corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Water damaged mobile?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Water damaged mobile?
antscorsa

User status: Offline
24th Mar 08 at 11:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dropped my phone last night into a deep puddle!
it completely cut out on me and now wont turn on.
dried it out over night but dont know ho long to leave it!

its a nokia 6500 slide!
if it turns out to be completey buggered can i start the opperators insurance policy then claim a week later?

[Edited on 24-03-2008 by antscorsa]
AlunJ

24th Mar 08 at 11:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how long have you left it? if you've left it to dry overnight on a radiator or something you should be fine to try it
Marc

24th Mar 08 at 11:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My brothers got wet and he dried it out, I think it died shortly afterwards
antscorsa

24th Mar 08 at 11:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tried it then, half the keys light up but nothing on the screen!
Dom

24th Mar 08 at 12:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

usually you leave it for a few days on a radiator or in a airing cupboard before switching it on, to make sure it's completly dry.
i wouldn't have tried it now as it could have shorted something if there is still moisture in the phone. I would personally take everything off it (battery, sim car, covers, memory) and stick it in the airing cupboard for a few days and see what happens.

As for insurance, i wouldn't bother, there pretty-wise to people taking it out for a few days before a claim. Only way would be to take it out and leave it a month or so before claiming.
antscorsa

24th Mar 08 at 12:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
usually you leave it for a few days on a radiator or in a airing cupboard before switching it on, to make sure it's completly dry.
i wouldn't have tried it now as it could have shorted something if there is still moisture in the phone. I would personally take everything off it (battery, sim car, covers, memory) and stick it in the airing cupboard for a few days and see what happens.

As for insurance, i wouldn't bother, there pretty-wise to people taking it out for a few days before a claim. Only way would be to take it out and leave it a month or so before claiming.

yea but surely they cant say no to a claim i mean thats whats the policy is there for? what happens if u did have your phone for a day and it got stolen? they jsut say no as it is suspicious
Dom

24th Mar 08 at 12:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by antscorsa
quote:
Originally posted by Dom

yea but surely they cant say no to a claim i mean thats whats the policy is there for? what happens if u did have your phone for a day and it got stolen? they jsut say no as it is suspicious

No true, but there will be T&C's all over the policy about taking the policy out for a few days and then making a claim. Personally i would look at claiming it on house insurance
antscorsa

24th Mar 08 at 12:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yea think ill have to go through house insurance!!
so bloody annoying tho!! probably wont have a mobile now for a good week or 2
Dom

24th Mar 08 at 12:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by antscorsa
yea think ill have to go through house insurance!!
so bloody annoying tho!! probably wont have a mobile now for a good week or 2

buy something cheap off ebay as a backup phone, doing this has saved me a few times
antscorsa

24th Mar 08 at 12:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yea going to have to!
just looked at orange T&Cs and it doesnt cover for anythign even if i did have insurance, what a waste of money that is
AlunJ

24th Mar 08 at 13:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you'll often find on phones there is actually a sticker that reacts with water changing the colour thus telling people that the phone is water damaged so might not help with your insurance claim.
M2RTY

24th Mar 08 at 13:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the best thing to do if you drop anything in a liquid is REMOVE THE BATTERY striaght away, and then I read that washing the phone with distilled water helps, then dry it out

phone + battery + water = dead
M2RTY

24th Mar 08 at 13:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I take out the battery, disassemble, and rinse with distilled water, or sometimes alcohol, but I think if you use that you have to be more careful about what you get it on.
With something like coffee, first aid is essential. Act fast, get the exterior clean and dry, power down, remove energy cell.
antscorsa

24th Mar 08 at 13:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its now charging and for soem mental reason it looks to be working!!
im doubtful of its life in the long run tho!

see how it goes, gna leave it to dry out for a another day or so
kz

24th Mar 08 at 14:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

done this with an old nokia. certain buttons kept coming and going for ages! after about three weeks everything was fine on it. weird
AlunJ

24th Mar 08 at 16:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i've actually fried a motorola v3 phone in a mcdonalds chip fryer... surprisingly after a good bath in water and a hair dryer it worked.... just was impossible to get rid of the grease and there was oil trapped in the screens

New Poll