corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Golf: Your Drive

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Golf: Your Drive
PaulJMcT

User status: Offline
9th Oct 08 at 13:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have been playing for about 5 months now. Really enjoying it, irons are good putting is good but my Driving is woeful!

How on earth do i stop slicing the ball, i can get some distance when hit straight 1 in 10 shots though but nearly every time its a good 30 yards off to the right. Where am i going wrong??
Tom

9th Oct 08 at 13:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's all test and tweak imo, the only thing I would say (if you aren't going to get a lesson or anything) is start with a 3/4 (or less) and slow back swing, e.g. don't try and hit it as hard as you can. You can put more power in on the front swing to start with but if you try and go too far on your back swing you will mess up everything you have just set up with your stance and have no control. I have to turn in my right forearm a bit un-naturally to avoid going off to the right sometimes.

Driving is tough to do consistently though you are right and i've only ever had one round where i've driven cleanly at most tee's

[Edited on 09-10-2008 by Tom]
Robbo

9th Oct 08 at 13:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I rock at Driving Suck at the rest though
Eck
Premium Member

9th Oct 08 at 14:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why not try putting your left foot slightly further back than your right? How do you hold the club?
Mad Moe

9th Oct 08 at 15:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could be either too far back in your stance or you're swing being too fast both of which will leave your hands open when you contact the ball
PaulJMcT

9th Oct 08 at 15:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've tried moving my feet that was the first thing. The second was holding the club with my left hand with the club face facing 11 oclock then turning it and holding with my right so it forces the club to turn on the down swing.

i hold the club by interlocking my left index and right little finger.
Mad Moe

9th Oct 08 at 15:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Eck
Why not try putting your left foot slightly further back than your right? How do you hold the club?

That could exaggerate the problem further
J da Silva

9th Oct 08 at 15:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No, don't alter your stance, you'll over compensate, relax your shoulders and keep your hips as still/stiff when your slinging back, too much stray movement in the body causes this I would have thought.

[Edited on 09-10-2008 by J da Silva]
Mad Moe

9th Oct 08 at 15:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You grip should be so the two V's created by your thumb and forefinger, when holding the club, point towards your right shoulder
J da Silva

9th Oct 08 at 15:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think golf is half natural talent and the other half is to be nurtured along with that talent, I personally held the club wrong at a young age but I was awesome anyway, then when a golf buddy got me doing all the right things, I was even better, it has always been a sport where even if I don't practice it doesn't take long to get back to form.
I personally could not tell you where your exactly going wrong, just give you a hint as I have above but the key for me is relax, it will come, you have all the tools in you and a club, it's just a case of getting it all to work together.
Mad Moe

9th Oct 08 at 15:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I could hit the ball fairly consistently when I first started although I did have a bit of a hook, couple of lessons later and I've came down to 16 in a little over two years

[Edited on 09-10-2008 by Mad Moe]
PaulJMcT

9th Oct 08 at 16:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im booking in for a few lessons, a local club is doing them for £17ph so might take a few.

Just gets you down everytime you play a round and your ending up in the right hand bushes/trees/bunkers for 18 holes.
Mad Moe

9th Oct 08 at 16:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seriously mate after two or three lessons any decent teacher will have you hitting the ball quite consistently, good luck!
strick206

9th Oct 08 at 16:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Firstly i'd suggest getting used to your swing using a 3 wood, a driver is generally much harder to hit, and being a beginner, you may be able to hit the 3 wood much more consistently

Also, i have this problem, as much as i think i know what i'm doing wrong, i always go back into the same routine, i plans to have lessons this winter because i want to be playing off much lower

Try going slower in your backswing, but also, i imagine you a swinging the club wide on the backswing, so that when you're coming back towards the ball, you're cutting accross it, try lifting the club upwards more, and not as far wide
Bram

9th Oct 08 at 17:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Best tip I ever had (which is probably not what a coach would tell you ) was imagine your swing as a figure of 8. On your back swing push the club head away from your body, as you swing through the ball bring the head towards your body and follow through as if you are trying to hit the ball to a '1 o'clock' position on the fairway as opposed to straight down the middle.

Really helped me
corsa - gus

9th Oct 08 at 18:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tbh, my driving varies a bit season to season. if its dodgy, i fire round to see my mate (hes the pro at a course near me) and he sorts me out. He always has me hitting long and straight after a couple of sessions.

PaulJMcT

10th Oct 08 at 06:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by strick206
Firstly i'd suggest getting used to your swing using a 3 wood, a driver is generally much harder to hit, and being a beginner, you may be able to hit the 3 wood much more consistently

Also, i have this problem, as much as i think i know what i'm doing wrong, i always go back into the same routine, i plans to have lessons this winter because i want to be playing off much lower

Try going slower in your backswing, but also, i imagine you a swinging the club wide on the backswing, so that when you're coming back towards the ball, you're cutting accross it, try lifting the club upwards more, and not as far wide

A few fella's have told me that, the reason its slicing is cause im coming to round the ball, i need to have my right arm/elbow in against my body on the down swing so im not cutting through the ball, easier said than done tbh.
JM Curdy

10th Oct 08 at 09:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my problem is i swing back to hard and fuck up my stance and slice through the ball on the backswing, doesnt help ive been using the whippiest driver u cud ever find lately, been playing my steel shafted 3 wood of the tee and bombing them straight
James@CCC

10th Oct 08 at 18:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I read a good article on this a few months back cos i was having the same thing.

Basically, it depends on how it is going of at an angle. If its going straight of at an angle like \ or / from the club, then your swing is at an angle; fix that

If on the other hand its curling of after some distance straight then your hitting with with the club face at an angle; fix that
JM Curdy

10th Oct 08 at 20:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeh mines is going straight then swinging waaaay out right , how do i fix that
James@CCC

10th Oct 08 at 23:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

angle the club slightly the other way, to make sure its hitting the ball completely flat, not at an angle. Thats whats cuasing it
Tommy L

11th Oct 08 at 17:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

any chance of getting a video of you swinging and hitting a ball or photos?
corsa_godfather

12th Oct 08 at 08:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i reckon youl have an out to in swing path,hence the slice.common fault for new golfers.
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

21st Oct 08 at 08:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i slice it too

but usually only with my driver, 3 and 5 wood are 90% straight

the only thing i can put it down to is that my driver is a flexi shaft and my other clubs are stiff steel shafts
stuartmitchell

21st Oct 08 at 12:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I used to slice it terribly and went for a radical fix - basically try and hook the arse out of it lol

Left foot further forward than the right, ball teed a bit further forward and try a flat swing as if your swinging the club round yourself. You'll soon feel a balance in your set up which balances it out!

Note well though - this will fuck up everything else

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Golf: Your Drive 23 database queries in 0.0152411 seconds