corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » who works in a college?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author who works in a college?
M2RTY

User status: Offline
25th Feb 09 at 22:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

agency rang me today to put forward my cv for ICT manager role

always worked for global companies, would be quite a good change given ecconomic situation

pros/cons of working in a college please?

thanks
Colin

25th Feb 09 at 22:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ian
Ian
Site Administrator

25th Feb 09 at 22:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pros - it's the right industry to be in right now.

Cons - there's no money, there will be a legacy of underinvestment, the hardware and software will probably be majority heterogeneous. And your users are mostly non-IT and some like breaking stuff.
M2RTY

26th Feb 09 at 21:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

35k a year sound okish?

aged 25 now
Ian
Site Administrator

26th Feb 09 at 21:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You'll know that based on your experience.

Depends who you are reporting to and the size of the organisation. If that was proper head of IT then no, the guy who runs ours is on £50k and the people under him £30k each. So you're doing better than the middle management but I wouldn't want to run anywhere too large for that money.

Which college it is anyway?
M2RTY

26th Feb 09 at 22:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bishop aukland college

report to finance director

quite large place
Ian
Site Administrator

26th Feb 09 at 22:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did you go for it already? Closing date is today at noon.
Ian
Site Administrator

26th Feb 09 at 22:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Christ - responsible for all IT in the college, office and admin, curricular, employer training and outreach, and comms.

And you get to be a duty manager as well, that's staying late and dealing with randoms who walk in off the street while night classes are going on, and also once a week being the guy that has to bollock people when they mess about in areas that aren't timetabled, corriders, the lift, the bikesheds you name it.

How many students?

[Edited on 26-02-2009 by Ian]
M2RTY

26th Feb 09 at 22:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

agency passed my CV on yesterday

sounds like they can gTF really lol, cheers

i would say a good few hundred?
Ian
Site Administrator

26th Feb 09 at 22:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it's in the hundreds then fair enough, perhaps that is OK. It looks small by the money and the fact they have some pastoral stuff in the job spec. So you would probably need to deal with kids. My place has 30k and enough staff to cope so none of the IT management staff have student contact as such. Smaller college wouldn't be in that position.

I wouldn't rule it out if it's a career step but it'll certainly be a challenge if you've never done anything in education before.
Colin

26th Feb 09 at 22:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As a student in a college I wouldnt want to work in one, no offence Ian
Ian
Site Administrator

26th Feb 09 at 22:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No I quite agree, it's not without its frustrations.
Colin

26th Feb 09 at 23:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In the one im at they have IT support folk but there like out on the front line in the 'learner base' up against the spotty chavs dossing on myface all day. I feel pretty sorry for them. Office job wouldnt be bad but all these modern colleges are open plan....sack that
Ian
Site Administrator

26th Feb 09 at 23:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That job won't be dealing with students directly in anything helpdesk but because its a managerial there's a degree of responsibility for the buildings. In mine if anything goes on at all there's a mobile phone which the duty manager carries and they get called to deal.
flybikeslee

26th Feb 09 at 23:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pros- Fit students
Cons- you'll be one if you dare

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » who works in a college? 22 database queries in 0.2009730 seconds