corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » This sums up for me why you shouldnt enter stock hatch on a budget!

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author This sums up for me why you shouldnt enter stock hatch on a budget!
Butler

User status: Offline
25th Aug 08 at 23:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Of course ive considered it, but as they say it can be costly and the fields seem to be always so big these days being such a cheap and cost efective way into motorsport. Such a shame what happens here, unavoidable but costly. Id be very peed off if I were the driver! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN4oC6fMI2E
daymoon
Premium Member

25th Aug 08 at 23:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

doesnt look anything like pro racing at all.. maybe cos it isnt? lol.

anyway.. after being three times he wanted to go futher. respect for that!
RCS

25th Aug 08 at 23:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Paul_J

25th Aug 08 at 23:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeh James, I think me and you should enter Mr2 Challenge series or something instead
Timbaland
Banned

26th Aug 08 at 00:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If he wants to tank round a track then these things happen . Tough shit.
Pucci1

26th Aug 08 at 06:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

brown pants moment.
Huffski

26th Aug 08 at 07:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ha ha thats awsome
nova_gteuk

26th Aug 08 at 08:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This threads confusing.

Why shouldnt you enter on a budget?

RCS

26th Aug 08 at 12:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Because its budget racing there are big grids with fairly standard cars. This means its very close competition, and with the general level of skill of the drivers competeting there is bound to be incidents.

So you enter on a budget thinking cheap racing, and you get crashed into at every race. Not really budget racing when you have to repair your car after every race.
AndyKent

26th Aug 08 at 12:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What rubbish

You might get minor damage in every race, but nothing like that every time. No reason not to enter budget racing if thats all you can, or want, to afford.
Mobby

26th Aug 08 at 12:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i blame being back of the pack
nova_gteuk

26th Aug 08 at 12:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by RCS
Because its budget racing there are big grids with fairly standard cars. This means its very close competition, and with the general level of skill of the drivers competeting there is bound to be incidents.

So you enter on a budget thinking cheap racing, and you get crashed into at every race. Not really budget racing when you have to repair your car after every race.

You expect accidents and crashes in any race,hardly a reason not to enter?

and its a 106 can easily pick up another shell for a couple of £100 quid?

CorsaSport14

26th Aug 08 at 13:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mobby
i blame being back of the pack

I blame the Peugeot driver's
RCS

26th Aug 08 at 13:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Granted there will be crashes etc but its meant to be non contact. The point is you could pay a bit extra for a race entry and be on a grid with sensible drivers who value there cars a bit more, and it'll cost less in the long run than racing in that series where you expect damage in every race.

Its not as simple as a new shell for a couple hundred quid either. Think of all the time and effort that needs to go in to get it back on track.
nova_gteuk

26th Aug 08 at 13:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Even though its not a contact sport,you expect contact.

People who go on track days,dont think i better not go on track in case theres contact?

Even the people with the smallest budget would drive sensible and try and be the best that they can,i cant see much point in not being sensible one crash and their race could be over?

I dont see personally how driving a more exspensve cars stops contact?

And to me crashing and swopping bits to a new shell is all part of the fun.
DaveB

26th Aug 08 at 13:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cLASS VIDEO. IMO he probably got rammed by the blue one as revenge for giving him a little tap coming out of the previous corner.

Revenge FTW. Rubbing's racing.
RCS

26th Aug 08 at 14:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You don't expect contact, there is a risk of it. In that kind of series there is a higher risk.

Yes its entertaining to watch, but if you'd just spent your budget of £3k to get in the race and some twat takes you off your hardly going to find it entertaining.

Paul_J

26th Aug 08 at 14:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by nova_gteuk

You expect accidents and crashes in any race,hardly a reason not to enter?

and its a 106 can easily pick up another shell for a couple of £100 quid?

and magically all the parts get moved from one shell to the other for free - just like on the ps2

I agree 100% with butler. You need to have enough of a budget that 'accidents' like that, don't matter. Otherwise you'll be upset when it happens or constantly worried about being damaged and therefore driving like a sissy.

