corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Un-baised opinions (Mbike day)...

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Un-baised opinions (Mbike day)...
Daimo B

User status: Offline
3rd Apr 09 at 10:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Come on then non bikers/bikers, this has been doing my head in for quite a few months now and I simply can't makeup my mind. Every single scenario has been played and im getting myself all confused.come now.....

Bikes, 2 wheels, power rangers kind...

I have 1 bike, its nothing special at all, but its a superb work hack (why I bought it) and is ultra reliable, great for touring, but not exactly a speed machine or a looker. It is a great bike for what it is though.

I want a toy, something to use on a lot of track days, but also summer rides, evening blats, maybe take it to work every so often. It'll be dy stored in the winter though (obvious reasons). Track days are the way forwards in terms of REALLY experiementing with the bike and getting the best you can from it.

I've wanted a particular motorcycle now for a few years. Im nearly obsessed by it I love it so much. Brand new I can get "daddy discount" and proabley get a brand new one for about £5000-£5500, or pickup a 2nd hand one for about £3500-£4k. Its a lovley bike, but theres always the thought of "what if i bin it" on a track day, can be taken for any nice sports bike bought I guess...

Or

Get a £1500 cheap sports bike, prob about 10 years old. Use it as a track slag, not worry if I bin it down the track. But then when I use it on the road, i'd always end up wishing I was on the other bike looking all tarty and fancy Financially, the cheap track bikes the better idea....

Theres quite a difference in the price, parts costs etc.. I could afford the cheap bike easily, and the other bike could be afforded, i'd just need to be a little carefull for a few months until i've re-saved to cover any possible "issues" (being Italian, its gotta go wrong )

So given the choice, bearing in mind its not going to be an every day bike (i'll be keeping my current one too), would YOU bite the bullet and get the thing you love, or go sensible and get the cheaper option.

If its hard to understand, put the bikes into cars, imagine it was the choice between running say a Brand new Evo as a track/weekend fun car, or buying a 106GTI and stripping it into a pure track slag and weekend car...... You'd enjoy the 106, but end up feeling like u'd bought the evo for the road aspect of it.....

Im not asking you to tell me what to do, im just asking what YOU would do...

[Edited on 03-04-2009 by VXR]
fir3vip3r

3rd Apr 09 at 10:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ahh thats a tough one mate

im very much into my bikes, in fact most of my family own bikes

is there no middle ground in this one? cant you buy a newer good looking bike for around the £3kish mark? or are you dead set on either of the options

i think id go for the second hand nice bike though mate, youll have the bike you want, and have a few extra pennies to spend if you braeak anything etc which im sure you wont.
mwg

3rd Apr 09 at 10:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd buy the one I'd always wanted
DizzyRebel

3rd Apr 09 at 10:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wouldnt get a really old track bike, take too much effort to go fast. if i was you id go halfway and buy a cbr600rr for track use.

or if you still wanted the benelli get like a zxr400 track hack for £500 as well as.

End of the day, you wont enjoy trackdays on something your scared of crashing as you never take it to the limit, and if you cant afford to crash it then your a fool if you take it to a track.

a_j_mair

3rd Apr 09 at 10:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you only live once, get some overtime in
K17STY

3rd Apr 09 at 10:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would get the one I Love. If you bin it you bin it, you would be insured anyway?

I never go one down, if you want something get it. Buying the cheaper option would be a waste of ££ towards the one you really want.

Stop thinking about it and just do it, you only live once
Tiesto

3rd Apr 09 at 10:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd buy the one you've always wanted 2nd hand. Then get a cheap trackday SS, which you wont mind too much scratching up etc. That would be my choice anyway.
DizzyRebel

3rd Apr 09 at 10:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nah if you crash on track your insurance wont cover it. only way around it is to pick it up, put it in a van and push it out the back while your doing about 50mph then phone police and insurance company.

you only live once, but you would enjoy something your not scared of crashing than something you clean with a cotton bud
Daimo B

3rd Apr 09 at 11:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The Nelli would get ridden hard, just not really pushed like i'd ride the track bike. Would take me longer to build speed etc..

Dizzy I was looking at steal framed CBR600's and GSXR600's (fat tail) in my price bracket.

See some interesting opinions here that varey.

The Nelli is my middle ground. My top top ground is reserved for excotics like Bimotas n such (£20k jobbies ) Im a badge whoare, but its got to be either these two options.

My heart says Nelli, my head says budget bike.

Other issue is i could buy a budget one as soon as I see it. With the Nelli, I have to wait until this whole financial thing picks up (due to mortgage) so I can sort out other financials commitments, THEN get the bike. But that won't be till later in the year meaning i'll be mising some of the summer.

I can't wait till next year, already waited too long
K17STY

3rd Apr 09 at 11:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well get the budget for this summer, get some track time in then sell and trade for nelli next year. Got a good few track hours under your belt by then too.

You not going to get insurance that covers track days?
Daimo B

3rd Apr 09 at 11:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nahhh no point. Your taking your own risks on a track as far as I see. Track day cover is silly expensive.

Worth it if theres a high chance of binning it, but its not something I actually plan on doing, but its enevitable it will happen eventually
R Lee

3rd Apr 09 at 12:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've just sold my GSX-R600 K6 for £4000.
Thats a total compromise between track toy, summer blat, country road blah de blah.
You' be able to pick one up easily.
Daimo B

3rd Apr 09 at 12:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£4k for a GSXR.....

Cheers but i'll go with the thing of beauty over that common as much jap stuff

You can pick an earlier K1 + K2 for under £2k.

