corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Testing My Dissertation Site

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Testing My Dissertation Site
Doug

User status: Offline
4th Apr 08 at 20:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right my dissertation site is finished (bar some tweaking).

The site is a Online Car Profile site (like myspace but for cars...)

Now I need some data to populate it If you have a spare few minuets I would greatly appreciate you taking the time to visit:

http://mycarprofile.890m.com/index.php

And signing up to the forums, then posting the details requested in the profile up load section. Means I can start getting some cars into the database.

Also feel free to start posting in the forums, even if its just a copy of a thread you have posted on here. But keep it clean and on topic please as this is a university project!

Also if you would be so kind as to leave some comments and constructive criticism that would be helpful aswell. Just bear in mind that the site isn't 100% finished yet and I do have tweaking to do on it.

LeahWGA

4th Apr 08 at 21:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there ya go
Doug

4th Apr 08 at 21:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thank you.

Image's are not displaying for some reason so will sort that now.

Thanks for taking the time!
Doug

4th Apr 08 at 22:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Images working now
Welsh Dan

5th Apr 08 at 09:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

One issue with the site, is that I don't appear to be able to browse peoples profiles, unless I know their name? Would it be better to be able to just browse profiles, or search for particular cars?
Doug

5th Apr 08 at 11:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im going to put that in over the next few days I think. Your not the first person to mention that.

More stuff to write about in the write up I guess
Brett
Premium Member

5th Apr 08 at 12:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Where the hell's this upload bit? All i've done is registered on the forum. Wasn't very apparant what to do after.
Paul_J

5th Apr 08 at 12:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you need a 'browse' cars... option

you have a search, but i have no idea who has a car on there... so how do i just have a little browse through some of the cars?
liamC

5th Apr 08 at 12:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Doug - I did something similar to what you're doing for my project last year and would like to give you a bit of help.

With your project at the minute, try and get as many features as possible that you can show in your oral presentation. They like to see lots of different things, and although the oral is only a small percentage, it could be the difference between a 2:2 and 2:1, or whatever.

Your contact page looks a bit blank. A suggestion to what you have on there at the minute, would be to put a contact form on, then a drop down box for the people to send to different departments (Technical Team, General Enquiries etc)

Also, try and identify bad things in your site which the examiners may ask you and try and have a response ready. They dont interrogate you, but it's best to be able to give justified reasons rather than "Well I dont know why I didnt think of that" or whatever.

EG: If I were an examiner for that site, I would be asking a few different things, such as:

"where does a new person sign up?" (Maybe worth putting that link on seeing as thats the main purpose of the site?)
"can a user edit their vehicle details if they get a new car etc? (IE: Login and have their own panel?)" (If not, it may be worth putting a CMS in?)
"why didnt you add more search facilities [such as search by vehicle, username, location etc)" (A response of 'it is only a small site, therefore as it got bigger you would add more options' would be a start, or something else you could think of.

Also, as you are probably aware, accessibility is a big part of the WWW now. Your homepage almost checks out as being XHTML Transitional on http://validator.w3.org/ - try and remove the one error that you have, and you can speak about how you have developed the site to meet current standards set by the W3C. If you havent handed your dissertation in, write about that in there as well
Doug

5th Apr 08 at 13:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

LiamC Thank you very much your input!!

The reason the home page didn't validate was beacuse I used a break tag that had capital BR rather than lower case. The site not validates fine. I had forgotten about validation so thats a very helpful pointer.

I will make a page on the site about how to get a profile with a full tutorial on how to do it. I was originally going to have the site linked with the forum sharing the same user database but I ran into some problems that I couldn't over come. Hence why I am doing it this way, its not ideal in my mind but its something I could change if I were to improve the site.

I will get the new search and tutorial page sorted now.

Really appreciate the help here!
Doug

5th Apr 08 at 14:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by loafofbrett
Where the hell's this upload bit? All i've done is registered on the forum. Wasn't very apparant what to do after.

http://mycarprofile.890m.com/tutorial.php

hopefully that makes it clearer

Doug

5th Apr 08 at 18:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right some changes have been made....

-There is now a 'View All' Feature on the search page

- Both the home page and the CSS verify
liamC

5th Apr 08 at 19:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Doug
quote:
Originally posted by loafofbrett

http://mycarprofile.890m.com/tutorial.php

hopefully that makes it clearer

Not sure how much time you have, but why dont you create a page for people to insert their car, with the appropriate fields, (Make, Model, BHP etc) then have an image upload function to upload an image to the database also.

It makes much more sense than the forum thing.

quote:
Originally posted by Doug
Right some changes have been made....

-There is now a 'View All' Feature on the search page

- Both the home page and the CSS verify

Also, if I were you, I'd change this wording:

quote:
Or if you dont know the name of the cars owner that you want to search through then why not just view all the profiles by clicking HERE

to something along the lines of the following, because at the end of the day, someone may visit your site (us for example) who dont know any car owners who are already registered on the site):

quote:
View all of our users' vehicles

[Edited on 05-04-2008 by liamC]
liamC

5th Apr 08 at 19:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just read your reply back about not getting the car registration thing to work properly... nothing wrong with that, and dont be afraid to tell them that in the oral, as well as dissertation.

Talk about why you choose PHP/mySQL over other web languages like ASP, Java (Open source, easier to use, etc)
Doug

5th Apr 08 at 19:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have changed the text on the search page, yours sounds alot better!

Im just unsure about the order of the write up. What should go where etc. Will have to get some advice from tutor on monday I think
Doug

6th Apr 08 at 17:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seeing as its been posted on corsasport I have only had one corsa submitted

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Testing My Dissertation Site 22 database queries in 0.0131400 seconds