corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Carbs vs TB's

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Carbs vs TB's
neil h

User status: Offline
11th Dec 08 at 12:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Which is the best overal option for a c16/c20XE? Based on BHP/£ and general ease of use/fitting?

Also whats the arguments for/against chosing the C16XE over the C20?
Eck
Premium Member

11th Dec 08 at 12:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Carbs are cheaper than TB's, but have to be set up more often, and will not be as efficient as a good tb set up.

Also there are pro's and cons to the engine itself.

If you buy an early Corsa GSi then you have the engine that was designed for the car already in place, which normally will be more reliable. But obviously the C20 will give you big bang for quite little buck!
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

11th Dec 08 at 12:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can-o-worms
fazza

11th Dec 08 at 12:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as willay said.

depends on your budget and what u want but tb's can be set up alot more accurately and produce better results but cost alot more

1600 or 2000 on carbs are good and alot cheaper but
neil h

11th Dec 08 at 12:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, i thought it was a bit of a can of worms. Ultimately money is quite a big decider 'cus a TB kit is rather expensive (although bike TBs maybe a cheaper option).
fazza

11th Dec 08 at 12:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

your still needing standalone management though so still expensive
philip2

11th Dec 08 at 12:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

y does everyone think carbs need setting up/adjusting all the time? its crap, i never had problems with carbs going out of sync or anything, just need decent linkages and no play in anything

carbs are better money wise as cheaper...maybe £800 for everything 2nd hand + jetted to suit

tb's £2400 ish with mapping on top.(new) maybe £1500-£18002nd hand

for the average user there not much differance power wise between using carbs/tbs at top end anyway

but tbs have advantage of being neater, not mucking about with idle, main jets, emulsion tubes etc like you do with carbs. you can have an economy map if going for MOT and generally more efficient and can make the car more driveable if running silly cams etc

neil h

11th Dec 08 at 13:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone know if the Dbilas TB's are much cop? 'Cus they appear to be a straight bolt on job.
av it

11th Dec 08 at 13:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

most of them are straight bolt on but its the setting up and maintaining that costs the money
Daimo B

11th Dec 08 at 13:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by philip2
y does everyone think carbs need setting up/adjusting all the time? its crap, i never had problems with carbs going out of sync or anything, just need decent linkages and no play in anything

carbs are better money wise as cheaper...maybe £800 for everything 2nd hand + jetted to suit

tb's £2400 ish with mapping on top.(new) maybe £1500-£18002nd hand

for the average user there not much differance power wise between using carbs/tbs at top end anyway

but tbs have advantage of being neater, not mucking about with idle, main jets, emulsion tubes etc like you do with carbs. you can have an economy map if going for MOT and generally more efficient and can make the car more driveable if running silly cams etc

Carbs are neater actually if done properly

carbs are easier to get big hp, they generally seem to make more power with less modifications (worm opens) and for much less money.

But save that money, as u'll need the extra for the huge fuel amounts they drink when being pushed hard.

A lot of companies still use carbs on the C20XE.

Thing is with carbs is you setup where you want the power, by the size of the carbs. So you can go for smaller carbs, less peak power, more bottom and mid range, or bigger carbs and have less power down low but huge power top end.

TB can be mapped the whole way up to give a much more even power delivery.

Philip, why do people say it, because its true??? Maybe your carb readers are faulty, but carbs fall out of allignment, fact. Even my bike engine that has carbs needs to be re-alligned every so often. Usually your looking at every 6months-1 year.

1 person saying they don't need re-setting, but thousands saying they do, welll.......
av it

11th Dec 08 at 13:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

from my experience in the last 6 months i had a standard 20xe 150bhp then had bike carbs fitted with kent cams 185bhp now have tb's and am at 190bhp so far so between carbs and throttle bodies i would pick bike carbs again for cheapness and throttle bodies for cleaner and easier maintenance
sand-eel

11th Dec 08 at 13:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

throttle bodies will give better driveability and economy, thats about it.
philip2

11th Dec 08 at 16:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i know they will need some tweaking but the way everybody is saying, is that there that bad they need checkin constantly which they dont.

[Edited on 11-12-2008 by philip2]
Corsa_Sport21

11th Dec 08 at 18:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Carbs will sook the fuel no matter what.TBs are a bit more efficent.
Mike GSi

11th Dec 08 at 18:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i always thought that carbs were put on engines which have a distributer cap, and TB's go on engines with coilpacks How random is that
Linch

11th Dec 08 at 18:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Iv got dbilas ones, modified trumpets to fit them and iv got good results
Morley

11th Dec 08 at 18:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right I have twin webber 40mm DCOE carbs on a 14NV 1400 8v Nova SR block, and they sound incredible. The sound alone makes people from the ages of 18 upto 60 ask me questions like "what on earth have you got it that".

Fuel bill worries - pah, get over it! It's worth it when you hear the sucking over the roar of the exhaust.

I got my 40's for £200 on ebay, fully reconditioned, genuine webbers, as opposed to dellortos, BARGAIN

Inlet manifold cost me (IIRC) about £120/£140

Having them setup by minisport in padiham (BAAAAAD BAD IDEA, WOULD NOT RECCOMEND THEM TO ANYBODY) cost me around £100 and the trumpets for them must have been around £20.

That's less than £450 and I got a mate to help me fit them who had previous experience with them.

To have ever considered throttle bodies makes me want to kick myself as they are an incredible addition to my engine bay!

personally; Carbs all the way!
neil h

11th Dec 08 at 21:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So what engine management do you need to run carbs?
sand-eel

11th Dec 08 at 21:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if it has a dizzy no management is needed.
Delortos are better than webbers, people used to put the dellorto internals into webber 'shells' because the rules stated webbers only.
Morley

12th Dec 08 at 03:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Delortos and webbers being better or worse than eachother differ depending on what you are after. I know people who race professionally and also have performance track cars and their own garages/car parts shops that insist webbers are easier to adjust and better overall, but its swings and roundabouts IMO. Both sound the tits!!

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Carbs vs TB's 22 database queries in 0.0149190 seconds