I think im talking myself into my own decision over time

[Edited on 03-04-2009 by VXR]
AndyKent

3rd Apr 09 at 12:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If its going to be used solely on track, you'd be far, far better off with the cheap option.

If its a decent mix of track and weekend rides/take to work in the summer etc, then its got to be the one you've always wanted.

Besides, you've already made your mind up, why ask
Mobby

3rd Apr 09 at 13:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheap £1500, get your skill up and really have some fun on a bike your not worried about pushing the limits with, you know it makes sence :thumbs

Id hate to bin a brand new one, and thats all i think of when i think of track days
Eck
Premium Member

3rd Apr 09 at 13:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd get myself something that you could use on the track and give it death for Summer, then maybe try to sell it (for as close as possible to what you bought it for) and get your dream bike!
jr

3rd Apr 09 at 13:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

get a honda hawk, ride round the outside of everyone, sorted
Bonney

3rd Apr 09 at 13:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In the same boat at the minute. Do i go out and get a new one on the drip, or save up for a while and get a cheap one. Just cant decide at the minute.
J da Silva

3rd Apr 09 at 13:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd go all out and buy the dream bike, if i break it I'll buy a new one whilst I do the old one back up and the vicious cycle begins.
Carl

3rd Apr 09 at 14:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd go middle ground, half of each but something that you won't feel TOTALLY gutted if you bin it.
DizzyRebel

3rd Apr 09 at 14:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR
The Nelli would get ridden hard, just not really pushed like i'd ride the track bike. Would take me longer to build speed etc..

Dizzy I was looking at steal framed CBR600's and GSXR600's (fat tail) in my price bracket.

See some interesting opinions here that varey.

The Nelli is my middle ground. My top top ground is reserved for excotics like Bimotas n such (£20k jobbies ) Im a badge whoare, but its got to be either these two options.

My heart says Nelli, my head says budget bike.

Other issue is i could buy a budget one as soon as I see it. With the Nelli, I have to wait until this whole financial thing picks up (due to mortgage) so I can sort out other financials commitments, THEN get the bike. But that won't be till later in the year meaning i'll be mising some of the summer.

I can't wait till next year, already waited too long

Ive worked on a few benellis, notedly the tre RS and they are a good looking bike but build quality leaves some desire. They are an absolute wanker to get into neutral too! parts are deer but a 13k superbike for 5k brand new isnt something to be sniffed at lol.

If trackdays are your main aim id get a track bike first for under a grand and then get a used low mileage RS for the sunny day blasts. I know where theres a ZXR400 or cbr 400 for sale both under £700 and are plenty of fun on track.

I think its stupid tracking exotic bikes unless your willing to smash the thing to peices, its like having sex with a supermodel but shes just recovering from broken ribs... no fun cos if you ride her too hard and break something your going to pay deerly!
ianofbhills

3rd Apr 09 at 15:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldnt want to take the benelli on the track purely for the fear of binning it you will not enjoy the track day to the full extent. You obviously want the benelli so if i was you this would be my plan.

Ditch the bandit and free up some more cash

splash the 5k or whatever and get your benelli and pamper it love it treat it nice etc.

get another work hack some thing common so parts are easily available (ss600 of some description) that way you've got your work bike but you can always hammer it round the track if needs be. If you bin it at the track you will always have the benelli as a backup transport whilst you fix up the work hack from cheap 2cnd hand bits on ebay
ianofbhills

3rd Apr 09 at 15:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

or alternatively

ditch bandit still

cheaper work hack
cheap dedicated track bike
benelli
ianofbhills

3rd Apr 09 at 15:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

or better still

ditch bandit
ditch astra so freeing up even more cash

cheapo commuter for work
more money for something seriously exotic ex bsb ducati or similar

bimota v due?
Daimo B

3rd Apr 09 at 15:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DizzyRebel

Ive worked on a few benellis, notedly the tre RS and they are a good looking bike but build quality leaves some desire. They are an absolute wanker to get into neutral too! parts are deer but a 13k superbike for 5k brand new isnt something to be sniffed at lol.

If trackdays are your main aim id get a track bike first for under a grand and then get a used low mileage RS for the sunny day blasts. I know where theres a ZXR400 or cbr 400 for sale both under £700 and are plenty of fun on track.

I think its stupid tracking exotic bikes unless your willing to smash the thing to peices, its like having sex with a supermodel but shes just recovering from broken ribs... no fun cos if you ride her too hard and break something your going to pay deerly!

Qualitys normal Italian. N is engadged whilst moving still or yeah its a cow to get in. Little quiwks or Italian ownership.

Dad works with MotoGB and a few other places so parts and replacement is limited as to how quickly they can be shipped really. Been waiting parts for his RS for months now. He's got one the the LE's too, which is his baby!!!!! He'll never ever sell that now.

Any more info on the little 400's? Online selling or private.

Ian, best plan is that, but nahh, Astra is Donnas, Bandits not worth selling, wouldn't make much money back is shes done over 20k now.

Don#'t start tempting me with all out track slags please, i've seen yours, im already jealous as it is Bimota SB5 or 8 hmmmmmm....

Ian, I really like your idea about 2 sports bikes, but i'd have to keep Nelli a dry weather bike and become one of those tarty riders who flicks his hair and stuff

quote:
its like having sex with a supermodel but shes just recovering from broken ribs... no fun cos if you ride her too hard and break something your going to pay deerly!

FPMSL Dead true!!!!!!!

Been some really good varied opinions here. Back to the thinking board it is then.........

(Ironically just found out today that old man says he'll help the funding of Nelli when he gets his payout next year, so even he's saying get a cheaper slag to ruin now!!!)

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Un-baised opinions (Mbike day)... 22 database queries in 0.0145528 seconds