corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » HTC Touch Diamond - My thoughts...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author HTC Touch Diamond - My thoughts...
hugefoot

User status: Offline
7th Sep 08 at 16:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This arrived the other day, i couldn't wait to get it open and have a play! It comes in a pyramid shaped box, and has all the usual accessories with it, including a very stylish leather slip.

The physical size of the phone is great! Just a couple of mm bigger than my samsung g600, it is a very good looking phone, which feels solid in the hand.

I had a qucik read of the quick start guide and put it on charge, the plug for the wall is very aestehtically pleasing, but the wire length a little short. It seems the one wire is used for both charging and linking to a pc. It is USB to mini-USB.

Once it was charged, I turned it on, calibrated the touch screen and it was finally ready for me to have a play. Although, I knew it runs on Windows, I had read in reviews that the Touchflow 3D seemed to disguise it really well, but the phone really is like a pc, had to restart and boot up again, and when trying out applications, had a couple of errors, which tell me xxx.exe has incurred an error, would you like to send Microsoft a report...

The touch screen, this can be sluggish to use, but does have an instinctive feel to it, although does not equal the iPhone for it, only ever had a 10 minute play on the iPhone and it felt very natural using it.

The resolution is astounding, extremely clear! i Think it has a 600 x 480 resolution, which is better than anything else out on the market?!

There is a stylus which is neatly tucked into the side of the phone, which I didn't realise was there, to use the touch screen on the main menu, (Touchflo 3D) you can use your fingers, but I have found when going into most applications, you need to use the stylus, I have quite large fingers, but i imagine this would be the same for most people.

Another annoying niggle, is that when opening a new window or application the QWERTY touchscreen keyboard pops up, when you might not want to use it.

When going to read a text message, a quick slide across the main menu, takes you to your inbox, with the most recent message open in full, could be good for some people, but I found it annoying. When replying to a message it puts it into a converstaion which is a nice touch, but when writing a reply you cannot see the full message, only 2 lines of it at a time.

I have tried to use the phone as i would my old phone as much i could throughout the last few days, and have to say it is not very user friendly, when answering calls i am not sure if it has connected properly due to being sluggish. Also, i like to keep it in the case so as not to scratch it and so that the screen does not accidentally get touched and go into apps, call people, etc.

The applications the phone have are awesome though, the Opera browser, although not as good as the Safari browser on the iPhone is fairly simple to use. The accelerometer seems to only work in this and one game where you have to roll a ball round a maze (very addicitive!)
It has the Office applications, Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Adobe PDF reader.

The camera is 3.2 MP, it is average, the video is fairly average as well, downloaded videos are very good though as the screen resolution makes them very clear.

Overall, i like the size of the phone, it fits well into the hand, but the use of the stylus is needed alot. There are a lot of niggles which i don't think i can get on with, and am seriously considering taking out an iphone, but have a good deal on the tariff side.

Will I be able to live with the niggles, I can't decide right now?! Why have i written such a huge essay? Why not? I wanted to try and give a users review of the product, I felt alot of people recommended the HTC when I asked for advice on which phone to choose from, I can understand why they would recommend it, but it is not for everyone.

I cannot comment on the Samsung Omnia or Tocco, but have been told the Omnia has had software issues and alot of have been sent back, as for the tocco, no WiFi, and the drag & drop function looks to be useless.

I rate this phone 6-7/10 - but this really depends on the user, it is definitely aimed at a business user, but even for them I think it would be hard to live with as a phone.

colour_golden

7th Sep 08 at 17:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Should have got a Omnia...it does this shizzle http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQlzX7EyIwU
Jambo

7th Sep 08 at 20:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Omnia
dusty619

7th Sep 08 at 20:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive got the new Samsung Omnia in Limited Edition white! only just come out the other day!!

I think its the dogs danglleeesssss
hugefoot

7th Sep 08 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

have u had any software issues? How do you find using the touchscreen - is it laggy, do you need to use the stylus much?

Jambo

8th Sep 08 at 11:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the stylus isnt inbuilt you have to carry it with you

In 2008 there shouldnt be a windows device on the market without an inbuilt stylus. Its a joke. Diamond is far better
Brabus

8th Sep 08 at 11:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dusty619
Ive got the new Samsung Omnia in Limited Edition white! only just come out the other day!!

I think its the dogs danglleeesssss

So its an iPhone but not as good?
ssj_kakarot

13th Sep 08 at 21:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

get over to xda dev website and install a cooked firmware, solves many of the issues you listed, makes the device so much more responsive it basically eliminates all of the lag present on the phone with a decent cooked rom.

also should have waited a few more weeks for the touch pro, same phone just with a qwerty keyboard, camera flash, tv out, sd card slot it is a bit bigger though.

New Poll