corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Ford Focus's.. MK1/1.5's, or Astra MK4 instead?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Ford Focus's.. MK1/1.5's, or Astra MK4 instead?
Stokie Dave

User status: Offline
19th Nov 08 at 20:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone got any experiences with them? Whatcha make of them?

I'm pig sick of the Corsa's stigma now, been a really good car but I'm 27 and feel like a right tosser driving it now, gets the wrong kinda attention from all the kiddies too - our city is flooded with them and it finished my opinion off the other day when I came out the pub and it was covered in spit, all my mates normal cars were of course fine...

So looking @ slightly more grown up options on the cheap till I've cleared some debts.

Don't really wanna mess about modding no more really so looking @ Focus 3 door 1.8 Zetecs, compromise for fuel and a bit of go, should be about as quick as my not far off boggo (engine wise) 1.6 Sport.

Anyone got any comments on how they go, stop, handle and general reliability?

Also brill if anyone has comparisons of one compared to MK4 Astra's too as thats another cheap slightly more grown up option.

Ta folks

[Edited on 19-11-2008 by Stokie Dave]

[Edited on 20-11-2008 by Stokie Dave]
Ben G

19th Nov 08 at 20:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

focus rs is the one to go for

Firestate88

19th Nov 08 at 21:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

focus 1.8 zetecs r slow as
my 1.4 corsa keeps up with my mates 1.8 focus, and the focus isnt that economic either
tom_simes
Show Staff
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

19th Nov 08 at 21:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did a total of about 1500 miles in a mates Focus 1.8 last year, mostly motorways but the odd A-road as well.

I felt the brakes in it were very good, with fantastic feel to them, but I don't know what they are like for fade at all as I never pushed it that hard.

It handles ok, not quite as well as my Corsa but thats to be expected when mine is lowered on Koni's with ARB's etc, and the Focus was running on 18's with standard suspension, so rolled a lot.

Its not as quick as a standard Corsa 1.6 - we had a couple of plays and mine always beat him, whatever the conditions - standing start, 40ish mph, and motorway speed rolling starts. However, it was much quieter on the motorway as it revs at around 3k at 80 mph, compared to the Corsa sitting at 4k at the same speed. Although a point to bear in mind - even though it revved lower, I always got better mpg than him, on exactly the same runs (North London to Swansea, for example).

Reliability - he had quite a few issues with the drum brakes on the rear of his, so got them fully rebuilt with new wheel cylinders, shoes, drums and springs and that seemed to solve it. Since that, had no issues at all that I can remember.

Hope that helps, any other questions just ask
harrisp

19th Nov 08 at 21:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mate went from a 1.4 corsa sport to the 2.0 zetec focus, he says the breaks are much better than his corsa. Ive been in it and drove it and it is comfy but with a fair bit of go in it.
But a 1.8 won't be as quick as a 1.6 corsa, his is about as quick as a vtr.
corsasriboy

19th Nov 08 at 22:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i know i'm obviously biased as i own one but i seriously recommend the astra. i've got a 1.8 sxi. its stops pretty well as its got rear discs (look better behind the wheels as well imo), goes alright, havnt had too many races but seems to hold its own, lots of tuning stuff appearing now for it if u did decide to give it a bit more poke, really comfy, very nice seats and position, easy to work on, little bit of roll but im on the smaller 15" wheels with baloon tyres but i am planning on getting some eibach 30mm springs fitted in the next couple of weeks. i've had mine a year now and hasnt put a foot wrong, considered changing it recently as i thought "ive had it a year, time for a change" but i cant get rid of it. id rather tidy it up a bit and enjoy it some more.which is very unusual as every car i have owned has not been longer than 6 months.lol. also got 39mpg out of it last week running to work and back on b roads. feels really solid and well put together. i really do love it.
corsasriboy

19th Nov 08 at 22:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

p.s. i've driven a 1.6 zetec focus and didnt rate it, suspnsion felt pretty good but it was a 54 plate compared to my x reg astra. also the owner was getting terrible mpg (was my gf's mums so not exactly a boy racer). no rear discs, waterpump failed at 20,000 miles, notorious zetec oil eating engine. but like i say, probably best you get some other opinions as i'm quite biased.lol.
T21SVJ

19th Nov 08 at 23:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive had 1 and just got rid of the dam thing, my experiance owned it since feb08 and hated every day.

rear drums breaks sweel, fan belt tensoner,the cat had blocked, lamber sensor, speed sensor.

also electric windows can fail aswell

mine was a 1.6 and dog slow no go what so ever.

was comfy and handled well. thats about the good points.

