corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » diy depo's

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author diy depo's
smokey corsa

User status: Offline
3rd Feb 09 at 20:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im not paying depo prices on a budget car so does anyone have any tips for making my own ie seperating the glass from the plastic backs?

dean101287

3rd Feb 09 at 20:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

TIP: Dont use a hammer
dean101287

3rd Feb 09 at 20:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seriously tho you need to remove all electrics, place in hot water so the glue melts and then take your time and gently separate the glass from the plastic.
myatt

3rd Feb 09 at 21:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i tried mine with a blow torch and ended up shattering the glass, slightly to hot i think.
DannyB
Premium Member

3rd Feb 09 at 21:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Stick them in the oven to melt the glue, obviously keep your eye on them though.
tigra-tb

3rd Feb 09 at 22:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the best thing do is be take your time use a heat gun on a low setting (hair dryer if not got one) try to take care warming the glass as evenly as posible then run a piece of fishing wire or string around the seam and pull it tight then the glss should separate no worries. ideally use heat resistant paint (matt finish) to reglue id use tigerseal or some kind or strong sealent glue anyway steamed up headlights are the last thing you want
AndyCorsaSport

3rd Feb 09 at 23:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I work in a bodyshop so was handy to use the oven at work, its set about 80 degrees i think, but its a huge room. Then i just got a flat screwdriver inbetween and prised it gently apart.
arden_paul_m

4th Feb 09 at 00:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i put mine in the oven on about 80 degrees for about 5 mins, every so often trying to pull them appart. once they appart spray them! easiest mod i ever did!
stu_c

4th Feb 09 at 10:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you have valeo headlights then you will struggle!! but if your lights have clips around the outside of the glass and plastic then you have a good chance

when i did my clear lens fk's i put them in the sink glass first and poured BOILING hot water out of the kettle onto them filling the sink aswell it may take a few kettles then leave them for about 10 - 15 mins and get a butter knife and put it in betweek the glass and the plastic and it should just go through no problems then as you prize the glass apart get a stanley blade or very sharp knife and just cut the glue then it is nice and tidy

smokey corsa

4th Feb 09 at 15:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

some great info there guys thanks

and dean, you just saved me, i was on my way to the shed to get me hammer
3lfz

4th Feb 09 at 16:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What are valeo headlights?

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » diy depo's 22 database queries in 0.0117121 seconds