corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » FAO runners

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author FAO runners
Nath

User status: Offline
15th Apr 08 at 21:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm entering a half marathon in July and was wondering what kind of preperation I should undertake in order to be ready for it?

I'm reasonably fit as I exercise quite a bit through football, but I'm not a member of a gym and don't really go on any runs.

I'm planning on buying some decent running trainers and running either first thing in the morning before work or after work in the evenings.

I'm just curious as to what kind of distances to start with.

My aim is to run the London Marathon in 2010.
smack

15th Apr 08 at 21:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeh sort out some proper shoes first thing
running at the gym isent really all that good , due to terrains etc
i run 3/4 times a week - 2-6 miles each time depending on how fit im feeling.
dont worry about running first thing in morn, best time is just after work or gym in the evening.
aim to start running a few miles and slowly build up is ur best bet
Nath

15th Apr 08 at 21:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah thats my thinking about Gyms. It's not 'real' running. We have a decent running shop in MK and they assess your feet and all sorts!
Marc

15th Apr 08 at 21:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Go running 3 times a week. See how far you can go first then work out a distance based on that.

I find Nike and New Balance the comfiest
smack

15th Apr 08 at 21:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeh if u are planning on running alot, and espically in marathons, go to a proper running shop, were they do asses ur feet , xray etc , cuz you need some good running shoes
Danny P

16th Apr 08 at 20:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ask the Leeds fans

Plenty of them were running out the ground last night
richardworrall
Premium Member

16th Apr 08 at 21:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im doing a 10k on sunday then also a half marathon in July. Get some good running shoes, they make a big difference.

Which one ya doin?

[Edited on 16-04-2008 by richardworrall]
Nath

17th Apr 08 at 11:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

NSPCC Milton Keynes Half on July 20th

Dom

20th Apr 08 at 20:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sweatshop in MK is top notch (it's probably the place you were thinking), it's where i got my shoes from, advice seems to be pretty sound too
Carl

20th Apr 08 at 21:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my advice would be to try and find someone to run with, or even join some other runners, I find it so hard to keep going on my own, when you are with someone else you can't just stop.

also you don't need to spend shit loads on latest trainers, however you need the right trainers for you, see if you can get accessed, find what you need, then go to places like jjb and sportsworld, i bought some running trainers from jjb last week, 30 quid, they had quite a few new balance in, some were from 70odd quid down to 35, weren't the right sort for me though.
richardworrall
Premium Member

21st Apr 08 at 06:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

def try and run with others, it helps you pace and also push yourself to your limits. Out on my own im crap but did the Derby 10k yesterday and beat my PB by ten mins, did 56mins 20 secs. - Well chuffed, although my legs dont feel like they belong to me today.

[Edited on 21-04-2008 by richardworrall]
Nath

21st Apr 08 at 10:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
Sweatshop in MK is top notch (it's probably the place you were thinking), it's where i got my shoes from, advice seems to be pretty sound too

Thats the one Dom

quote:
Originally posted by Carl
my advice would be to try and find someone to run with, or even join some other runners, I find it so hard to keep going on my own, when you are with someone else you can't just stop.

also you don't need to spend shit loads on latest trainers, however you need the right trainers for you, see if you can get accessed, find what you need, then go to places like jjb and sportsworld, i bought some running trainers from jjb last week, 30 quid, they had quite a few new balance in, some were from 70odd quid down to 35, weren't the right sort for me though.

I have a couple of mates who regularly go running, but they are more experenced then me, so I'm not sure if they'd let me tag along. I'll ask anyway.

I'll check JJB out too, cheers for the heads up.
Nath

21st Apr 08 at 10:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by richardworrall
def try and run with others, it helps you pace and also push yourself to your limits. Out on my own im crap but did the Derby 10k yesterday and beat my PB by ten mins, did 56mins 20 secs. - Well chuffed, although my legs dont feel like they belong to me today.

[Edited on 21-04-2008 by richardworrall]

I can imagine they don't. Nice one!
corsa5dr

21st Apr 08 at 17:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did the Bristol Half in Sept 07. I started training in May, ran once a week at weekends, gradually increasing distance every week. I got a 1hr 59mins.
Russ

21st Apr 08 at 17:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

practice running 13 miles mate
Nath

22nd Apr 08 at 11:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Russ

And struggle for the remaining .1 miles?

Russ

22nd Apr 08 at 11:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nath
quote:
Originally posted by Russ

And struggle for the remaining .1 miles?

drive the rest
Kyle T
Premium Member

24th Apr 08 at 14:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

[Thread Hijack]

I woke up last saturday and thought I was either a) dead b) dying or c) dreaming about dying.

I couldn't breath properly or sit up for about 25minutes, so I decided to stop binge drinking at home on my own, and try to get a bit fit.

Someone I work with runs 3-6miles (depending on how much time he's got, weather, etc etc) a couple of nights a week, and he offered to go for a run with me on Sunday - so I pottered round the nike running online shop and found some trainers I liked the look of, then went into town and bought some.

The following morning we went out, he'd mapped out a 1.3 mile route where we could do laps of if neccesary.

Needless to say after a single lap I was coughing up blood and being sick in my own mouth so we stopped and I spent the afternoon completely and utterly fucked - but felt really really good later that evening.

All week since I've been hobbling around work - I really am that unfit but I'm really looking forward to running again on sunday.

I'll keep doing my 1.3 mile circuit once a week until my lungs get used to it and then up the distance constantly pushing, hopefully going on to run twice a week.

I doubt i'll ever consider any kind of half marathon but I'd love to be able to run 6 or so miles without feeling like death - and i've got 0 energy at work atm so hopefully getting a bit fitter will help me there too.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
RyanSxi

24th Apr 08 at 14:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have been running and playing football most days of the week for a while. But last week I was ill so didnt excercise at all for 8 days. Then on the sunday played sunday league in the morning and had a kick about with mates for 2 hours later on.

Now I know how people feel when they first do a run like the above. My muscles would hardly move and hurt like hell

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » FAO runners 24 database queries in 0.0177689 seconds