corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » to print or not to print

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author to print or not to print
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

User status: Offline
15th Oct 08 at 08:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That is the question.

Currently we share with another company who provide two printers, one colour and one black&white, both are laser.

We are approaching a refit and we will require our own printers, now we are still a small company (under 5 people) and we print every day for meetings, presentations and whatever else.

My question is, would you guys recommend replicating my current setup (one for colour one for b&w) or shall I go for one? I'm pretty sure in a lot of applications you can tell it to print b&w only?

I'm not too sure about the pros and cons of each setup so I'd like to listen to people who have to look after printers as part of the daily IT gig, cost is always at mind.
pow
Premium Member

15th Oct 08 at 08:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you need a photocopier? Leasing a small photocopier that can print has halved our printing costs, plus it does all in one scanning to silly resolution, copying, document server and printing.

Then have a printer as a backup
ed

15th Oct 08 at 08:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't most colour lasers have a toner for B&W and a CMYK toner? If so, then getting a colour would mean you would need one less machine, and when you set B&W for printing you wont waste the CMYK toner.
pow
Premium Member

15th Oct 08 at 08:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Most Colour Lasers have a Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black toner.
willay
Premium Member

15th Oct 08 at 08:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nah we'll use the shared office photochopier pow
AdZ9

15th Oct 08 at 08:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not 100% sure what your line of work exactly is willay but i can say from my perspective of working in the design studio for a big publishers.

We have 2 printers, one for Colour and one thats B&W only, we used to use one but it was a pain in the ass because if someone pressed the wrong thing or forgot to change settings you ended up print stuff and wasting it. So we went to 2 printers, on the main network and are in our studio, ones ATN6(B&W) and one ATN9(Colour) so we just send to whatever one we need to. As we do ads for B&W and Colour sometimes we just design the ad in colour and then to see a proof can send it to each printer instead of making a PDF in black and white etc.

Don't know if that helps, but i'm bored at work already and felt like typing
willay
Premium Member

15th Oct 08 at 15:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ad- we providing it solutions, our printing is mostly for meetings, our own sanity (printing off network diagrams ) and presentations/contracts so a good colour print will be required some of the time but not all.
Cosmo

15th Oct 08 at 15:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We got a colour laser printer a few months back, think it was a Samsung one. Was only a few £100 I think.

New Poll