Stock Hatch is known for being particulary bad. The grids have 50 cars and often 90 cars turn up to a race day (they have heats and get knocked out if too slow)... with 50 cars on track you're not necisarily going to get a clear lap for quali and thus may be stuck at the back when you know you're quicker. Instead of using driving skill to gain places, people will bash you out of the way.
Paul_J

26th Aug 08 at 15:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Even though its not a contact sport,you expect contact.

People who go on track days,dont think i better not go on track in case theres contact?

Even the people with the smallest budget would drive sensible and try and be the best that they can,i cant see much point in not being sensible one crash and their race could be over?

I dont see personally how driving a more exspensve cars stops contact?

And to me crashing and swopping bits to a new shell is all part of the fun.

You clearly have not researched much into stock hatch or seen a race in person... Just the fact there's like 50 cars on track at the same time = accidents. You can't expect to get that many cars through chicanes / hair pins safely on the first lap.

Yes most budget racing can be done without major contact... i.e. Mr2 Challenge / Max5 Racing series / Nippon Challenge / MGOC series etc.

If you look at racing series with much more expensive cars like classic car series the accidents are avoided by people driving more considerately and not using each other's car as a brake.

However Stock hatch is full of people that treat it like a destruction derby. Watch any video on youtube of a stock hatch race and it's full of crashes. Either the field has young drivers who don't care / are arrogant or old drivers who can afford it with ease.

At a race I watched recently at thruxton, the paddock was littered with banged up cars from after the race. The other race series that raced that day had maybe '1 or 2' cars that had dents, but stock hatch the whole field was covered in dents and at least 10-20 cars were close to write offs.

If you honestly think nova_gteuk you can do this on a budget of like £5000 (buy car for £3000 - pay for fees / races through the year) and not have problems you're wrong.

It's going to get quite expensive... IF you are willing to pay it then fine, but as butler is just pointing out. It's not 'as cheap' as some may think (some think ah £3000 and that's it).
Tom

26th Aug 08 at 15:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wonder if the field is full of cat c/d cars (stock hatch) you would think it would be to save on costs?!
nova_gteuk

26th Aug 08 at 15:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mate used to race a clio he spent about 5k a season.

Thats even after hed smashed up his first clio into the tyre wall in his 3rd race.

Hes a mechanic so does all repairs himself with his father, he generally buys two shells, kits them out with rollcages,then when the inevitable happens swaps the engine transmission brakes etc over.

Granted he has sponsors and does get discounted stuff,he manages fine on a budget.

He now races in the clio cup with a stupidly high budget.

[Edited on 26-08-2008 by nova_gteuk]
Carl

26th Aug 08 at 15:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There is no such thing as cheap motor racing.
My bro's mate rinsed 50k competing in the clio cup last year, think he did half a race.

[Edited on 26-08-2008 by Carl]
Paul_J

26th Aug 08 at 15:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
My mate used to race a clio he spent about 5k a season.

Thats even after hed smashed up his first clio into the tyre wall in his 3rd race.

Hes a mechanic so does all repairs himself with his father, he generally buys two shells, kits them out with rollcages,then when the inevitable happens swaps the engine transmission brakes etc over.

Granted he has sponsors and does get discounted stuff,he manages fine on a budget.

He now races in the clio cup with a stupidly high budget.

what series did he race a clio in? I didn't think stock hatch had clios?
Mattb

26th Aug 08 at 16:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your better off in the hot hatch championship imo... more mature drivers - Many of the field in stock hatch are youngsters, some of them from the sax max championship (mainly 14 year olds etc)
Plus the field in the hotch hatch is a fair bit smaller.. a freind of mine managed to be competative in a 150bhp 106 so probably could be done of a lowish budget

my 2p and all imo of course
nova_gteuk

26th Aug 08 at 16:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dont know much about it tbh not spoke to him in over two years.

Stock hatch you can drive anything up to a 1.6 isnt it?

His cars where the 1.6 16v sports

I only met him because i bought bits off him for my old mk1 clio 1.4 sport.

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » This sums up for me why you shouldnt enter stock hatch on a budget! 22 database queries in 0.0198200 seconds