corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Ebay : Buying From America

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Ebay : Buying From America
Mertin

User status: Offline
22nd Feb 09 at 13:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is there any hidden costs when buying from America? Postage costs are about 20 pounds. Is there any tax or other charges I may get hit with when it gets delivered?

Just wondering before I buy it
John

22nd Feb 09 at 13:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could get hit with VAT and Duty when it comes here.

With the exhange rate it would have to be mega cheap to risk the tax and duty imo.
ssj_kakarot

22nd Feb 09 at 13:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah seriously import duty is a killer, ordered some clothes to the value of about £30 got £32 odd in customs charges and handeling fees :/

work that one out.
Mertin

22nd Feb 09 at 13:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just got an email from the seller saying our government may hit me with an import tax and they have no control over it.

Its a snowboarding jacket, currently sitting at 18 pounds, brand new. Il keep an eye on it I think...
eddiewhiteley

22nd Feb 09 at 14:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think if you get them to put on the customs label that it is a gift then you shouldnt get charged import tax
John

22nd Feb 09 at 14:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No.
_Allan_

22nd Feb 09 at 15:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think gift only covers items up to about £18. Not checked recently. I have bought tons of stuff from US or HK and only have been stung once with import charges. £16 on a jacket that still made the deal worthwile. You take your chances....
Cavey

22nd Feb 09 at 16:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To be fair, head down to Mountain Warehouse, they have Parallel jackets from £20odd quid anyway, i've just got back from bulgaria and my jacket was fine
ShEp

22nd Feb 09 at 16:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bought £100 worth of items from HongKong

They were marked as a gift, and I was charged no extra
John

22nd Feb 09 at 16:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's either because they were marked as a low value or customs didn't bother looking, nothing to do with the gift.
sand-eel

22nd Feb 09 at 16:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

strange that, a mate got pistons from the US at about £500 odd and he didn't pay import tax because it was sent as a gift.
_Allan_

22nd Feb 09 at 16:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Goods sent as a gift are not free of import duties and import VAT. However, customs duty will not be collected if the amount is less than £7, and import VAT is not chargeable if:

the value of the gift does not exceed £36
the customs declaration is completed correctly
the gift has been sent from a private person outside the EU to a private person(s) in this country
the gift is for the use of either yourself or your family
there is no commercial or trade element and the gift has not been paid for either directly or indirectly
the gift is of an occasional nature only eg for a birthday or anniversary.
Please note the purchase of goods from outside the EU to give as a gift to a relative or friend, whether or not addressed to that person, is treated as a ‘commercial consignment’ for which the import VAT relief threshold is £18 (paragraph 2.3 refers).

Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

22nd Feb 09 at 16:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bought something from USA other week and got stung for TAX and Handling fee's as wasn't marked up as a gift!

Everything else I've got sent has been a "gift" and never been charged

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
John

22nd Feb 09 at 16:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Look on the customs website, it's nothing to do with gift, gift just means that you get £27 instead of £18 before they start charging.

Main factor i've noticed, must be literally hundreds of bits now, is who it's posted with.

If it's an expensive courier and it's all declared properly you get done.
If the value is down as 20 dollars you don't get done but then it can't be insured properly.

Things that end up being delivered by royal mail don't seem to get caught, parcel force nearly always do.
antnee

22nd Feb 09 at 16:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

John, the parcel force bit may be just that they collect things from customs if you have been charged.

Ive bought various bits, always markd down
Bonney

22nd Feb 09 at 17:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bought loads from america and other places, all was marked as a gift or a sample. Never got hit with any extra tax

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Ebay : Buying From America 23 database queries in 0.0145881 seconds