corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » [Pet Day] Dog owners - advice plix! NOW WITH ADDED PICS

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author [Pet Day] Dog owners - advice plix! NOW WITH ADDED PICS
Jules

User status: Offline
2nd Sep 08 at 09:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OK ever since I split with my ex I've really missed her two dogs and her Jack Russell in particular so would like to get one of my own, I'm looking to re-home an abandonned/unwanted one and have been looking on the net at various local dog/pet rescue centres.

Today I saw one who looks right up my street, the right breed, male - even the right type of hair (smooth not wirey) so naturally I'm very interested in adopting him - but I have a few questions and would like some adivse:

The dog in question is 1 year old, would he still need any house training?
How tricky is this to do (bearing in mind I've only had about a years experience of dogs from when me and my ex were together)?

If I were to adopt him how would I get him home?
The rescue centre is about 50 miles away so I'll drive there but how to bring him back? Put a rug on the passenger/rear seat and let him sit where he wants? Borrow one of my Mum's larger cat travel baskets? Buy a basket for him?

Is there any questions I should ask about him?
The only ones I can think of are - Is he house trained? Has he had the snip? Has he had his jabs?

Anything else you can think of to ask or suggestions you can make please feel free!

Beers in advance!

[Edited on 05-09-2008 by Jules]
Cosmo

2nd Sep 08 at 09:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Id imagine by that age it should be house trained - but even still its not a hard job to do really just takes a little time and patience. Dogs are clean animals though and dont like to shit where they eat and sleep so becoming house trained is fairly natural for them.

I wouldnt just leave him free in the car as you dont know his personality yet and may well freak out and make it hard for you to drive and hurt himself around the car. Either a large cage thing or in the boot of a hatchback or similar car would be best IMO.
Cosmo

2nd Sep 08 at 09:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh, and as for questions - ask about his current routine (feeding times, what food he likes/has, anything else they do, etc.)
Robbo

2nd Sep 08 at 09:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get a big cage that he can live in, he will feel more secure in that and introduce him to it immediately, ie for the journey home.
morpheus22

2nd Sep 08 at 09:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The dog in question is 1 year old, would he still need any house training?
if he's only one year old i would imagine some house trainings needed, its not that hard just time consuming be patient with him.put paper down where ever you like(we put it near the door) so when he went to do his wee/poo we opened the door so he had the choice of going out if he wanted.
If I were to adopt him how would I get him home?
let him sit where he wants but if he gets restess pull over and if you have a large basket/travel cage put him in there and if he whines talk to him as you travel maybe stop every so often give him a fuss.
Is there any questions I should ask about him?
ask them what food he likes,if he is friendly around other dogs and if he likes a long walk. oh and if he chews things lol

[Edited on 02-09-2008 by morpheus22]
Robbo

2nd Sep 08 at 09:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

BTW I preusme you realise just how much energy JR's have?!

My sister recently had to give one up () as it was too much work for them, they never trained her properly so she pee'd everytime someone came round + they didnt take her for 2 walks a day (cos they thoguht she got enough exercise boundign about the house )

Also, its not fair leavign the poor thing on its own all day IMO
Charlotte

2nd Sep 08 at 09:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1st: Even at 1 yr old he might not be house trained. If he was abandoned as a puppy and lives in the pet unit then he only has a cage so he wouldnt no that he would have to go outside etc. But as Cosmo said its not hard to train him. Just show him whose boss, where he is allowed and where he isnt etc.

2nd: To get him home i would probably try and take someone with you to hold him in an open lid box as he might not have been moved properly and where he doesnt know you he might wet himself or get uneasy. If he can feel someones heat he will feel more comfy.

3rd: You need to ask where he was jabbed (vets), has he got a card, is he snipped, family background if they have any, what he sleeps with i.e blanket, toys etc, any thing that they know has happened to him for instance was he kicked which means he might cower down.

Hope that kinda helps
Jules

2nd Sep 08 at 10:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All good advice - thankyou people.

Robbo, I know how much energy they have from Benson (the ex's one) and I have a park littrely on my doorstep - walk out of my front door and the entrance is directly opposite my front door, there is also a bigger (and nicer) park with a small wooded area 5 mins walk up the road so I can take him over the road before and after work and to the nicer one when I have more time on my days off, which brings me onto the "being left alone all day" part - I work shifts - 2 days and 2 nights then 4 days off, I will take him over the road before I goto work on my days and again when I get home, on nights I'll walk him in the day then again when I get home before I sleep for the next night shift, obviously on my days off I can do it at pretty much anytime but intend to keep to a routine of at least one walk in the morning and one in the afternoon/early evening.
My parents have said that they can pop in on him from time to time when I'm working to make sure he's ok but tbh Benson was never a problem when I was working - he's about 9 years old though.

