corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » Race track photos

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Race track photos
flame1987

User status: Offline
29th Nov 08 at 12:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im going to a race track tomorrow and will be taking my camera, Could anybody give me some advice on getting some good pictures?

Cheers!
Butler

29th Nov 08 at 13:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What lens have you got? Use shutter priority, knock the ISO down as much as possible, always pan with the cars, use speeds that match the cars, the faster they are going the faster the speed. Try 1/125 to start. Your aperture should be as wide as possible too. Thats all opinion, experiment and make sure youve got lots of space on your card and the battery is full lol.
Gaz

29th Nov 08 at 13:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ideally you want your shutter speed to be larger then your focal lenght if your going to do this handheld.
E.g
250mm = 1/250 or above

"Pan the cars" means to follow the car focused then click the shutter, NOT focus on a point and let the car drive through your shot.

Apart from that, keep an eye on the racing as you will miss the whole event by looking through the viewfinder and ENJOY yourself
flame1987

29th Nov 08 at 13:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers for the tips

Will be using a Sigma 70-300 DG APO

Have just joined talk photography and looking on there for tips aswell, This will be my first attempt at photography with a purpose everything else ive took has just been messing about, Have only used the camera half a dozen times so im not expecting much but it would nice to get some good shots
Gaz

29th Nov 08 at 13:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I take it you might be going to somewhere like Oulton park?

You will be using near enough the full focal lenght, of 300mm,
You may want to try some multi shot too, bursts of about 3, but be warned your card will fill!

If your on TP, look for post's by Badgerbaiter and Matt Sayle, they are near enough hardcore motorsport shooters.

I use RAW to shoot in so you get FULL access to the files your upload incase you need to tweek some things.
flame1987

29th Nov 08 at 14:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

am going to Ty Croes in Anglesey

http://www.angleseycircuit.com/

I am going with a guy who is racing there so will be up early and watch the qualifying etc
Gaz

29th Nov 08 at 14:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ahh yes, Get you main shots at Qualifying, By this i mean shots of cars going slower and clean Single car shots. you will be able to lower the shutter speed if they are going slower and it might give you a good idea on how fast certian corners are.

i would Save the race's for action, Bumps, crashes and of course multi car shots.

Get a map of the track with suggested speeds and look for your best oppertunity via that, try and walk around the track until you are happy with the position and backdrop of your shots.

flame1987

29th Nov 08 at 15:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Gaz for the help. I will try and remember it all for tomorrow and hopefully get a couple of shots, I just hope the weather is good
Gaz

29th Nov 08 at 15:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

think of it as a learning excersise, i would be very impressed if you nailed a shot on your first day out, that doesnt mean you wont get good shots though in the broad sense. If posted on TP though you will get some good constructive feedback
Graham88

29th Nov 08 at 22:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've done 2 drift days now and out of 1500 photos I'm yet to take a shot and think "that's the bollocks". I'm starting to think I should do something that's a bit slower to start off with!

Post your pics up when you're done mate
flame1987

1st Dec 08 at 21:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well i think i got a couple of good pics, I need to convert them from Raw though, Shot a load of shit but there are a few good ones which im happy with, Will have them on tomorrow!
Graham88

3rd Dec 08 at 14:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well?

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » Race track photos 23 database queries in 0.0093610 seconds