corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Corsa C gear linkeage knackered [UPDATE - PLEASE READ!]

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Corsa C gear linkeage knackered [UPDATE - PLEASE READ!]
br0k3n

User status: Offline
13th May 08 at 11:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Car is a Corsa C 1.0L 12v on a '53 plate with 49k on the clock.

It started out by not going into 2nd smoothly. Then reverse went and I had to grip the stick with my RIGHT hand and push it very firmly to the left and then up for it to get into reverse.

Then 2nd went again and I could only get into 2nd if I put into into neural and wiggled it (the gearstick) first, else it went into 4th.

Then the N/S ball joint on the pivoting thing on the linkeage started to pop out if I got too rough with it.

Then I drove four hours from Cardiff to Rhyl without a 2nd gear because it refused to go in at all, else it popped out (again). That was fun!

And today I had to abandon the car and jump on a train en route to my exam at 9:30 this morning because it won't go into 1st.

Gears 3-5 are fine, so it's only the gears on the left. If I pop it into neutral and wiggle it it doesn't go all the way to the left, which I guess is the problem.

The RAC man who came the first time it popped out told me I just needed to get the knuckles/ball joints changed.

I phoned dealers and it sounds like it's a common problem - as soon as I mentioned the word "linkeage" they said: "not going into gear? That's 180 quid please."

Anybody else had the same problem?

[Edited on 15-05-2008 by br0k3n]
Joe

13th May 08 at 11:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The part is about £40, yeah its common on the Corsa C's. If you go to a private garage its about £40 + half an hours time + VAT.
br0k3n

13th May 08 at 12:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Joe
The part is about £40, yeah its common on the Corsa C's. If you go to a private garage its about £40 + half an hours time + VAT.

I'm handy with a spanner so I'll do it myself. They told me the replacement selector would be metal rather than plastic, but looking at the pics on eBay and spares websites. they appear to still be mainly plastic...

Are the newer ones much cop or are they destined to go again in less than 50k miles?
B3KAN

13th May 08 at 12:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive done a few now common fault between 30-40k the new linkage is metal rather than plastic vaux do charge silly amounts for them

It was a design fault in them and wasnt chages untill 2004 and modifyed to a metal one

As for fitting its so easy if your good with cars youl have it done in less than an hour

And heres a link for the part you need at a very good price, its brand new and a gm part

CLICK

Order now and youl get it tomorow

[Edited on 13-05-2008 by B3KAN]
br0k3n

15th May 08 at 14:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hello!

B3KAN - I took your advice and ordered that one from eBay and fitted it today.

All went well apart from removing that plastic clippy thing which holds the pivoting part down. Grrr!

Anyway - I need to know how to align or reset the linkage.

I took the advice of another forum and did the following:

- Loosen/remove the bolt securing the selector rod to the linkage
- Push the selector pin all the way in to the selector box
- Remove the boot from the gearstick, push it to the left and put a 4-5mm something in the hole to hold it in position
- Make sure the plunger/selector pin is still in and tighten the Torx bolt up

The problem is that it's not quite finding neutral now. Before I tried this and straight after the replacement, all gears worked but there was a very short throw for neutral (probably about an inch tops) and it was still awkward to get it into reverse.

Hence I think the 1st/2nd "position" is off.

How can I adjust this?! People on forums keep talking about a yellow button but I can't seem to find one. Is this for older cars?
Superlite Ltd.

15th May 08 at 14:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sell fooking loads of these
Minty_Fresh

15th May 08 at 14:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is it common for a 1.0 12v corsa b to do it?

as mine seems to have the same problem but not as bad...
B3KAN

15th May 08 at 15:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mk4_boy
is it common for a 1.0 12v corsa b to do it?

as mine seems to have the same problem but not as bad...

It was a corsa C fault
B3KAN

15th May 08 at 15:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by br0k3n
Hello!

B3KAN - I took your advice and ordered that one from eBay and fitted it today.

All went well apart from removing that plastic clippy thing which holds the pivoting part down. Grrr!

Anyway - I need to know how to align or reset the linkage.

I took the advice of another forum and did the following:

- Push the selector pin all the way in to the selector box - Remove the boot from the gearstick, push it to the left and put a 4-5mm something in the hole to hold it in position

The problem is that it's not quite finding neutral now. Before I tried this and straight after the replacement, all gears worked but there was a very short throw for neutral (probably about an inch tops) and it was still awkward to get it into reverse.

Hence I think the 1st/2nd "position" is off.

How can I adjust this?! People on forums keep talking about a yellow button but I can't seem to find one. Is this for older cars?

Yea that plastic bit is a pain lol just have to be carful

As for setting the linkage

- Push the selector pin all the way in to the selector box (thats the yellow button)

- Remove the boot from the gearstick, push it to the left and put a 4-5mm something in the hole to hold it in position

There is a yellow pin/button type thing on the front off the gearbox which has a spring in it you will spot it lol you need to turn the selector rod on the gearbox 1 way i cant mind which and push that button in and you will feel it lock then make sure the lever is held in the correct place inside the car and then tighten the bolt on the selctor rod and thats it

[Edited on 15-05-2008 by B3KAN]
br0k3n

15th May 08 at 15:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

B3KAN -

This is peeing me off now.

I just did this twice:

- Loosened the bolt securing the selector rod to the linkage
- Locked the gearstick
- Rotated the selector pin clockwise
- Pushed in the spring-loaded pin
- Tightened the bolt, making sure the pin was still pressed in

But I still have loads of problems.

- Gearstick in neutral is angled slightly down (about 5 degrees or so)
- Also it's still angled slightly to the right
- Difficult to get into reverse
- Goes into 4th when going from 3rd to 2nd, unless I'm very precise with it
- It's very clunky, or is this normal?

Things to note:

- Is the bolt you loosen the one which clamps the rod - which goes under the firewall to the gearstick - to the linkage I just replaced?
- The yellow button clicks into place but it's only about halfway in

Any thoughts?
br0k3n

15th May 08 at 15:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I fixed it now!

I was turning the selector pin the wrong way, duh.

You need to turn it anticlockwise. It doesn't turn very much (compared to the amount of travel if you turn it clockwise) and the pin only presses in a touch, but it seemed to do the trick.

Thanks B3KAN and co.
B3KAN

15th May 08 at 16:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Glad you got it all sorted mate

New Poll