corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Video editing - jumpy playback - upgrades needed?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Video editing - jumpy playback - upgrades needed?
deano87

User status: Offline
15th Sep 08 at 13:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In the process of editing all the headcam footage and general stuff we did in France and making it into a proper DVD as I did the last one.

I'm using Ulead Video Studio 9 which I get on really well with and works well with the headcam vids which are a special codec.

I can watch the vids via Ulead no problem, but when they are put into the timeline, cut down etc, they go jumpy and then it becomes difficult to get an exact cut.

What would be causing the jumpyness, baring in mind I don't have any other programmes running?

RAM? Processor? Graphics card?

Graphics card is "Sapphire ATI Radeon 9550 256MB DDR DVI/TV-OUT (AGP)". I have 1gb RAM and an AMD Athlon 3000+ (2.04GHz) processor. Plus a new HDD so it definitely isn't that lagging etc.

I'm hoping it my just be a quick fix such as more RAM?!

[Edited on 15-09-2008 by deano87]
johnhara1

15th Sep 08 at 14:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Download a newer version of the codec?

Could you convert the vids to a more compatible format like WMV?
deano87

15th Sep 08 at 14:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by johnhara1
Download a newer version of the codec?

Could you convert the vids to a more compatible format like WMV?

There is hundreds of vids - I might try it though on the off chance
johnhara1

15th Sep 08 at 14:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just convert a couple to see if it works 1st.

deano87

15th Sep 08 at 15:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hmmm it did seem to work with some which were a different format.

Might be the option
Dom

15th Sep 08 at 18:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

don't convert them, you'll just loose quality. If you have to convert them, then convert them to uncompressed (both audio and video) - but you end up with files that are 10's of gigs rather than a few MBs.

Could be all sorts though, certainly i would look at more ram anyways, 1GB isn't enough these days, 2GB is the minimum now.
Make sure you shut down as much shite that starts up as possible to save resources - use msconfig, and task-manager (google either).

Open up task-manager, click the performance tab and see if the cpu is maxed out during playback - if so, then it's probably the "special" codec being pretty cack and being inefficient. in which case, try converting them to uncompressed using VirtualDub etc. Failing that, a new system (not worth upgrading parts on an old athlon system).

Otherwise, if you're using a single drive then it could be the HDD lagging due to reading and writing at the same time. Add a drive and use that for footage. Could also be video studio being inefficient, try premiere or something else and see if it works.

oh and your graphics card should be alright, in my old XP3000+ system (similar spec'd graphics card) i was editing 10GB video files without any problems under premier. Only difference was that i had 3GB of ram and had multiple drives - OS (for software and XP), a footage drive (for stored footage), a editing drive (for final renders and premier projects) and a scratch drive (which was a separate small drive for temp files that preimiere used).
deano87

15th Sep 08 at 19:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cool, thanks Dom, definitely something to think about - I wanted to refrain from converting all vids etc

EDIT: I just did playback with Ulead and my processor went to 100% immediately I have literally nothing in the Startup tab in 'msconfig' and have done for ages, so it's obviously the codec etc annoying because this is the software bundled with the camera

[Edited on 15-09-2008 by deano87]
Dom

15th Sep 08 at 19:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you know what codec the files are in?
deano87

15th Sep 08 at 19:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Off the top of my head, no, although I'm trying to find out.

The videos, once transferred from the headcam/digi cam will only play the video & audio if the codec, which comes with it on a disc, is installed. Otherwise, just the audio works.

Stupid Samsung branding.
deano87

15th Sep 08 at 19:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Under the Video Codecs in the device manager, it's named "Samsung Video Codec 1.1"!
Dom

15th Sep 08 at 19:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't know a lot about that codec, but from a quick google it looks like SMP4 is a version of MPEG4 (although i have found that it's just a bodge codec based on DivX, but can't really find any more about this).

Do a quick google on SMP4 (http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=SMP4&btnG=Search&meta=) and have a look, seems to be a load of solutions and what not > example <
deano87

15th Sep 08 at 20:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

deano87

15th Sep 08 at 20:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hmmm I installed the codec given on that site but it has made no difference didn't think it'd be that simple.

New Poll