.

example.i weigh 180 pounds so i aim for at least 180 grams of protein daily.

Split your meals into 6 small ones per day

breakfast
mid morning
lunch
mid afternoon ( pre workout)
dinner
supper

Great protein food sources
CHICKEN,EGG,TURKEY,FISH,BEEF and DAIRY

example daily intake

breakfast- protein shake
scrambled eggs (6 eggs-3 whole eggs+3 egg whites)

mid morning- bowl of porridge
low fat cottage cheese on wholewheat crackers

lunch- turkey meat on wholemeal bread + salad

pre workout- protein shake + banana or apple

post workout-steak or chicken breasts with veg/salad

before bed-porrige or protein shake.

Thats just a rough guide mate.

I read mike tysons training regime,he only ever eat porridge oats,steak and pasta.

done 2000+ pressups sit ups etc every day.only weight he lifted was barbell and done shrugs with it,
Wrighty

10th Mar 08 at 18:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers mate

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Boxers/Weight trainers - Diet? 23 database queries in 0.0130432 seconds