corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » choice between cameras

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author choice between cameras
Matt L

User status: Offline
25th Jul 08 at 09:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right i have bin reading up alot on the sony a200 recently but missus claims that sony wont be any good, she says nikon and cannon are the way to go which i know alot of people will agree with but sony according to digital camera magazine reviews the sony is just as good and has some extra features but a bit heavier, so its now between these 2 deals.

nikon d40 (only 6mp)

or

sony a200 (10mp)

if i got the a200 i would also be buying the song 50-300mm lenses aswell... would still be cheaper in total than the d40.

d60 is out of my range as id be paying similar to the d40 package and only getting a camera
Rob E

25th Jul 08 at 10:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was reading a review between cannons 450d and Sonys latest offering and the sony actually scored higher! I cant rember if its the a200 though lol
Matt L

25th Jul 08 at 10:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

a200 isnt new its one thats slowly disappearing been replaced by the a350.
Doug

25th Jul 08 at 10:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I managed to get the D60 with a bag and the VR lens for £320 which wasnt too bad.

The thing to remember is that your buying a system not just a camera. Lenses for sonys will be rare and more expensive than the Nikons
AndyKent

25th Jul 08 at 12:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whats you're total budget then?

Still thinking of selling my Canon 400D with kit lens and 55-250 lens for £450 ATM.
Matt L

25th Jul 08 at 12:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tbh mum and dad are getting it me for my birthday but ideally i want new incase it breaks etc.
AndyKent

25th Jul 08 at 12:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well mine is only 3 months old, only 5000 shutter clicks and like new with warrantee.

But if someone is buying, thats fair enough
Butler

25th Jul 08 at 12:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

a200 easy, 350 isnt a replacement just a higher end camera and its not been discontinued as far as I know??
Matt L

25th Jul 08 at 12:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Butler
a200 easy, 350 isnt a replacement just a higher end camera and its not been discontinued as far as I know??

ah right i just assumed the 350 replaced it and with the a200 getting cheaper and harder to get in certain shops (currys mainly ) thought it was being discontinued.

also why do you say a200?

[Edited on 25-07-2008 by Matt L]
Butler

25th Jul 08 at 14:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its great value for money. 10mp as opposed to 6 on the d40. Dont think the D40 has liveview, the A200 has a liveview LCD which is manouverable for taking shots in high and low angles. Also has built in image stabilisation in the body, meaning any lens you buy will be optically stabilised where as with the Nikon you will pay extra on new lenses to get them with a stabiliser. Minolta lenses are quite cheap on ebay, they will fit the Sony SLRs. Pretty sure its not been discontinued, were still getting them in, only got them in store about 2 months ago. Il check on the system tomorrow though. Even so its a great camera for that money.
Butler

25th Jul 08 at 14:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

By the way, if your adamant you want a nikon, have a look for the d40x. Was a limited edition with 10mp iirc.
Matt L

25th Jul 08 at 14:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Its great value for money. 10mp as opposed to 6 on the d40. Dont think the D40 has liveview, the A200 has a liveview LCD which is manouverable for taking shots in high and low angles. Also has built in image stabilisation in the body, meaning any lens you buy will be optically stabilised where as with the Nikon you will pay extra on new lenses to get them with a stabiliser. Minolta lenses are quite cheap on ebay, they will fit the Sony SLRs. Pretty sure its not been discontinued, were still getting them in, only got them in store about 2 months ago. Il check on the system tomorrow though. Even so its a great camera for that money.

a200 doesnt have those 2 things thats the a350 that has them

im probably going to get the a200 as ill get more for my money and more pixels
Matt H

25th Jul 08 at 14:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Samsung GX10 ftw
Scotty_B

25th Jul 08 at 14:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Matt L

More pixels means nothing unless you crop aggressively or print massively.

[Edited on 25-07-2008 by CorSRi_BT]
JonnyJ

25th Jul 08 at 15:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CorSRi_BT
quote:
Originally posted by Matt L

More pixels means nothing unless you crop aggressively or print massively.

Spot on, i love all these point and shoot cam ads that go "Wow, 1 billion megapixels!!11one!!" Means nothing unless of course you fancy printing a billboard? Anything around 6mp is fine for what most people use them for.

I'd go with the Nikon tbh.
Butler

25th Jul 08 at 15:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

6 megapixels isnt much though, like what, a4? If your taking pics as a hobby your going to want big pictures at some point. I was sure the a200 had liveview. Maybe getting it confused then. I wouldnt get D40 based on the fact that you will want to print your pics bigger at some point, and come that time you wont have a choice but to buy a new camera.
JonnyJ

25th Jul 08 at 15:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My D70s was 6.1 and that printed onto A3 fine?
John

25th Jul 08 at 15:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When talking about slr's i'd rather have more than 6mp tbh.

I know on point and shoots with tiny sensors its a different matter but 6mp just doesn't cut it now on an slr.
Scotty_B

25th Jul 08 at 15:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
6 megapixels isnt much though, like what, a4? If your taking pics as a hobby your going to want big pictures at some point. I was sure the a200 had liveview. Maybe getting it confused then. I wouldnt get D40 based on the fact that you will want to print your pics bigger at some point, and come that time you wont have a choice but to buy a new camera.

What Bull. I have printed A2 prints with ease using my 6mp D40 and unless you look at them from 1" away the quality is superb.

Camera companies prey on the people that are starting out claiming more MP is better, it's a myth. It has a lot to do with the lens quality aswell.
JonnyJ

25th Jul 08 at 15:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
When talking about slr's i'd rather have more than 6mp tbh.

I know on point and shoots with tiny sensors its a different matter but 6mp just doesn't cut it now on an slr.

My D70 seemed to cut it just fine? Plenty of detail in the shots, good enough for magazines etc?
Butler

25th Jul 08 at 15:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im not sure exactly how big 6mp will go. Just know the Sony will go bigger. I mean you would be happy with the Nikon. Just youll be stumped if ever you wanted to print a picture for a poster for example, or on a large canvas. The other advantage of the sonys of course is the image stabiliser which will save you money when you come to buy more lenses.
John

25th Jul 08 at 15:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not saying it didn't take good pictures, i'd rather have as much detail as I possibly could though and in a dslr there is plenty of room on the sensor for more pixels without reducing image quality.

[Edited on 25-07-2008 by John]
Butler

25th Jul 08 at 15:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can print a 6mp picture as big as you like, but as you say the bigger you go the more you will lose out on resolution. Its just something to bare in mind and one factor that personally I would take into account.
gianluigi

26th Jul 08 at 16:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

get the sony, its great for the price and is better than a D40. the D40, D40x and D60 should be avoided at all costs

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » choice between cameras 23 database queries in 0.0812972 seconds