corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » "I've not had use of photoshop. . .I acuired CS4 tonight so I've been sorting through them"

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author "I've not had use of photoshop. . .I acuired CS4 tonight so I've been sorting through them"
deano87

User status: Offline
19th Jan 09 at 19:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Title are the words of Mike B

What exactly do people do with CS4 (and other photo editing software) and their pics?

I got my camera for my birthday and have taken some quite nice shots, but they just don't compare to some peoples and I have a feeling they've been 'fettled' with on a photo editing software?

My pictures tend to look 'normal' where as some peoples are really crisp, sharp and vivid? How is this achieved?!

Take my avatar:

Show me what you'd do with your average photo in photoshop so I can compare. . .

[Edited on 19-01-2009 by deano87]
AndyKent

19th Jan 09 at 19:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I use Lightroom - much better.

One thing I always try to do is still to higher F-stop numbers. Really helps with better colour pick-up. Other than that, lightroom does most of the work.

Sometimes just give it a tweak to the saturation or sharpness but not too much. Rarely use photoshop personally.
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

19th Jan 09 at 21:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thought that sounded familiar

TBH, I shoot in RAW and most of my pics just go through the RAW conversion and that's it. Odd times I've cloned something out just to tidy it up a bit but that's generally if I've missed something when I've been taking the shot or if it was something unmoveable that I felt spoiled the shot in some way.

I've seen a few tutorials about post processing in photoshop for jpegs where you'll generally adjust levels, contrast/curves, saturation and sharpen it up a bit but that is essentially what you do when processing RAW files but RAW gives a far wider spectrum of choice regarding exposure, white balance, different colours can be emphasised or minimized depending on what effect you want or ie. the grass in a shot is a little washed out, adjust the green saturation, hue and luminance to really make it pop.

Being perfectly honest with you, the pics I posted after the comment you've quoted, when I saw them on the back of the camera, I thought I had 2 good shots and the rest I didn't like, after going through the RAW processing on them all, there were still a few I don't like, but I came out of it with 7 photos that I like.

Post processing in some cases really is essential, it can really change a picture. Don't get me wrong, the 2 shots I liked on the camera all I did in the RAW processing was sharpen them slightly, that's all they needed but other times a seemingly dull shot can be brought to life

I'll stop rambling on now anyway

I'll admit tho, I'm a RAW for life man now, I was using it on my fuji before I got the 450 and I don't think I've took any pictures as just jpegs, I've got it set to RAW and jpeg but that's usually just to see how much of an improvement there is, if any
deano87

19th Jan 09 at 23:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No no, that was really useful

I've read up about RAW and that you can literally change the image like you can on the camera.

I tend to try and get the desired effect on the camera with white balance etc. Colour saturation is what I haven't played about with
Graham88

19th Jan 09 at 23:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Before:

After:

Not a massive difference on your photo, but on some photos sharpening an image makes a much more noticeable difference.

[Edited on 19-01-2009 by Graham88]
deano87

20th Jan 09 at 00:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can see it in the rear light.

thanks.

I'm sure it probably works better with a higher res image too.
deano87

20th Jan 09 at 19:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone else?!
Matt L

22nd Jan 09 at 14:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

in photoshop as i dont shoot raw i will tend to do the following.

-levels
-curves
-sharpen & sharpen edges
-possibly exposure (depending on what im after)
- hue and saturation (again depending what im after)
and very occasionally i will use photo filters

and obviously depending on the picture i may clone stuff and crop things out etc etc.

tbh i just play with photos until i like them
Rob E

22nd Jan 09 at 18:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The clarity tool is also a very good feature for sharpening up images. I have a before and after one but im not sure if the difference will show up on the web. u2u me your msn if you want and i will send them over

[Edited on 22-01-2009 by Rob E]
deano87

22nd Jan 09 at 19:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u2u'd
Matt L

23rd Jan 09 at 09:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oo never used the clarity tool will have to have alook for it tonight could be of some use on a few pics lol.
Whittie

23rd Jan 09 at 11:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Before:

After:

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » "I've not had use of photoshop. . .I acuired CS4 tonight so I've been sorting through them" 23 database queries in 0.0123289 seconds