corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Problem with powering head unit

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Problem with powering head unit
chriswatson196

User status: Offline
20th Mar 08 at 17:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hey I'm wondering if anyone can help me, I just fitted some new car stereo stuff the usual replacement head unit, front comps, 6x9s sub etc nothing to special but I have just one problem. The head unit sometimes works throughout the length of a journey, but for the most part it just turns itself on and off repeatedly and eventually just dies all together. Its particularly noticeable when I go over a bump or if i corner to hard. At first i thought it was dodgy wiring on the main wiring harness which would have been bad news but i buzzed it through with a multimeter and its all ok. the other day I noticed that the head unit would fire up when I turn the key to start the car (engage starter motor) but as soon as i let the key go so it just falls back into the ignition position with the engine running 90% of the time it just cuts out.

Also, If i put a little bit of pressure on the key but not as much as to engage the starter motor it works and stays on until i let go and it falls back. Anyone got an ideas? do i need to replace the whole ingition/ key assembly (and all the door locks aswell) or is their a quick fix, i.e. rewiring where the power to the head unit comes from. Any help would be much appreciated coz its driving me mad

cheers

Chris
fazza

20th Mar 08 at 17:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sounds like a loose earth somewhere mate
bigjim172000

20th Mar 08 at 17:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im not sure about vauxhalls on the locks but with fords you buy the locks in a kit form and build it to match the key. I would hope that vauxhall are the same.
chriswatson196

20th Mar 08 at 17:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its definately the key thing (don't know what its called!) must have a dodgy connection somewhere through years of wear just had the cover off no loose wires and having a fiddle with the wires doesnt have any effect, I can lodge the key so it works lol which isnt ideal, any ideas on where I can get a lock kit or simmilar?

cheers for the help so far
bigjim172000

20th Mar 08 at 18:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Vauxhall lol
Rybo

20th Mar 08 at 18:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

when you say it cuts out...is it after youve been driving for a while with the music wound up loud? (poss battery getting used quicker than its charging?)
or ...
you say when your going round a bend etc...if that was the case would that not point to a connection thats loose? you dont mention checking it with a multi meter when driving...maybe you could get a mate to sit in with it touching the + and give it a spell of cornering/bumps to see? the other option is get e wire from the + on your battery (a fixed connection) and conect a 10amp fuse in line with two female spade crimps nipped up onto it and connect that to you yellow and red on your head unit...if it stops cutting out when you do this chances are youve a loose connection back in the dash.
the only reason i say these two options is if it was your ignition barrel your stereo live is fed on the ignition live with some parts of your dash (iirc)(rev-counter etc)
so you'd surely of noticed them not working or playing up?
this may be useless reading to you but im afraid without seeing it i could really help any more bud
Rybo

20th Mar 08 at 18:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

also when you say it pops up when you turn the key half way...id be checking my permanent live(by hooking it up how i said you'd have to turn the head unit on and off manually as you'd have removed the switched ignition live)
chriswatson196

20th Mar 08 at 19:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It always turns on briefly when I start the car and then shuts down after they key goes back to the position where electrics on and engine is running and if i wobble the key in the ignition it turns on and off. So im pretty sure its the barrel but what you say about the rev counter etc is wierd because they havent been messing around at all :s swapping out the ignition barrel and all the locks seems a bit ott
chriswatson196

20th Mar 08 at 19:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any thoughts on wiring directly like you said and putting in a switch so i can turn it off manually so I dont kill the battery when the car is left?
Rybo

20th Mar 08 at 19:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if i had got round to being a premium member i could of drawn you a wiring digram so you could do it...if you have time i could try scan one on for you and email it tomorrow pal using a relay...or you could just do what you just mentioned,as i said with the fuse in line then bang the wire through a switch as well,if you were local id tell you to pop round,it would be quicker than trying to solve it like this lol!
might be worth taking the steering plastics off and just inspect for loose wires on around the back of the barrel if your suspect still!

New Poll