corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Help! Laptop won't load up

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Help! Laptop won't load up
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

User status: Offline
   16th Sep 08 at 18:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right, story goes, I found a virus on my laptop a few days ago, ran a scan and it come up with three infected files with different infections. Tried to delete one of the files and it kept coming up with a message box asking did I want to delete all files from my recycle bin. I then tried to open it in safe mode, problem there being the screen is knackered and you've gotta hold it a certain way for it to show up.

Just tried connecting it to my mum's screen so I can try and sort it but it tries to load, comes up with the Windows screen with the scrolling dots, then goes blank and after a few seconds a blue screen pops up for about a second, full of writing then the computer restarts and asks if I want to start it normally/with last known good configuration/safe mode. With the first 2 it just does what it has done previously and if I try safe mode it comes up with loads of lines saying 'multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\windows\system32\DRIVERS\' then various different .sys files

That screen stays for a while then it'll restart again, asking normal or safe mode.

Has anyone got any ideas? I've been using this laptop for a year or so, all my pics are stored on there, all my music, and loads of programs that I use regularly. It's not my own but it's the only one I feel comfortable putting all my stuff on. I'll be gutted if all my pics have gone

Oh it's an Acer Travelmate 2490 running Windows XP (can't remember if it's home or pro) if that's any help

[Edited on 16-09-2008 by Mike B]
pow
Premium Member

16th Sep 08 at 18:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Boot it in safe mode with network support, copy all your files to another computer on youe home network (disconnect the router from the internet), then start a-fresh with it mate. No point trying to rescue a infected system when it's that easy to reinstall XP
Mike
Premium Member

16th Sep 08 at 18:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When I try and boot it in safe mode with network support it just comes up with all the 'multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\windows\system32\DRIVERS\' addresses for a few minutes then the blue screen appears and it reboots again
pow
Premium Member

16th Sep 08 at 18:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Damn!

You can always whip the disk out and plug it into an external caddy, 2.5" one vailable from maplins? PLug the HDD in one end, USB socket into another computer and copy the files off (the laptop HDD shows as a disk in MY COmputer)
Toby
Premium Member

16th Sep 08 at 18:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its prob a trojan, happened to one of our laptops couldnt do anything than rteboot, but a mate did manage to back it up first
Mike
Premium Member

16th Sep 08 at 19:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bugger, in that case then, has anyone got a rough idea on a price for the external caddy, a 15" screen, and an XP disc?

Depending on cost I might try and claim it for my own, considering no-one else has used it for months
Ben G

16th Sep 08 at 19:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

had this on my computer a while ago. had no option but to re install windows xp again, wiping everything off the computer
deano87

16th Sep 08 at 21:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When you put in your Windows XP disc, it'll give 2 options, whether to run a Windows repair type system, or complete re-format i.e. wipe clean.

I turned my PC off by the power before it had shut down and was doing similar things to yours. I ran this repair type programme, it basically reconfigured all the drivers etc and I got everything back
Mike
Premium Member

16th Sep 08 at 21:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by deano87
When you put in your Windows XP disc, it'll give 2 options, whether to run a Windows repair type system, or complete re-format i.e. wipe clean.

I turned my PC off by the power before it had shut down and was doing similar things to yours. I ran this repair type programme, it basically reconfigured all the drivers etc and I got everything back

I haven't got an XP Disc
deano87

17th Sep 08 at 06:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh, bummer. Do that when you do have one.
andy1868

17th Sep 08 at 07:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you can fix it without a format mike, i could come and do it for you if you like?
Nath

17th Sep 08 at 10:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My PC is doing something similar

I have 5 years worth of pictures on there. Hopefully I can get it working.
andy1868

17th Sep 08 at 12:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nath, have you got an XP disc?

if so its something you can do yourself with alittle guidance
Nath

17th Sep 08 at 12:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by andy1868
nath, have you got an XP disc?

if so its something you can do yourself with alittle guidance

Yeah I have.

I'll do a post tonight about whats gone wrong and any help will be much appreciated
John

17th Sep 08 at 12:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What both of you want to do is reinstall xp without a format, get the stuff you need backed up then format and start from scratch.

http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winxpprox64/installxpcdoldhdd/emulation.htm

Is an emulation of it although DO NOT follow that exactly as that formats it, we'll have to change a couple of steps.
Nath

17th Sep 08 at 12:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll be online tonight to detail the exact problem. I'm told it's not doomed, but it's over my head as I only have limited IT knowledge.
andy1868

17th Sep 08 at 12:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if its doing the same thing as mike's then it should be fairly simple.

if you boot your XP disc let it go into setup

the first option you'll get is formatting etc, or run a repair console by pressing R.

go into repair and when you get a command line (black background with white writing)

type "chkdsk /p" then hit enter.

it'll work through for a while and when its finished it'll probably tell you something along the lines of "one or more errors was found on the volume" and you'll go back to the command line

type "exit" the machine will reboot and hopefully it will work. if not then your problem is more serious!
Nath

17th Sep 08 at 12:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's very similar to Mike's problem. I'll use my old mans laptop tonight and work next to the PC. I'll give that a bash!

[Edited on 17-09-2008 by Nath]
Mike
Premium Member

17th Sep 08 at 18:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Andy you legend you have a u2u
Nath

17th Sep 08 at 19:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by andy1868
if its doing the same thing as mike's then it should be fairly simple.

if you boot your XP disc let it go into setup

the first option you'll get is formatting etc, or run a repair console by pressing R.

go into repair and when you get a command line (black background with white writing)

type "chkdsk /p" then hit enter.

it'll work through for a while and when its finished it'll probably tell you something along the lines of "one or more errors was found on the volume" and you'll go back to the command line

type "exit" the machine will reboot and hopefully it will work. if not then your problem is more serious!

Right, doing the chkdsk thingy, but it's been on 18% for a good few mins! Shall I just leave it for a bit?
Nath

17th Sep 08 at 19:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Update: It reached 26% then came up with the error message you mentioned Andy.

So I typed 'exit', the pc rebooted, but now it's not loading past what appears to be my graphics card screen. It's the bit straight after pc info pops up after start up. So it starts, the pc info comes up (what memory my PC has etc....). then gets to my '8Xtreme Series' graphics card info screen, but thats it. It's stuck there.
andy1868

17th Sep 08 at 22:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you should get the error message, but it should complete to 100%, i've never stopped it quarter of the way through

do it again and let it go to 100% although if its crashing when its checking your graphics card then that may be faulty have you got another one you could try? from another computer or a friends etc?

[Edited on 18-09-2008 by andy1868]
Nath

18th Sep 08 at 12:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It stopped itself. It never got to 100%. It got to 26% then came up with the prompt bar again.

It actually got past that screen in the end, but still doesn't boot windows.

So I guess I'll try again.
Ian W

18th Sep 08 at 12:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nath
It stopped itself. It never got to 100%. It got to 26% then came up with the prompt bar again.

Remove the drive and get a USB SATA/IDE conntector, plug into laptop and copy your files over.

Then just format !
Nath

18th Sep 08 at 12:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian W
quote:
Originally posted by Nath

Remove the drive and get a USB SATA/IDE conntector, plug into laptop and copy your files over.

Then just format !

Yeah I'm thinking that's my only choice.

Is it really that easy to copy the files across? Will I be able to view the drive like I would on the PC? Or will it copy EVERYTHING?

[Edited on 18-09-2008 by Nath]

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll