corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » bike day: helmet

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author bike day: helmet
Mo

User status: Offline
18th Apr 09 at 21:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

someone told me if u drop a bike helmet u gotta replace it...... thing is i got given one and i don't know if its been dropped. any way of checking. no visable signs i.e cracks, chips
_Allan_

18th Apr 09 at 22:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You should but most people will find that hard to stomach after spending £500+ on an Arai . A drop onto concrete from over a metre will cause internal compression of the foam/lining materials and can leave no visible mark on the exterior.
The next time you have an accident the helmet will be less effective.

Arai offer a free x-ray check. You can either go to their trailer at a bike event or call Phoenix Distribution. However I'm not sure this is for Arai's only or all makes.

Be warned though if they deem it damaged they will return it with the straps cut meaning new lid anyway

[Edited on 18-04-2009 by _Allan_]
Mo

18th Apr 09 at 23:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cool cheers Allan
Graham88

19th Apr 09 at 14:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by _Allan_
Be warned though if they deem it damaged they will return it with the straps cut meaning new lid anyway

Bunch of cunts
_Allan_

19th Apr 09 at 14:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

haha not really. If the helmet doesn't meet saftey criteria and is damaged then they will be liable if they return it for you to pop it back on your pretty bonce.
Gareth F

19th Apr 09 at 14:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good idea really.
dannymccann

19th Apr 09 at 14:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mo just buy a new helmet, dont bother with second hand mate
PaulW

19th Apr 09 at 14:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gareth F
Good idea really.

Indeed

If a helmet is deemed unsafe and damaged, its better to force them to buy a new one instead of just go yeah I'll get one come next pay day... As who is to say nothing will happen until then where the helmet could fail in the worst possible way...

I'd be pissed off yeah if they cut the straps on my helmet if I had this done, but I'd also feel better in the knowledge that I know I'm safe with a new lid!
fir3vip3r

19th Apr 09 at 14:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

get yourself a new helmet asap.. ive never ever skimped on a helmet like alan says, itll be hard to swallow if you drop your £500+ arai 10 minutes after you bought it but to me my life is worth more than £500 tbh

its the bmf show 15th-16th of may, if you need a new lid id advise getting there you could pick up a few bargains.
PaulW

19th Apr 09 at 14:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also the Thunderspring in Northwich on May 10th just incase your more local to the NW at the time

http://www.thundersprint.com/

Mo

19th Apr 09 at 18:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah think i'm gonna start looking for new bike gear. Any recommended websites u guys use?

Just done my CBT on a geared bike. Plan is to continue with a fast track course and get the full license
Bonney

19th Apr 09 at 18:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

try j&s accessories, there pretty decent
Mo

19th Apr 09 at 18:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

will check it out
PaulW

19th Apr 09 at 19:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

J&S have a 20% sale on at the moment aswell, I think all there online prices have been adjusted accordingly!
fir3vip3r

19th Apr 09 at 19:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

theres a j and s shop near me and correct 20% off everything which makes it quite reasonable for once.
Mo

19th Apr 09 at 19:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wow just been looking at this JS website and the prices for helmets vary alot. what the deal with that?
Daimo B

20th Apr 09 at 09:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mo
yeah think i'm gonna start looking for new bike gear. Any recommended websites u guys use?

Just done my CBT on a geared bike. Plan is to continue with a fast track course and get the full license

Don't use a website. Bike gear isn't high street fashion.

get your ass to a bike show, theres plenty thoughout the year. NEC, Ally Pally, Excel etc... Prices are much cheaper, and you get to try everything on.

Failing that, just got to all your local bike shops, find something you like and that fits well.

If your using it in the winter, don't forget it'll need to be able to be stripped.. (I.E my textiles jacket has 3 layers, plenty of external zips to allow the air in the summer, and lots of padding in the elbows, back, shoulders etc).

Look and try gear on. Some higher named brands have less padding and arn't as good.

I'd tend to stay away from Frank Thomas gear. Expensive, and does't seem to rate that well in terms of lasting. That said, my current jacket of 2 years is a FT and its bloody good, but all other FT gear i've had hasn't been good.

And if your a summer rider, just go for leathers straight away.
Mo

20th Apr 09 at 09:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nice one VXR.... will be mostly a summer rider. Still have a car to use. I'm completely new to all this bike stuff don't know anything about brands, gear etc. Got 2 bikes shops local to me so will have a look in them soon.
Daimo B

20th Apr 09 at 09:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pop down there and have a look round.

For leathers, i'd say get a 2 peice set (Jacket, and trousers) that can be zipped up (so you can do track days if you want in the future).

Leathers vary in quality, thickness, material type, so do a little online research to find whats going to be best for what you use the bike for. I'd look to spend between £300-£600 on a good set.

NEVER buy a 2nd hand helmet, your life is worth more than that.

Alan's covered the hairline fractures in a skid lid. The shouldn't really be knocked, but they will do, u'll always end up knocking it on a table or something Lids are a fashion thing these days, most are quite safe. Look to spend between £100 for a budget lid, going up to £200-£300 for a good decent one, and upwards of that for rich mofo's

Gloves, summer gloves would be ok. They allow a lot more air in, they are usually quite slim, with some kind of carbon, or plastic, or titanium accross the knuckles. About £40-£120

Boots, well the most common cheap boots are SIDI's. Mine are tatty now, but they have seen the floor a few times. Protection isn't really great (esp top of foot), but they will take a scraping down the road and still have good heel protection. Usually around £100-£150. I change my boots for a set of thicker winter ones for the colder seasons.

As with everything, knowledge comes with experience as time goes on. Where I use mine every day, I go thorugh jackets every 2 years. I got more old jackets n boots n crap everywhere I really should thown out Summer riders won't be so bad and the gear should last you a good few years.

[Edited on 20-04-2009 by VXR]
Mo

20th Apr 09 at 10:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

keep the info rolling
PaulW

20th Apr 09 at 12:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you're like me though, boots will cost in excess of £350
Daimo B

20th Apr 09 at 13:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll bet odd you've got Daytonas
Mo

20th Apr 09 at 19:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

for a first set of boots i think i'll pass at paying £350+
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

20th Apr 09 at 20:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i got a nitro helmet for £25 from ghost bikes
PaulW

20th Apr 09 at 20:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR
I'll bet odd you've got Daytonas

Yes, but custom made size 51's

Ordered them just before Christmas... ummm yeah, still waiting on delivery (should be this week)

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » bike day: helmet 22 database queries in 0.3988061 seconds