Charlotte, good point about asking why he was abandonned etc, obviously I want him to have 100% trust and to feel safe with me eventually so if he's been abused in the past then knowing what kind of abuse that was will help me gain his trust by avoiding whatever reaction might scare him.
I might be able to get someone to come with me - a female friend of mine has offered to come when she's not working - so maybe that might be the better way to get him home without paniccing him?
I know that dogs like having their head out of the window in a moving car but is that a bit of a myth? Are dogs generally OK in a moving car?

Robbo

2nd Sep 08 at 10:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds like you have given this some good thought then

Yes Dogs are fine in the car buit they will move aorund a lot, I personalyl wouldnt let a small dog like a JR near an open window though lol
Dean_W

2nd Sep 08 at 10:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jules
Are dogs generally OK in a moving car?

My mums jack russel hates it with a passion.
Charlotte

2nd Sep 08 at 10:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol some like their heads out of the window but if its a tiny dog i wouldnt recommend it. Just have the window slightly open so it can feel the air. TBH it might be too scared to do anything at first.
Dean_W

2nd Sep 08 at 10:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jules
I want him to have 100% trust and to feel safe with me eventually so if he's been abused in the past then knowing what kind of abuse that was will help me gain his trust by avoiding whatever reaction might scare him.

My mate adopted a staffy that had not been looked after properly, he was quite a bad dog, nto trained and a moody little sod. Think it was 18 months old.

Mike showed him a bit of whos boss, trained him and looked after him properly. The dog is now the softest, most obedient dog i've come across. Walks off his lead nice, never gets nowty and trained really well.

So sometimes they just need a bit of love
Robbo

2nd Sep 08 at 10:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Charlotte
lol some like their heads out of the window but if its a tiny dog i wouldnt recommend it. Just have the window slightly open so it can feel the air. TBH it might be too scared to do anything at first.
Jules

2nd Sep 08 at 10:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robbo
quote:
Originally posted by Charlotte

I wasn't going to have the window fully open - or even enough for him to get his head out of tbh! I took the ex's two dogs to the vets in the car once and Tia (Springer Spaniel) was ok and just flopped on the back seat where as Benson wanted to see everything that was going on - still have the wet nose marks on the windows to prove it
I just wondered if it was typical dog-in-car behaviour - seems it is for Jacks which is understandable I guess as they are balls of energy!

I've just had a message on Facebook from a old school friend who lives in Ipswich who are having to get rid of their 2 year old male Jack as he doesn't get on very well with their 1 year old son so things are looking up!
John

2nd Sep 08 at 11:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A whole day/nightshift is a long time to leave a dog alone in the house, would be better if somebody was checking him.

My dogs never been left alone for more than about 5 hours max.
Charlotte

2nd Sep 08 at 11:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my two are left alone all day. they love it. they just laze around and sleep
Robbo

2nd Sep 08 at 11:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depend son the type of Dog really but you shouldnt leave any on their own all day IMO let alone a little energetic dog
John

2nd Sep 08 at 11:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

2 is a bit different, at least they can keep each other occupied.
Kerry

2nd Sep 08 at 12:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also bear in mind that if you rehome one from a rescue place they will want to come and do a home visit first!

Also when I rehomed they actually brought the animal too me so I didnt have to worry about the travelling (they used a van with proper cage)
eddiewhiteley

2nd Sep 08 at 12:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kerry
Also bear in mind that if you rehome one from a rescue place they will want to come and do a home visit first!

Also when I rehomed they actually brought the animal too me so I didnt have to worry about the travelling (they used a van with proper cage)

not always, i got my dog from manchester dogs home and we just went, picked him, and took him home same day
Kerry

2nd Sep 08 at 12:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok then MOST (decent) ones.......

[Edited on 02-09-2008 by Kerry]
Brett
Premium Member

2nd Sep 08 at 12:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The one you went to wasn't decent, eddie
eddiewhiteley

2nd Sep 08 at 12:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thinking that myself
Charlotte

2nd Sep 08 at 13:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

we were going to get an abandoned english sheepdog once and they didnt want to do a home check either. now that was one hypo dog
Ren

2nd Sep 08 at 14:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think your work pattern leaves the dog alone for longer then it should really. Is there no way anyone can house sit for the first few weeks when you bring him/her home?

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » [Pet Day] Dog owners - advice plix! NOW WITH ADDED PICS 22 database queries in 0.4394269 seconds