[Edited on 19-11-2008 by t8ssj]
corsasriboy

19th Nov 08 at 23:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just thought one of my mates had a 1.8 which wasnt very quick as well, his had some problem where the speedo would stop working then the engine would cut out??!! lol.
T21SVJ

19th Nov 08 at 23:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my speedo wud stop workin then car wud juder lol also it wud stop adding miles
corsasriboy

19th Nov 08 at 23:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

haha, just noticed in your sig you got an astra sri now?!
T21SVJ

19th Nov 08 at 23:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yea was happy to get rid of my focus.
corsasriboy

19th Nov 08 at 23:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

says something really doesnt it if you have owned the two cars this guy is looking at, and you sold one to buy the other. what year and engine is yours?
T21SVJ

19th Nov 08 at 23:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i looked at the astra mk4 before i got the focus, but the astra reminded me of my corsa inside abit, ended up gettin the ford.

the astra is a 55plate 1.8. only had it 2 days love it 2 bits.
corsasriboy

19th Nov 08 at 23:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ooooooo, nice! 140bhp arent they?
T21SVJ

19th Nov 08 at 23:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yea 140bhp.
andy1868

19th Nov 08 at 23:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

VVT aren't they shaun? VTEC YO!
T21SVJ

19th Nov 08 at 23:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yea VVT
Stokie Dave

20th Nov 08 at 01:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ta for the replies guys.

Spose I was looking at them from a change from Vauxhall, never driven a MK4 Astra but driven a Focus albeit a 1.8 TDDI but nice to drive, comfy and calm lol... but I'd probably want a petrol for the cash I'd have and with it being a 3 door etc... no 3 door TDCI models for cheap.

Didn't like the plasticy door cards much though.

Sat in some MK4 Astra's and they do seem familiar to the Corsa... not sure how detached the steering wheel feels from the wheels like the Corsa with it's PAS and how good the gearboxes feel as most Vaux boxes feel like splodge - mines surprisingly good though, best Vaux box I've used.

Just want a better image now for my age, and I do trust Vauxhalls

Do 1.8 SXI's do ok on fuel? Likely to be any quicker than the Corsa? I'd probs be looking @ the 115BHP 1.8 rather than 123BHP due to budget but guess not much in it, however whats the differences between the engines?

Looked @ 2.0 Focus's but most people getting really crap MPG round town which'd put me off for it not being particularly much quicker than Corsa, do like ST170's but well outta budget.
dannymccann

20th Nov 08 at 08:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My old work buddy had the 1.8 Astra SRi, he cained it everywhere and it was proper quick (apparently the 1.8s are quicker than the 2.0 sri's?). He got decent fuel economy, he would see high 30's if he drove it properly, quiet inside, decent ride think it even had TC? Think the Focus's get poor MPG for the performance you get from them?

edit - if it matters I believe the SRi is in a lower insurance group than the focus as well...

edit 2 - you can pick up Astra SXi's SRi's in DTi variety with 3 and 5 doors with 60 - 80k on them, 2001 models for as low as £1800 now as well, couple of pics of mine in the garage, bought it in May Y plate 60k £2000

[Edited on 20-11-2008 by dannymccann]
Stokie Dave

20th Nov 08 at 12:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ta for the reply mate

Looked on parkers, the 8BHP more 1.8 (post 2001 I think) seems to be a second quicker to 60, I'm more bothered about to 100 really but either way neither will be dead spritely lol... but not sure what the differences are between the engines.

Sounds pretty cheap for the diesel variant, the low down torque would be good as generally do 80% town driving also, so reasonable MPG would be nice as I'm skint at the mo till I'm sorted to get a fast car in the future and foot the bills which come with it
Ben G

20th Nov 08 at 13:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsasriboy
says something really doesnt it if you have owned the two cars this guy is looking at, and you sold one to buy the other. what year and engine is yours?

how can you say that when one is quite old now (mk1 focus) and one is near enough new (mk5 astra)

the ford focus mk1 was the best selling hatchback for a reason. not just because it was a cheap car.
corsasriboy

20th Nov 08 at 14:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Ben G

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by corsasriboy
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

how can you say that when one is quite old now (mk1 focus) and one is near enough new (mk5 astra)

the ford focus mk1 was the best selling hatchback for a reason. not just because it was a cheap car.

yeah,sorry, didnt realise he had a mk5 at the time hence me asking what year and engine his was

im sure they are good cars, but i was just giving my opinion from my experiences with both cars

quote:

Stokie Dave

Anyone got any experiences with them? Whatcha make of them?

he didnt ask which was the best selling hatchback. i must admit though, i do much prefer the focus dashboard. just bought the silver centre console for mine to try and brighten it up a bit.

[Edited on 20-11-2008 by corsasriboy]

Daveskater
Premium Member

20th Nov 08 at 16:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd have the Astra personally, partially because I can't stand the Mk1 Focus interior, and because the Astra will probably get better mpg.
quote:
Originally posted by Stokie Dave
I'd probs be looking @ the 115BHP 1.8 rather than 123BHP due to budget but guess not much in it, however whats the differences between the engines?
The 123BHP one is the Z18XE, and the 115BHP one is the X18XE1. Other than that I don't really know much else about them. The X18 is a cable throttle, though, and the Z electric

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
corsasriboy

20th Nov 08 at 18:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah, what he said ^^^^^^ i chose the slightly less powerfull x18xe1 as the cat is mounted under the car whereas on the z18xe its on the manifold which makes it more expensive.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Ford Focus's.. MK1/1.5's, or Astra MK4 instead? 23 database queries in 0.0173070 seconds