corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Shinpads, which do you use?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Shinpads, which do you use?
RyanSxi

User status: Offline
13th Aug 08 at 10:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Let's talk shinpads

Not specifically the brand (feel free to add your brand and pics mind im not fussy ) im thinking more the style. I currently use the type which have the ankle support. These are good as they offer more protection especially on a sunday morning. But, they seem to affect my play and really get in the way of my play. Really starting to annoy me so considering cutting them off.

What pads do you use?

[Edited on 13-08-2008 by RyanSxi]
J da Silva

13th Aug 08 at 10:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nike protega 2, the ankle support is velcro attatched to the shinpad so you can choose to get rid of it if you wish.
RyanSxi

13th Aug 08 at 10:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seems my old ones are the Nike Protegga Shields but the supports doesnt come off (unless I get the scissors to them )

Do you use them mate or prefer without?
C2RL R

13th Aug 08 at 10:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Puma V3 Slip ins
J da Silva

13th Aug 08 at 10:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by RyanSxi
Seems my old ones are the Nike Protegga Shields but the supports doesnt come off (unless I get the scissors to them )

I prefer to play with none, I train without them and play 5/6/7 aside with just the shinguard but weekend football is a bit dangerous without, especially sunday morning when defenders are still drunk from the night before and misstime a tackle.
RyanSxi

13th Aug 08 at 10:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by J da Silva
quote:
Originally posted by RyanSxi

I prefer to play with none, I train without them and play 5/6/7 aside with just the shinguard but weekend football is a bit dangerous without, especially sunday morning when defenders are still drunk from the night before and misstime a tackle.

Thats what im thinking. I really hate wearing pads altogether but obviously respect the fact that my shin will end up broken without them.

Would prefer to wear no ankle guards but as you say for sunday league it is dangerous. Can imagine me cutting the ankle guard off tonight then getting whacked on my ankle bone and regretting it
Cosmo

13th Aug 08 at 10:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Old school books
RyanSxi

13th Aug 08 at 10:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
Old school books

You seen the film "Goal!" might just use some cardboard from the bin like he did
Cosmo

13th Aug 08 at 10:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I use the ankle protection part of mine, always have since I was young so it doesnt effect me anymore and has saved me from getting kicked directly on my ankles a lot in the past.

[Edited on 13-08-2008 by Cosmo]
Danny P

13th Aug 08 at 11:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Nike protega 2, the ankle support is velcro attatched to the shinpad so you can choose to get rid of it if you wish.

Mine are like this (althought there not Nike, think there Umbro )

I normally wear both together when playing Sundays, although sometimes I wear the ankle part seperate so I can wear the Shin Guard bit further up my leg.
RyanSxi

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo

I use the ankle protection part of mine, always have since I was young so it doesnt effect me anymore and has saved me from getting kicked directly on my ankles a lot in the past.

[Edited on 13-08-2008 by Cosmo]

Yeh must admit I have been hit on the support bit once or twice and been glad I had used it. Just I feel I could play better without it

Gotta weight up that extra 10% / Getting my ankle snapped

Danny P

I feel naked without an ankle protection on
RyanSxi

13th Aug 08 at 11:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Danny P
quote:

Mine are like this (althought there not Nike, think there Umbro )

I normally wear both together when playing Sundays, although sometimes I wear the ankle part seperate so I can wear the Shin Guard bit further up my leg.

Might try this actually as it does seem to be the fact the shin pad is so low that it gets in the way
corsa - gus

13th Aug 08 at 11:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I always carry slip ins with me in the kit bag but prefer to wear ankle support as it can get a bit rough. If I'm playing 5's 6's and 7's I hardly ever wear shin pads, unless its a grudge match
J da Silva

13th Aug 08 at 11:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well I have broken my leg twice and dislocated my ankle, the first break was a pretty bad one and my tibia politely popped out for a quick chat, ever since I've been careful, it was more a mental struggle than anything else though.
Carl

13th Aug 08 at 11:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ones with ankle support, i too feel naked without!
As for playing in none, my shin is caining from a tackle i got caught with on Sunday, would have defo snapped it without any!
I used to wear mine for 5 a side too, but my mates laughed at me.
Marc

13th Aug 08 at 11:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nikes with ankle support. I always wear them, even for kick abouts.

Had a lot of ankle problems when I first started playing so always wear them. Even wear elasticated straps over my socks!
MarkM

13th Aug 08 at 11:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Some Puma King shin pads that I have had since I was about 14. They did have an attached ankle support but the day after I got them I cut it off. So they have always been slip ins.

I couldnt imagine ever playing football with those horrible uncomfortable ankle protection pads.

Only down side is I have suffered two pretty bad ankle injuries in my time...
MarkM

13th Aug 08 at 11:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh and elasicated bandages under my socks but over my shin pads to help keep them up...and tape 3/4 way down the outside of my sock to help keep them up.

[Edited on 13-08-2008 by MarkM]
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

13th Aug 08 at 16:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheapo £1 umbro ones

i'd rather not wear any though
Bram

13th Aug 08 at 16:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I always wear ankle support, feel that my boots fit a bit better too as I wear 2 pairs of socks also
Richie B

13th Aug 08 at 18:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Scabby old Umbro ones. Don't like ankle supports at all, but also really dislike shinpads.

Or could just use leaflets
MarkM

14th Aug 08 at 08:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bram
I always wear ankle support, feel that my boots fit a bit better too as I wear 2 pairs of socks also

Sounds the most uncomfortable thing ever...how do you feel the ball with two sets of socks on and ankle support shin pads...

My slip ins are cracked in about 3 places...they are thin but I prefer it that way. They give you lots of feeling and movement....

Biggest pointer is you never see professionals wearing ankle protector shin pads...they're all slip ins...

RyanSxi

14th Aug 08 at 09:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by MarkM
quote:
Originally posted by Bram

Sounds the most uncomfortable thing ever...how do you feel the ball with two sets of socks on and ankle support shin pads...

My slip ins are cracked in about 3 places...they are thin but I prefer it that way. They give you lots of feeling and movement....

Biggest pointer is you never see professionals wearing ankle protector shin pads...they're all slip ins...

On the same note tho, hard challenges arn't aloud in the prem so they don't have much need for ankle support. Sunday mornings is a different kettle of fish.

Anyways I wore the ankle support last night, and, go whacked in the back of my ankle within 1 minute lol. Nobody gave me a man on call so got smashed in the ankle note to self, need read ankle protection
BYRON

14th Aug 08 at 09:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

adidas junior slip ins. Steve Claridge style.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Shinpads, which do you use? 23 database queries in 0.0179460 seconds