corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » New brake drums - new wheel bearings needed?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author New brake drums - new wheel bearings needed?
tom_simes
Show Staff
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

User status: Offline
15th Feb 09 at 18:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My current brake drums are warped So I'm planning on fitting a new pair next weekend - I'm just wondering whether its recommended to fit new rear wheel bearings at the same time, rather than swap them over from the old drums?

Either way, wheel bearings will need to be fitted into the new drums - are these an interefence fit, or held in with bearing retaining compound etc?

Do they need to be pressed in, or can it just gently be tapped into place with a socket?

Cheers,
Tom
tom_simes
Show Staff
Premium Member

15th Feb 09 at 22:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ttt
Sean-B

15th Feb 09 at 22:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

need to know also
evans_corsab

15th Feb 09 at 23:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just done my drums today , the bearings are just a drop in fit , im not shure if the new drums will be supplyed with the ruber dust seal on the back but that has a metal ring in it so its a hammer job
Richardhhha

15th Feb 09 at 23:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

get new wheel bearings they are easy to fit..

allyou need is a 22mm spanner and a hammer..

hammers needed to knock the bearingraces into place and the spanner to do the 22mm nut up..

should only take about half hour to fit them..
tom_simes
Show Staff
Premium Member

15th Feb 09 at 23:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok, cheers Rich, I'll get some new bearings and fit them - I've got no problems with the drums, as I took them off to check last week and found a fairly hefty lip on them, enough to have to use a puller to get them over the shoes!

The bearings were the only thing I was concerned about.

Cheers!

New Poll